What's new

Bat Guano or Fish Bone Meal for Flowering?

Granger2

Veteran
Both need the microherd to break them down to be plant available. I'd prefer the FBM since it has proportionately less N in flower. Easy to top dress with. Good luck. -granger

Scrappy4

Veteran
Lambs quarter is full of P and around where I live 45 N, it's blooming right now. I picked a half 5 gallon bucket of chopped up lambs quarter, then topped it off with assorted wild flowers that are also in bloom like sweet clover, and whatever else, flower wise, I could find to fill the bucket, then I added about 1/4 cup molasses, filled to the brim with water. Then I put it in a warm shaded area to rot a week or two.

And that will be my flower fertlizer. 5 gallons cost me a little molasses and an hour of wandering around in a field of flowers. I might also use kelp meal in teas. I bought a 50lb bag at a local feed store. That cost me the equivalent of a 1/4 oz for two or three years of kelp meal. And both of these have everything a flowering cannabis plant needs. Well compost and that, lol.

C

CheifnBud2

For outdoor this year i used a product called "Dr. Earth #8 Flower Girl". 4-10-7 worked amazing as a late veg / flowering amendment top fed at 1 cup per 20 gallons. Plants greened back up and are loving it. I'm pretty sure it contains fish and bone meal, and could be used for an amended soil.

A lot of people are moving from bone meal to fish for some reason though.

Last edited:

FatherEarth

Veteran
please share your results scrappy... Id love to follow along a grow show like the one you mentioned...

Dkgrower

Veteran
I also find that high P guano is to loaded with N to be used in midflower, i use it as a starter after cuttings have rooted..

@Scrappy first i thought that you where talking about lamb meat LOL, then i goggel it and found that is a weed that i have all around me, thanks for adding yet another source for home brews...

Scrappy4

Veteran
I also find that high P guano is to loaded with N to be used in midflower, i use it as a starter after cuttings have rooted..

@Scrappy first i thought that you where talking about lamb meat LOL, then i goggel it and found that is a weed that i have all around me, thanks for adding yet another source for home brews...

This is a great resource for homemade fertilizer, if anyone wants to explore this topic more.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=94673&highlight=Fermented+extracts

bigshrimp

Veteran
Some indonesian (.5 - 13 - .2) works really well for me around week five. I usually use about a tablespoon mixed up and watered in.

If i was to use FBM i would topdress a couple weeks earlier to allow it to begin to decompose in time for it to be available.

Mr. Krinkle

funny you say that - ive noticed that too - even though it says its a zero in N , there's some N in it for sure sometimes - thats why i won't use guanos anymore after week 2

symbiote420

Veteran
More p or k for flowering?

You need more of both. Plants still use a lot of N til about the 2nd week or so in bloom depending upon the strain, but the need for a lil more K begins right before blooming when plants have been or are being vegged a lil longer and all thru the bloom phase. More P is needed during the cloning, seedling, and bloom stages. If growing TLO try not to overdo it with the P, too much can affect the microherd in a negative way.

R

Robrites

For outdoor this year i used a product called "Dr. Earth #8 Flower Girl". 4-10-7 worked amazing as a late veg / flowering amendment top fed at 1 cup per 20 gallons. Plants greened back up and are loving it. I'm pretty sure it contains fish and bone meal, and could be used for an amended soil.

A lot of people are moving from bone meal to fish for some reason though.

I just got a bag of this....is that 20 gallons of water or soil?

FatherEarth

Veteran
I guess the real question is why wait until flowering to add the nutrients the plant needs... How come its not already in your soil?

R

Robrites

New

New

I guess the real question is why wait until flowering to add the nutrients the plant needs... How come its not already in your soil?

I think sometime those of us new to (or still learning about) organic soil "Just want to make sure" we have enough nutrients for the plants to finish properly.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
I'm a big fan of Jamaican bat guano (0-10-0) and Foxfarm Big Bloom (.1-.7-.3) for flowering.

-Funk