What's new

Doing IT outside, Geurilla style 2010

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
like most indoor growers, i have wanted to work with the power of the sun for ages, so this year i am throwing myself into the adventure of growing on public land.

so far i have gps'ed 2 good spots and 1 that needs more checking out.
1 spot has now got 3 plants hopefully growing there. planted them yesterday after noon.

the first 3 plants were planted using the indigenous soil, i tri ed to loosen it up for them as much as possible, but i noticed the forest soil is pretty compact when you dig down more then 3 inches or so.

anyway here we go with the first planting session pics, beginning with on the way...

man was it sweaty getting up the steep incline to where my spot is, i nearly tumbled back down twice as it had rained the night before and the ground was slippery, plus my ascent was hindered by lots of dead wood making the whole thing more perilous. still once up there it flattens out and i could probably add another 1 or 2 plants to that spot. i got all the gear like the fencing in the forest on my bike, then on foot. next time i want to take earth along too, unless the next spot has better earth.

anyway i was lucky as it is raining tonight, hence my seedlings should at least have a chance. as you can see in 1 of the pics, there is a river relatively close to this spot, so if it's a really hot summer i can always bring them water from the river. mind you that's if these can adapt to the forest soil.

my idea with this spot was that the steep cliff sloap makes it so hard to get there it should be safe from casual hikers coming across it, while the foresters have already cleared that area by the looks of things.

Last edited:

Molson

I see you're using green chicken wire, nice. Much more inconspicuous than then standard stuff. Do you have deer/rabbit problems or are those up just as a precautionary action? Nice touch staking them down too. I got lazy this year and ended up staking down only about half my cages. Used some fish emulsion fertilizer and came back a few days later and something had dug through the beds, knocked over the cages that weren't staked down, uprooted a few seedlings, and chewed the shit out of the tablespoon measuring spoon I had left there. Looks like I'm stuck with using chemical ferts for now...

And I hope you don't have to cross that stream to get to your spot. I have to wade through knee deep water to get to mine, otherwise I'd literally have to jungle through a football field of 10ft high cat tails. It sucks. I either have to hike with my waders on or just deal with getting my boots and feet soaked. The close water access is nice though.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
I see you're using green chicken wire, nice. Much more inconspicuous than then standard stuff. Do you have deer/rabbit problems or are those up just as a precautionary action? Nice touch staking them down too. I got lazy this year and ended up staking down only about half my cages. Used some fish emulsion fertilizer and came back a few days later and something had dug through the beds, knocked over the cages that weren't staked down, uprooted a few seedlings, and chewed the shit out of the tablespoon measuring spoon I had left there. Looks like I'm stuck with using chemical ferts for now...

And I hope you don't have to cross that stream to get to your spot. I have to wade through knee deep water to get to mine, otherwise I'd literally have to jungle through a football field of 10ft high cat tails. It sucks. I either have to hike with my waders on or just deal with getting my boots and feet soaked. The close water access is nice though.

Hi Molson

as far as i've been told by others, there are deer and rabbits that like to eat the young plants, even snails early on can make a line through your plans. i did actually want to surround them with a snail wall too, but i forgot about that till it was way too late. with any luck the snails will stay closer to the river, but we will see.

wow sounds like getting to your spot is a total adventure in it's self lol. i can get quite close by bike to this spot, just takes a good 40 minutes to get out there and a steep climb at the end.

got a bag of earth today, i intend to give each plant from now on some 15 lt of earth, which i'll mix in with whats there. once i got my mate and his car we will probably dig big 25lt holes and fill them with some garden center earth.

i also need to get more of the green chicken wire, only have enough for another 3 plants or so. here are some pics of the new batch and the 5 left from the first batch. i killed 2 seedlings in my mite recepy thread experimenting with alternative mite control methods lol.

:wave:

G

Guest129216

Nice looking spots and plants man. You've got some great times ahead of you. Happy grows!

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
very pretty spots you have there. good luck on the grow.

Thanks NickMode, good luck is always appreciated by us growers. yes i'm lucky to live so near such lovely countryside and forests.

Nice looking spots and plants man. You've got some great times ahead of you. Happy grows!

Hi Bom, you know i really had to force myself to get going to plant those babies, but once out there it was amazing, time flew like crazy and i didn't even take a spliff with me to enjoy out there.

so these pics are all from one spot, today i hope to plant 1 in a new spot. this time i'm taking some earth along to give the plant a better chance.

thanks for your good wishes guys

puff......puff......pass :joint:

rocket high

Veteran
gaiusmarius thats looking real good man ... you have slidey hills, i have peat bogs to negotiate "twist your ankle time" lol
i like the green chicken wire where did you get it from .... or was it "acquired";) if you know what i mean.............am going to keep an eye on this ..subscribed :)

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
2nd visit to spot 1

2nd visit to spot 1

today i actually wanted to got to the second place i want to use and start there with 1 plant. so i packed my rucksack with a piece of chicken wire, wire, gloves, 15lt ferted earth mix, camera, gps, empty water bottle, hand hoe, Swiss army knife, 1 joint of sdxcj and one FD seedling wrapped in newspaper like a bunch of flowers...

on a whim i decided, instead of going to the new spot, i'd add 1 more to the first place and check on things while there, i parked my bike and locked it quite a ways away from where i have to leave the path to climb to my spot. after a quick look up and down the path to check that no one was in sight i left the path and started the climb. after only a quarter of the way, i noticed how much heavier i was breathing then before, those extra 15lt of earth were a killer on the way up, partly on all fours hanging on to small trees etc. as soon as i got to the first plant i let myself fall to my knees in exhaustion and disappointment. my chicken wire cage was still standing firmly, but all that was left of the seedling was a stem sticking out of the ground, not a leaf anywhere, not even a chewed bit of leaf on the ground. what a disappointment, but a lesson to be learned too.

after getting my rucksack off and some air back into my lungs i quickly made my way to the 2nd plant about 10 meters away, i spotted the cage after a few seconds and breathed a quite sigh of relief as i saw the seedling still there and looking well. it actually had grown and thickened it's stem. at this point i saw with 1 glance that the 3rd plant was still ok too, you could tell that some thing had tried to move the cage. but it didn't get in. why didn't it get in you ask? well strangely enough on a whim i had decided to wire those two plants chicken wire cages shut at the top last Monday when i planted them. i really didn't think it was a needed precaution when the plants were still so short, but apparently it's needed. at least it only cost me 1 seedling to learn this lesson.

does anyone piss around their spots to scare away wild? does it work i wonder?

i also decided to spend some time making a small dam and flat area around each plant so that the rain water has a better chance to sink into the earth. as they are on a slope i thought this would help them. took quite a while, i need to get a fold-able shovel for future digging. saw some nice ones online, but i don't like to wait, will check my local camping supplier tomorrow

last but not least i went back to the first plant and cleared a bigger area and started digging with my hand hoe, using my blade to cut any roots in the way. i noticed it's a lot more work without a shovel. :laughing:

still i noticed that even though the earth is very compact it is full of earth worms when you dig down a bit

so after all that work im back to 3 plants lol, but at least 1 of them now has a nice bit of good earth. i also decided to plant this one deeper, i actually forgot to take a pic of the finished hole, but it was nice and deep. in the end i watered the newly planted one well and the other with about 200ml each. was loaded down to much for any more water carrying containers. but i stashed one there now so next time i'll bring another so i can give them a good soaking each. i also covered the freshly dug earth up again with the forest floor mulch, this is also supposed to help with humidity same as the dam on the slope side of the plants.

picture.php

peace

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
gaiusmarius thats looking real good man ... you have slidey hills, i have peat bogs to negotiate "twist your ankle time" lol
i like the green chicken wire where did you get it from .... or was it "acquired";) if you know what i mean.............am going to keep an eye on this ..subscribed :)

i suppose in the end it's all part of the fun of growing on public land, you get to sneak around marshes and woods like a kid. :dance013:

we had better watch out, a twisted ankle in the middle of no where wouldn't be fun hehe.

i got that chicken wire from a friend who had it laying around in his cellar. he also promised me some powdery fert i can add on top, which will sicker down to them when it rains or i water the, hopefully it will not be the latter too many times :)

good of you to join the show, saw your getting near to planting too eh?

peace :tiphat:

T.rips

nice job man, sorry to hear about your losses unfortunately its just something that happens.. i know that feeling of emptiness to walk up to a plot and see the whole think munched down to nothing.
Thats what we get though for planting in the forest though..animals have to eat and why not a cannabis salad

G

Guest129216

Really nice update man!:thank you:

i suppose in the end it's all part of the fun of growing on public land, you get to sneak around marshes and woods like a kid.

It really feels like an adventure this outdoorgrowingthing. Sneaking around in the forest makes me feel like a kid againg too. And the feeling that comes when I think I hear someone....... Just like beeing back in kid school, sneaking around doing thinghs you are not supposed to do.

does anyone piss around their spots to scare away wild? does it work i wonder?

I do, but I had plants wrecked by deer last year anyway.

Deer have very good sence of smell(and other animals), and they don't want contact with humans, so that's the reason why I believe in it.

Does it work? I don't know. I have never seen any scientific work on the matter, but it is a very common belief that it does work. I read on another forum about this guy who cut his pubic and ass hairs

:fsu:

and left them on the growspot too...... But I have never tried that.......

Later man!:gday:

blackone

Veteran
Good luck out there Gaius:) A lot of hard lessons to learn for us spoiled indoor growers when we go outside... This year I'm actually focusing more on my outdoor grow than indoor and I just hope it's worth it. Last year was a bit of a disappointment for me but at the same time showed me how good it can get because I managed to harvest bud that was not far behind indoor quality - I just hope I learned enough lessons last year;p
I hope your other plants make it alright.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
nice job man, sorry to hear about your losses unfortunately its just something that happens.. i know that feeling of emptiness to walk up to a plot and see the whole think munched down to nothing.
Thats what we get though for planting in the forest though..animals have to eat and why not a cannabis salad

yeah you said it, you have to calculate that some will not make it, that's why i am planning to put out at least 10 more plants. i wish i'd started those outdoor seedlings earlier so i could be putting out clones as well. but none of them are big enough to make more then 1 clone lol.

anyway, do you think i'll need to make a larger cage for them as they grow, or will they be less tasty once they reach maturity? don't know how i'd get taller fencing up there. maybe some how i'll make them bigger with wire and stakes.

Really nice update man!:thank you:

It really feels like an adventure this outdoorgrowingthing. Sneaking around in the forest makes me feel like a kid againg too. And the feeling that comes when I think I hear someone....... Just like beeing back in kid school, sneaking around doing thinghs you are not supposed to do.

I do, but I had plants wrecked by deer last year anyway.

Deer have very good sence of smell(and other animals), and they don't want contact with humans, so that's the reason why I believe in it.

Does it work? I don't know. I have never seen any scientific work on the matter, but it is a very common belief that it does work. I read on another forum about this guy who cut his pubic and ass hairs

:fsu:

and left them on the growspot too...... But I have never tried that.......

Later man!:gday:

glad you like the new update, things are still quite boring at this point, but as you say just being outside like that, gives a whole new charm to it.

i wonder if cat pee would be any use? maybe old kitty liter? man i wouldn't leave any hair or nail clippings, that's dna right there. of course here where i am things are pretty chill, so a few plants in the forest will not lead to any investigation. still wouldn't be leaving them my dna though, lol. at least if you pee some where it will sink into the ground and not be visible and easy collectible like hair.

Good luck out there Gaius:) A lot of hard lessons to learn for us spoiled indoor growers when we go outside... This year I'm actually focusing more on my outdoor grow than indoor and I just hope it's worth it. Last year was a bit of a disappointment for me but at the same time showed me how good it can get because I managed to harvest bud that was not far behind indoor quality - I just hope I learned enough lessons last year;p
I hope your other plants make it alright.

thanks man, i can use all the luck i can get with this adventure. i'm sure i still have many lessons to learn, plants to lose :) in the end i look at this as a learning experience as well a chance to spend more time out doors then i normally would, if in the end i get some decent smoke out of it, i'll be more then happy.

i must say, this site gives us a great opportunity to learn from mistakes and lessons of others, giving us a chance to avoid said same mistakes.

if the weather is decent tomorrow i will scout out the second location a bit better and start preparing some holes and clearing some shrubs/young trees if needed to let the sun in. this spot is also on a slope, just not so steep, but this slope is covered in secondary growth. not so sure if the foresters might not end up thinning that shit out a bit at some point.

still didn't get a folding shovel, i noticed some models have a pick and even a saw edge on one side of the spade, that's what i need really.

thanks for your interest guys

rocket high

Veteran
thanks gaiusmarius ...sorry to hear about your little seedling getting murdered by dear its happend to me too ..i feel your pain

yes i do have a water source, it's a little stream ..but i want to use a water collector so its just rain water ...with no nasties in it really..
it's because am lazy and cant be arsed hauling water up to the girls tbh

good luck with your grow bud

rocket high

Veteran
am not a wizz on photoshop but heres a diagram of what i mean ...
it just catches water for my lazy ass am going to make wicks that come off this as well so i dont have to worry about them drying out when im not there

Am going to finish the fort 2morrow i'll post some pics then... to show you what ive been up to :biggrin:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
thanks gaiusmarius ...sorry to hear about your little seedling getting murdered by dear its happend to me too ..i feel your pain

yes i do have a water source, it's a little stream ..but i want to use a water collector so its just rain water ...with no nasties in it really..
it's because am lazy and cant be arsed hauling water up to the girls tbh

good luck with your grow bud

am not a wizz on photoshop but heres a diagram of what i mean ...
it just catches water for my lazy ass am going to make wicks that come off this as well so i dont have to worry about them drying out when im not there

Am going to finish the fort 2morrow i'll post some pics then... to show you what ive been up to :biggrin:

sounds interesting, i could use some kind of collection method too, i just wonder how much of an eye sore it will be. anyway i'll be watching out for your update, look forward to seeing what you been up to, are you talking about wicks leading from the water collection device to the plants? this i have to see.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Check up and new site preperation update

Check up and new site preperation update

well today was another of those beautiful hot sunny days we are getting at the moment. nice out door weather, alas not just for me and my plants, being Saturday the river was quite crowded with grilling families, bike riding groups and dog walking people. luckily even in this nice weather most folks are too lazy to go to far from where ever they can park relatively near by. still knowing this i decided to go late today in the hopes of at least being able to get from the path to my spot without being seen.

things went well once again, i made sure to take another route up the slope and even spent a bit of time covering up one or two old slip marks i had made. i'm hopping as time goes by and they get a good rain i will not need to go there so much, but for today, specially my newly planted seedling in it's own earth mix needed a real good dose of water to get that store bought earth properly wet at least once.

my cages are working ok so far, i still get the feeling some thing, probably a deer is trying to push the cage over, but they are not succeeding and every time it looks moved i add more stakes :)

New Spot this one needed lots of work clearing out shrubs and small trees till i finally got a nice opening in the canopy, will probably have to chop down a few more trees before i'm satisfied with the light situation. but i think in future i will look for places that are already sunny without me having to chop down so much.

Checking/Watering the Biatches first up the newest lady in that hood, this one has the hole full of luxury earth, with only about 25% of the indigenous earth mixed in. after just 2 days she seems to be nearly as big as the ones that have been there for 6 days, alas in the forest soil.

picture.php

here the 2 in the forest soil, you will see they have stretched quite a bit, the stem seems to be thicker on top then it is near the base. hope they are strong enough to survive heavy winds shoul they have to.

rocket high

Veteran
looking good gaiusmarius they might need bigger mesh as they grow but you probably know that anyway...about the water catcher im puting it in the tree next to the pen with the wicks running down from it ...well thats the theory anyway... it might change

ive updated my thread but i never got anything done because it was pissing with rain and soaked me through ...but seeing the eagle's made it worth while they dont half make some noise...... i think they're getting to know me now lol

EL MACO

Hi friend gaiusmarius,

Beautiful place chosen for the guerrilla, lovely river, probably with someone clean, this is very good for plants ...

I love seeing the world outside guerrilleros friend doing his guerrillas, this is amazing ..

Good harvests brother, and I will follow the development of growing guerrilla.

Saludos

Guerrillero EL MACO :tiphat: