What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Edible Mushroom Hunters/Gatherers...

C

Cep

I think they were $15, but not sure. That price is a bit high but it is early for them and they were in really good shape. The guy also had burn morels for $26 that were coming from over 5000ft.

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Chanterelles and Matsutake'

Chanterelles and Matsutake'

Your pictures just might not be showing up for me. Ran into an instance where someone else couldnt see certain pics. Who knows.

15$ sounds pretty low to me. They were well over 20$ last year at the market.

Here is a haul of Matsutake' (Armilaria ponderosa) from last year The season was excellent last year
picture.php
picture.php

And here is a Chanterelle haul from several years back. Chanterelle season was slow for me at my patches.......
picture.php
picture.php

C

Cep

That photo of the matsi's was taken in December... same day they were picked? I had really poor matsi picking last year, but my spots start producing mid Oct typically. Maybe I should have checked them in Nov.

Also had really poor winter bolete picking on the coast. When I say poor, I mean 3 mushrooms. Those spots usually put out between 30-50 lbs. Farmers almanac shows a wetter, more normal fall which will probably be good for the fungi. Also good for botrytis on my flowers.

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Mushrooms seemed a bit late coming on last fall due to dry weather. Black chanterelles were very late. Did you get any blacks last winter?

C

Cep

Craterellus of Polyozellus? I've never actually went looking for for prior and have stumbled on the latter only once. You probably mean black trumpets. I think you're probably further south where the picking is better for them? I've heard they are under oak. How many can you usually find? I've gotten to the point where gas is so expensive and my time is really limited that when I go to the woods I want to come back with a haul. You know? Plus I have gardens to tend and all that goes along with em. Kind of a bummer, I used to be in the woods all fall hunting and picking until this new hobby dominated my life!

Biosynthesis

Veteran
BLACK TRUMPETS (Craterellus cornucopioides)

BLACK TRUMPETS (Craterellus cornucopioides)

Yes black trumpets (Craterellus cornucopioides) also called black chanterelles, horn of plenty or just plain blacks. Must have hiked a few hundred miles last season. Really had the bug for collecting. Golden chanterelle season was slow last year for me and blacks were slower. They are the tastiest of the chanterelle group IMO.

C

Cep

Holy crap I didn't know they got that big! You picking into old grocery baskets? Once I realized how ideal of a container these things are I tried to buy them from the local Albertson's. They ended up getting the manager only to tell me they couldn't sell them (I offered $20/basket thats how bad I wanted them). Consequently I accidentally walked out the the store then next week with my groceries in baskets...

Biosynthesis

Veteran
These are mushroom baskets you can pic up from the local buyers. They usually give you some when you sell, its good PR. Grocery baskets would be bomb. Love to get me some of those. These blacks are only about 3-4 inches, but when you find one you are sure to find more and they can grow in batches or troups as they are referred to. As you may know, a very difficult mushroom to spot. As difficult to get an eye for as morels.

C

Cep

Ah, I was assuming that container was the same size as the ones I use which would make them closer to 6-8". Pay a visit to Albertsons, they have the biggest, most durable baskets. You won't regret it. You are finding them under Oak, correct? I'm assuming, just as with morels, that once your eyes adjust to the shape its not as difficult.

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Hope the farmers almanac is right. Need a good season this year, last year sucked all around but because of the enormous amount of time spent affield lots of new species identified. Found a few Lions Mane (Hericium erinaceus). Lactarious deliciosus was plentiful. Found new types of boletes that I had never ate before that were very good. Found some monster hedgehogs. Identified a fungi named beefsteak fungus but didnt have the guts to try it, lol. Oh and the 60 pounds of lobsters in 3 hours made the trip worth it. Looking forward to a more productive season this year.

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Ah, I was assuming that container was the same size as the ones I use which would make them closer to 6-8". Pay a visit to Albertsons, they have the biggest, most durable baskets. You won't regret it. You are finding them under Oak, correct? I'm assuming, just as with morels, that once your eyes adjust to the shape its not as difficult.

Yeah the blacks are under oaks in certain areas and madrones in others.

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
Yup, last fall in Nor. CAL. yielded many Lactarius Deliciosas.

Thanks for all the great photos....!

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Hypomyces lactifluorum

Hypomyces lactifluorum

Here is a picture of fresh Hypomyces lactifuorum (Lobster Mushrooms)
picture.php

EducatedHippy

time to get the scanpan out / hit some cones of some og/mm / saute some butter and eat some mushrooms i believe i will be in business oyeaa

C

Cep

Weeeyoooo this rainy September was crap for the flowers but boy are the fungi loving it.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php