What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Whos getting ready for 2012 Veggie Season :-D !!!

Oh boy,

Where I live its winter now, just start, finally snow is "staying" on the ground and not melting away, we are 1 month behind past annual patterns, odd weather indeed.

BUT nonetheless... tis the season I start planning my upcoming
vegetable garden. For the past few years I have been planting
upward to 40 different varieties, ill list what I can remember, I usually forget a few and they will just pop up later in my head :-D

Every year though, when I add a new species of crops to my garden
I'll continue to grow that species for years to come whether the original I started with or a more stable variety for my climate or conditions.

Some I use now are...

Tomatoes
-Brandywines(better then beefsteak)
-Early Girl
-Roma
-Yellow
-Cherry Tomatoes both yellow/red
-Black Krim
-Better Boy

Peppers
-All color Bells
-banana
-baby sweets
-habanero
-serrano
-jalapeno
-cayenne
(All the hot peppers are grown on opposite
side of garden then the sweet peppers)

Legumes
-Peas
-Pole Beans

Hardy Broad Leaf Family
-Cabbage
-Broccoli
-Cauliflower
-Collards
-Brussel Sprouts

Salad Greens
-Romaine Lettuce
-Iceburg Head lettuce
-Spinach

Root Crops
-Beets
-Carrots
-Turnips
-Potatoes
-Purple Haze
-Yukon Butter
-Onions
-Garlic

Squash Family
-Zucchini
-Butternut(Winter squash)
-Cantaloupe
-Watermelon
-Pumpkin
-Honey Dew

Berries and Fruit
-Apple
-Peaches
-Pears
-Cherries
-Blueberries
-Strawberries

Herbs
-Calantro
-Basil
-Parsley
-Rosemary
-Thyme
-Dill

Randoms that i cant think of where they go lol
-Sunflowers
-Celery
-Cucumber
-Picklers
-12" slicing

OK Ok.. finally Im at a halt.. lol I know there
are many more but I just cant remember them
all, all the time ;-) But like I said they will come
to me as I go through the day, shit I could just cheat
and pull out my seed bank but no fun in that ;-)

Cheers my friends,
I hope all you gardeners are ready for the new season :-D
"could be last season before end of the world" hahahhaah

Amazing list :yes:
You should really add some hotter peppers to your list :D

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=173099

Happy season

=K

haha Thanks my friend :-D

Oh i got plenty of HOT peppers.. any of those in that link are to hot for me lol and I dont wanna risk them being cross pollinated with something else...

Last year I had a nice beautiful Red bell pepper... that LOOKED like any normal sweet red bell pepper, I mean this baby was FLAWLESS... first bite out of her was amazing.. until about 20 seconds after I bit it i started noticing some heat generating in the back of my throat..

yup.. this baby was crossed with some of my habaneros...
JESUS was that fucker hot.. and I HATE HOT PEPPERS... I only
use them for my pesticides and i sell a few of them or just give them away lol.. I DO NOT LIKE HOT STUFF... temp hot is fine... but spicy hot.. NO WAY lol its not for me lol

:-D The hottest stuff I can handle is the GREEN Tabasco Sauce lol.

zeppelindood

Captain Expando
Veteran
Huge props on you il, will get mine underway in March with...

Tomatoes
-Brandywine
-Roma
-Yellow/Gold
-Grape Tomatoes (better than Cherry)
-Beef Stake

Peppers
-All Bells
-Banana
-Habanero
-Cayenne
-Chili
-Jalapeno
I put my hot peppers on opposite sides too.

Legumes
-Green Beans

Broad Leaf
-Broccoli
-Cauliflower
-Brussel Sprouts
-Slicing Cucumber

Greens
-Romaine Lettuce
-Winter Greens

Roots
-Carrots
-Turnips
-Onions
-Garlic

Squash
-Zucchini
-Butternut
-Kusa

Herbs
-Calantro
-Basil
-Parsley
-Dill

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
nice lineup.
was gifted a greenhouse for christmas, been leveling a spot in the best location of the yard. had already built five raised beds and prepped the ground for spring. relocated yards of compost and dirt...

i'm excited as last season expanded my seed collection immensely.

grow on.

I have a new location and I finally have a 15x25 area...I am excited! I will be needing tips from you pro outdoor veggie growers for sure.

Peace and a great 2012 to all.

OH BOY I love to see the excitement, thats why I wanted to start this thread :-D Get people talking and see what everyone else does :-D I love reading how others
do things and how we each differ either a little or a lot from each other :-D
Please I encourage the rest of you to do as I will be doing in this thread.
We can share and follow each others gardens through the season, gain tips from some
or give tips to some.

Im going to go into a little more detail with each of my posts here, explain my personal methods for produce gardening(for this is my livelihood). Over the years I have worked through each of them learning new things, better way to tend to plants, better planting methods, better composting methods, better EVERYTHING really :-D

HEHE LETS US START WITH

GRRRR!! Im jealous to anyone that has a greenhouse built already :( HEHE

BUT BUT BUT This spring I am planning on erecting my green house :-D
This baby is going to be made from 2x6s 2x4s and 2x10s for the base plates.
and WHITE/CLEAR POLY that is 11mil thick from

www.northerngreenhouse.com

Its going to be
77feet long x 35feet wide x 18feet tall
A-Frame Non-Perm Structure hehe (exempt from property tax)

The actual produce portion is going to be 42' x 35'

That other 35' x 35' end portion of the greenhouse is doing to be 10' HIGH
This is going to be my Grommet MUSHROOM fruiting house :-D
Yes thats right.
I will be only growing these select mushrooms(are open for change though)
-White/Yellow/Black Morals (Morchella)
-Shittake (they will most likely be in my woods though..)
-Field Mushroom(cousin to the button, tastes way better)
-Portaballes
-Blue/Pink Oysters

There will be 2 cat walks running at 10' from the floor inside the
produce section of the green house. These will be where I will
have some trees like oranges, limes, lemons, since it will be more
warm and humid at the top portion of the A-Frame. Not to crazy... but just
enough to utilize that TOP portion of space even a little bit :-D

The portion over the Mushroom Room... will be a platform
that I will have my "desert climate" portion of the greenhouse.
This is where I will grow things such as cacti fruits(dragon fruit)
and any other plants that thrive in Drier climates. (Ive noticed
that the cabbage family like drier air)

But enough about the greenhouse.

My entire Producing area is.
200' x 100'

currently I have roughly 1800 yards of COMPOST/SOIL.
Its more of a COMPOST at the moment because its all in a giant
pile composting over the winter months, its been mixed with a
ton load of organic matter. This coming spring its going to be
mixed again grabbing the rest of any organic matter I got in pile
around the area plus this year im adding at MINIMUM 550gallons
of bio-char(charcoal)

I want to add 1000 gallons, but we'll see how much I can make in the next 2-3 months lol Going to need a lot of wood.. hum.
Im adding this bio-char to the soil because this is pure carbon, and this
stuff acts as a magnet to the nutrients and elements that are in the soil.
Since this bio-char is pretty much dust and chunks and isnt water soluble,
it doesnt run off the soil. So this HOLDS all the nutrients INSIDE the soil, and
prevents and form of fert leech or nute leech or anything like that.

This WONT burn your plants either. You'll notice a lot of old timers do this
to there tomato plants they got along their house....not many people take into
consideration of doing this on LARGE SCALE...

What this will allow for, is a soil makeup that will NOT get rained away or watered away.
For as a long as you add organic matter your plants will always have an abundance
of food for them to chew down on. This is also nice because any water soluble nutes are
locked in place also, so this means that the plant will be more able to feed, drink, shit
on its OWN terms rather then you doing it for them.

Ok so we can talk about dirt more later :-D

Now you know the size of my area and the size of the greenhouse
you might be wondering what I got all the other space for... maybe the soil?
nah

if you split the garden in half its half
Veggie Sweets....

and other half is...

Fruit Sweets :-D

100' x 100' portion is all fruit trees and berries.
and any permanents IE: Garlic, Asparagus, Horseradish

Speaking of Garlic, how about I touch on Garlic
(Oh ya ... hehe youll probably find that I will be going
over EVERY single veggies fruit that I grow throughout
this thread explaining my method for caring for them
and how i grow them.)

Garlic I like to have 2 beds for them.
Each bed is currently 3feet by 10feet by 3feet high.
SUPER SANDY soil that has TONS of organic matter in it to hold moisture in
(oh ya, I RARELY water my garden ever)

I like to have 1 bed a yearly BED, then the other bed is my 2year bed
let me explain.

One of the beds I plant in the fall with garlic CLOVES, from current years harvest.
The other bed is planted with Garlic "Seeds"
Now if you plant garlic by CLOVE it only takes one full year to grow into
a mature GARLIC BULB.

BUt if you plant by "SEED" that is going to take 2 years to fully mature into
a nice large bulb. I do this because every other year I get 2x the amount
of garlic as the year prior from half the work lol. But then again you could say
that every other year I get HALF as many as compared to the work..
Nonetheless, I like having some garlic from SEED.. and some from CLOVE.

I find that it keeps the species of garlic I grow FRESH and vivid with such life.

Oops. srry had to cut this post short, something came
up and I gotta run, be back soon my friends :-D hehe

Cheers

zeppelindood

Captain Expando
Veteran
WOW il.... I love it. Thank you for starting this thread and for sharing you love with us. I'm excited to see more. I am unfortunately in a situation where I must grow in 5 and 7 gallon pots. Actually, I feel blessed to be alive and able to grow anything at all. Thank you All Mighty ~ Agape be yours ~

T

turtle farmer

All I know right now is I'll be trying to be the first person to grow a 2000 lb pumpkin.
Rototilled my 2800 sq ft pumpkin patch yesterday...prepping the soil early for a change.
Now you got me thinking about my veggies and such.
to be continued....

supermanlives

Veteran
i grow stuff year round here in so cal . still got maters ,peppers and snow peas going. will add more stuff soon

Aeroguerilla

I’m God’s solider, devil’s apostle
Veteran
veggie season is year round in my basement lol im setting up my aeroponic tables 4 600s hps 64 sites to fill with all sorts of veggies.

curious as to what typed of veggies would take off really well in aeroponic. will find out!!

for the outdoor garden this year will be doing raised beds im going to use my 15gal smartpots i got lying around think i got around a 100 of them last year the peppers did EXTRA well in the raised beds, zuchini and summersquash 1 per 15gal were out of control!! 4 plants and wayyy more then i could eat was giving it away to everyone. I also did brandy vine, roma and cherry tomatoes they did well but i think they need to have a larger raised bed then 15gal i was watering every other day in the middle of the summer... hmm what else did i do... cukes of course! 3 plants per 15gal worked well this year i will employ hortitrellis netting to keep them all up off the ground and give them proper support. potatoes LOVE the raised smartpot beds some of the nicest red potatoes ive ever eaten yummmm. and i almost forgot about the cantaloupe they grew AMAZING in the 15gal smart pot i was getting mellons the size of softballs up here in Maine.

cant wait for outdoor veggies! and i really cant wait till all my seeds sprout to get this indoor veggie garden going! happy new year everyone!

curious as to what typed of veggies would take off really well in aeroponic. will find out!!

Hey Aero...for what its worth, I grew several different kinds of tomotoes, bells pep's, jalepeno's, basil, chives, 10 dif kinds of lettuce, spinach all in Aero. The tomatoes and peps were a failure, too fucking big, roots clog the tubes, they fall over, blah...you get it.

The herbs and the lettuces ROCKED it. The spinach is great as long as Rez temps stay low, it would seem to bolt if rez temps got above 68 - which you dont really want anyway. I got rid of the peps and maters and just ran a rotation of greens, I had 8 tubes with 8 holes and would pull a tube a week, and just replant that tube and wait.

The veggies seem to be able to handle much higher temps in the system than cannabis. I had my set-up in a garage and there were times in the summer when the rez water temps would be 80-85F, I would throw some frozen 2 liters in there to chill it to 78-80...the veggies were fine. You would have a pile of sludge in the tube if you ran cannabis at 780-85f rez temps LOL.

They also lasted like 6-8 weeks wilt free in the fridge - this was what was noticed the most by friends and neighbors - the stability of the product post harvest. I chalked it up to higher nutritional quality resulting in higher antioxidant levels - maybe wrong.

Hope this helps a little. Peace, Onward.

TGR

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
I've got a small space. Well 2 really. A raised bed that's around 11' x 18'. Then a old raised flower bed that's about 50'long x 6'wide. Just picked the last of my mustard from the 11 x 18 bed today and am going to work the remainder or it back into the soil for the worms.
My plan for next week is to work into both beds dolomite lime(for calcium and magnesium and it's other benefits), some cow manure, not a lot just a little, some compost, then some 9-9-9 and let it all work for a couple of months.
Working the waste coco/perlite mixture I've discarded since last year into the longer bed just to break things up a bit.
I have been using all organics the past few years and have been unhappy with the results. So I'm going back to what I know has worked for me in the past.
So the plants to go in will be-
About 6 to 8 tomato plants,
Bell peppers(red, green, & gold)
pablano peppers
jalapenos
Sweet Banana Peppers
some golden beets
carrots
whatever else I end up with room for.
I need to find tomato strains that produce really well in this fuckin heat here. Tired of big beautiful bushes and barely enough fruit to make it worth while. So far, out of all the strains I've grown the Better Boys have yielded better and the 'San Marsano's have done well. The beef steak varieties have totally sucked for me unless started indoors and put out around 3 ft tall and in 1 -2 gallon pots.. Had a Black Russian/Russian prince depending where I get then from did well but produced small fruits. Really nice tasting ones tho. Maybe try the Heat Wave strain.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
great thread il! I was able to score a ton of nice rich seafood compost this afternoon...the source has "as much as I can stand" on his property....got a truck load and laid it by the garden today....one more run of manure and the compost will get tilled into the plot. I am very excited about the upcoming season.....just 2 months till frost free!

Nader

Veteran
You guys are an absolutely incredible bunch. Your lists are inspirational :)

This is what I plan on growing this year:

Tomatoes
Rosella Purple
Cherokee Chocolate
Tasmanian Chocolate
Bosque Blue
Dwarf Mr. Snow
Super Snow White
Ildi
Orange Roma
Aunt Gertie's Gold
Gardener's Delight
Chiapas Wild
Stump of the World
Quedlinburger frue liebe
Kazachka
Purple Calabash
Muchacha
Slava

Other Nightshades
Goji berries
Physalis peruviana "Aunt Molly's"
Ghost eggplant
Chichiquelite (S. nigrum)
King of the North bell pepper
Purple Tiger chili pepper
Numex Twilight chili pepper
Possibly going to grow Trinidad Scorpion chili pepper

Curcubits and such
Mexican Sour Gherkin
Lebanese cucumber
Triamble Squash (C. maxima --GROW THIS ONE!!! Best winter squash ever)
'Moon and Stars' Watermelon
'Cream of Saskachewan' Watermelon
Charentais melon
Jiao gu lan

Greens and Herbs
Tulsi
Garden purslane
Watercress
Iceberg lettuce
English thyme
Merlot lettuce
Lemon verbena
Jute
Klip dagga (Leonotis nepetifolia)

Legumes
Hidatsa shield bean
Lucky Lion soybean
Scarlet runner
French green lentils (I grow them for the delicious and pretty-looking shoots)

Grasses
Purple Barley
Kamut

Flowers
Peshwar white poppy
Ladybird poppy
Moonflower (Ipomoea alba)
tons of zinnias ("red beauty" especially)
sunflowers (mammoth and regular)
Globe amaranth
Canary creeper
Red yarrow
Tuberose (mexican single-flower)
Saffron crocus
Oriental, Trumpet, and Oriental x Trumpet lillies
Lycoris sprengeri if I can source the bulbs this year

Hey Aero...for what its worth, I grew several different kinds of tomotoes, bells pep's, jalepeno's, basil, chives, 10 dif kinds of lettuce, spinach all in Aero. The tomatoes and peps were a failure, too fucking big, roots clog the tubes, they fall over, blah...you get it.

The herbs and the lettuces ROCKED it. The spinach is great as long as Rez temps stay low, it would seem to bolt if rez temps got above 68 - which you dont really want anyway. I got rid of the peps and maters and just ran a rotation of greens, I had 8 tubes with 8 holes and would pull a tube a week, and just replant that tube and wait.

The veggies seem to be able to handle much higher temps in the system than cannabis. I had my set-up in a garage and there were times in the summer when the rez water temps would be 80-85F, I would throw some frozen 2 liters in there to chill it to 78-80...the veggies were fine. You would have a pile of sludge in the tube if you ran cannabis at 780-85f rez temps LOL.

They also lasted like 6-8 weeks wilt free in the fridge - this was what was noticed the most by friends and neighbors - the stability of the product post harvest. I chalked it up to higher nutritional quality resulting in higher antioxidant levels - maybe wrong.

Hope this helps a little. Peace, Onward.

TGR

NICE!!! I wouldnt limit the freshness to only aeroponics my friend hehe For my organic greens have lasted up to 3 months when properly stored in the fridge :-D Here let my sure what my grandmother taught me.. and HOLY shit does it work well with nice
organic clean produce.

When you pick ANYTHING from AND garden you gotta wash it off and dry it with a towel. I use actual bathing towels to dry my produce lol. Allow to air dry the fully. Once dry anything your going to store in the fridge you gotta wrap with a dry paper towel, and place into a plastic bag, I dont zip mine shut at all.

When it comes to head lettuce or cabbage so this.
You can store the lettuce either peeled or left as a head.
If peeled just wash dry and store between paper towels in
a zip lock(this will make your lettuce last up to 3 months)
if your using the head.. just peel off the first layer or 2... and risen the head off VERY well... pat dry.. then let drain sitting on a towel, rotating the head every 10mins for at least 2mins... or until you can shake the head with no water drop lets coming out.

Thats pretty much, key to produce shelf life is CLEANING IT...
Now you tell me... why the hell cant this be done in a grocery store??? lol so backwards this world is lol

I've got a small space. Well 2 really. A raised bed that's around 11' x 18'. Then a old raised flower bed that's about 50'long x 6'wide. Just picked the last of my mustard from the 11 x 18 bed today and am going to work the remainder or it back into the soil for the worms.
My plan for next week is to work into both beds dolomite lime(for calcium and magnesium and it's other benefits), some cow manure, not a lot just a little, some compost, then some 9-9-9 and let it all work for a couple of months.
Working the waste coco/perlite mixture I've discarded since last year into the longer bed just to break things up a bit.
I have been using all organics the past few years and have been unhappy with the results. So I'm going back to what I know has worked for me in the past.
So the plants to go in will be-
About 6 to 8 tomato plants,
Bell peppers(red, green, & gold)
pablano peppers
jalapenos
Sweet Banana Peppers
some golden beets
carrots
whatever else I end up with room for.
I need to find tomato strains that produce really well in this fuckin heat here. Tired of big beautiful bushes and barely enough fruit to make it worth while. So far, out of all the strains I've grown the Better Boys have yielded better and the 'San Marsano's have done well. The beef steak varieties have totally sucked for me unless started indoors and put out around 3 ft tall and in 1 -2 gallon pots.. Had a Black Russian/Russian prince depending where I get then from did well but produced small fruits. Really nice tasting ones tho. Maybe try the Heat Wave strain.

Aww that not a small garden at all :-D Thats a very nice size
garden, my favorite is the nice long gardens :-D They add
such an accent to themselves its not even funny... that is usually
all youll notice in a yard if it has a nice LONG skinny garden :-D
I miss my skinny garden... :( hehe but my EXTREMELY skinny garden makes up for it that has all my hastas and bleeding hearts in it, and of course my favorite butterfly bush :-D Sucker grow about 20x its size in 1 year from planting, Pretty impressive let me tell ya lol. If anyone wants to get some really NICE really GREAT performing ornamental plants check out this place, Gurneys.com, its who I use for all my ornamentals :-D

To bad to hear about your misfortune with your organic attempt.
You know if you dont mine, hehe i gotta do it, me giving you maybe some pointers about organic gardening...
My gardens are as organic as i can make them, any little bit of run off i get from my neighbors is non-organic water that is contam'ed with chemicals such as herbicides...pesticides... ect..ect... so my garden is only as organic as the run off water I get from my neighbors, granted my greenhouse stops all of this but for the outdoor plants it effects them.

I have never added LIME or Manure to my garden's soil. The MAIN ingredients for my garden soil is Yard Waste, LEAVES mostly, but A LOT of wood chips...shit ton of grass clippings....sometimes some clay very little though.....sticks.....fire pit ashes if there are no nails....any wasted soil that needs to be taken out of somewhere. I have a landscaper friend with his own company... so he helps me and i help him by giving him a place to dump all his days work at :-D Win Win.

The KEY is mixing... for my garden soil.. isnt really just "SOIL", but from the past 6 years of STILL making it... i would say that by
the time little plants are planted in May/June, they are being planted in a mixture of SOIL : COMPOST at about id estimate
a ratio of 50:50 to 70:30... THERE IS A LOT OF COMPOST in my soil... the COMPOST creates the most readily available food source for the beneficial bacteria and any beneficial fungi, which directly interact with plant roots and increase growth and yield at EXTREME rates. Once you got a nice soil like this, you can make it in 2 months during the summer time with the aid of a tarp or vapor barrier, all youll need to do is make yourself a nice Leaf litter + wood chip MULCHING for around your plant at a depth NO LESS then 5 inches... 8 inches is technically PRIME in my opinion, 10 optimal.

Hum... hum..What kinda heat you talking about?
Because where I live, last season there was a nice steady
2-3 weeks with no rain, all in 80s 'F..... along with a nice 6 days
streak of 99+ 'F... if you ask me my tomatoes LOVED it because the nights were nice and warm 70s all night, toms LOVE warm nights. THe average temps in summer by me are about 75-80'F.
My brandywines LOVED IT too.. they are bigger then beef steak.. and much better flavor too, if i would compare, id say the beef steak tastes like watery mush lol Brandywines got that nice tomatoy
pasty flesh with STRONG flavor.... i usually just eat them straight off the plant with pepper.

I would make the connection that your CHEM FERTs are what are holding you back from growing such great varieties such as the brandywines cousin, Beef Steak. Once you see the simplicity of
organic gardening youll soon be rewarded with great fruits of your labor :-D The compost and LARGE mulch layer are the KEY elements that one must apply to an organic garden, I rarely water my plants outside lol... 10in mulch layer holds in SO MUCH moisture. I make a kind of FUNNEL at the plants base as well, keeps the stem area dry to protect from cut worms.

great thread il! I was able to score a ton of nice rich seafood compost this afternoon...the source has "as much as I can stand" on his property....got a truck load and laid it by the garden today....one more run of manure and the compost will get tilled into the plot. I am very excited about the upcoming season.....just 2 months till frost free!

Hell ya brother man :-D I never had the need to add manure
of any kind to my compost. My soil is composting as I type this.. its been in a nice 50' long 30' wide 7' high pile since November 10th, So got 2 months on it so far :-D That middle area is most likely dont composting now, it gets mixed for the first time this year in March, so only 2 months left, then it will get mixed one last time as its being laid out for the planting :-D I use a skidster to make my rows.. for the corn and melon patch. My rows are 100 feet long, 4 feet wide and 3 feet high.

Glad you stopped by my friend :-D I am excited for your garden season for you as well, sending great vibes your way :-D

Cheers

You guys are an absolutely incredible bunch. Your lists are inspirational :)

This is what I plan on growing this year:

Tomatoes
Rosella Purple
Cherokee Chocolate
Tasmanian Chocolate
Bosque Blue
Dwarf Mr. Snow
Super Snow White
Ildi
Orange Roma
Aunt Gertie's Gold
Gardener's Delight
Chiapas Wild
Stump of the World
Quedlinburger frue liebe
Kazachka
Purple Calabash
Muchacha
Slava

Other Nightshades
Goji berries
Physalis peruviana "Aunt Molly's"
Ghost eggplant
Chichiquelite (S. nigrum)
King of the North bell pepper
Purple Tiger chili pepper
Numex Twilight chili pepper
Possibly going to grow Trinidad Scorpion chili pepper

Curcubits and such
Mexican Sour Gherkin
Lebanese cucumber
Triamble Squash (C. maxima --GROW THIS ONE!!! Best winter squash ever)
'Moon and Stars' Watermelon
'Cream of Saskachewan' Watermelon
Charentais melon
Jiao gu lan

Greens and Herbs
Tulsi
Garden purslane
Watercress
Iceberg lettuce
English thyme
Merlot lettuce
Lemon verbena
Jute
Klip dagga (Leonotis nepetifolia)

Legumes
Hidatsa shield bean
Lucky Lion soybean
Scarlet runner
French green lentils (I grow them for the delicious and pretty-looking shoots)

Grasses
Purple Barley
Kamut

Flowers
Peshwar white poppy
Ladybird poppy
Moonflower (Ipomoea alba)
tons of zinnias ("red beauty" especially)
sunflowers (mammoth and regular)
Globe amaranth
Canary creeper
Red yarrow
Tuberose (mexican single-flower)
Saffron crocus
Oriental, Trumpet, and Oriental x Trumpet lillies
Lycoris sprengeri if I can source the bulbs this year

Side note... TRUMPET LILLIES = GREATNESS lol

DAMN Nadar !!! Look at you with all your exotic naming :-D
You sure did dial in what strains you like best eh?
You have a good history with a lot of these strains as well no?

Tell me a little about the Saffron :-D HEHE ya ya You know
I saw that one ;-) Shits TAX!!!! Easily $500 a ounce, but would
have to grow in a greenhouse or something, would be crazy collecting all that pollen lol that has ZERO taste in my opinion lol only add color to food, for my taste buds at least. Thats pretty neat though, HERBS and such are still VERY lacking in my gardening....i believe I could desinate an entire greenhouse
to JUST herbs... and I KNOW I could lol... there are just so many, but would TRULY be a great investment.. i think i might have to do that now come to think of it lol HAHAH Nadar you pushed me to doingit now haha Id expect a 10' x 10' HERB greenhouse to pay for itself in no time whats so ever.. Jesus.. its boggling my mind now thinking about how many herbs there are... 10x10 might be to small now come to think of it lol

:-D I LOVE SEEING MORE GARDENERS OUT THERE !!!! This excites me so much!!! OMG lol i cant resist now, i gotta go plant something lol

sorry for the delay on any response though.. but I added some opinions I got on some things in this post :-D Should be a very good read i hope ;-) BUT nonetheless.. ill be posting a nice long one detailing some more of the gardening green thumb I got :-D

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran

Aww that not a small garden at all :-D Thats a very nice size
garden, my favorite is the nice long gardens :-D They add
such an accent to themselves its not even funny... that is usually
all youll notice in a yard if it has a nice LONG skinny garden :-D
I miss my skinny garden... :( hehe but my EXTREMELY skinny garden makes up for it that has all my hastas and bleeding hearts in it, and of course my favorite butterfly bush :-D Sucker grow about 20x its size in 1 year from planting, Pretty impressive let me tell ya lol. If anyone wants to get some really NICE really GREAT performing ornamental plants check out this place, Gurneys.com, its who I use for all my ornamentals :-D

To bad to hear about your misfortune with your organic attempt.
You know if you dont mine, hehe i gotta do it, me giving you maybe some pointers about organic gardening...
My gardens are as organic as i can make them, any little bit of run off i get from my neighbors is non-organic water that is contam'ed with chemicals such as herbicides...pesticides... ect..ect... so my garden is only as organic as the run off water I get from my neighbors, granted my greenhouse stops all of this but for the outdoor plants it effects them.

I have never added LIME or Manure to my garden's soil. The MAIN ingredients for my garden soil is Yard Waste, LEAVES mostly, but A LOT of wood chips...shit ton of grass clippings....sometimes some clay very little though.....sticks.....fire pit ashes if there are no nails....any wasted soil that needs to be taken out of somewhere. I have a landscaper friend with his own company... so he helps me and i help him by giving him a place to dump all his days work at :-D Win Win.

The KEY is mixing... for my garden soil.. isnt really just "SOIL", but from the past 6 years of STILL making it... i would say that by
the time little plants are planted in May/June, they are being planted in a mixture of SOIL : COMPOST at about id estimate
a ratio of 50:50 to 70:30... THERE IS A LOT OF COMPOST in my soil... the COMPOST creates the most readily available food source for the beneficial bacteria and any beneficial fungi, which directly interact with plant roots and increase growth and yield at EXTREME rates. Once you got a nice soil like this, you can make it in 2 months during the summer time with the aid of a tarp or vapor barrier, all youll need to do is make yourself a nice Leaf litter + wood chip MULCHING for around your plant at a depth NO LESS then 5 inches... 8 inches is technically PRIME in my opinion, 10 optimal.

Hum... hum..What kinda heat you talking about?
Because where I live, last season there was a nice steady
2-3 weeks with no rain, all in 80s 'F..... along with a nice 6 days
streak of 99+ 'F... if you ask me my tomatoes LOVED it because the nights were nice and warm 70s all night, toms LOVE warm nights. THe average temps in summer by me are about 75-80'F.
My brandywines LOVED IT too.. they are bigger then beef steak.. and much better flavor too, if i would compare, id say the beef steak tastes like watery mush lol Brandywines got that nice tomatoy
pasty flesh with STRONG flavor.... i usually just eat them straight off the plant with pepper.

I would make the connection that your CHEM FERTs are what are holding you back from growing such great varieties such as the brandywines cousin, Beef Steak. Once you see the simplicity of
organic gardening youll soon be rewarded with great fruits of your labor :-D The compost and LARGE mulch layer are the KEY elements that one must apply to an organic garden, I rarely water my plants outside lol... 10in mulch layer holds in SO MUCH moisture. I make a kind of FUNNEL at the plants base as well, keeps the stem area dry to protect from cut worms.

I decided to go back with organics. I put gypsum-for calcium, epsom salt-for magnesium and a bit of sulpher, sulpher, to lower the garden soil ph, bone meal and blood meal. Then worked in 4 wheel barrels of compost I accumulated over the past year, some fresh compost material and put compost starter over it, worked in some old hay I used for mulch last year and wet it all down to work for the next 2 months. Should have the soil nice and lush for the planting season here. Didn't use the lime nor the manure. Just decided against those 2.
I have to plant tomato varieties that run under 75 days and NO MORE than 80. My heat here gets up to 115f during the summer. The tomatoes will not set fruit in those temps. So the really big heirloom types are a no go for me. I hate that too. I'm starting some indoors but even then by the time they start fruiting it's too late.
Putting the tomatoes in the long skinny garden this year to keep the direct afternoon sun off of them to see if that helps and then put my peppers and other veggies in the larger spot.
Looking forward to what I can get this year. Even if I don't get anything much it's fun to watch them grow.

Nader

Veteran
The saffron is as simple as planting the crocus bulbs and waiting :D It totally has a nice subtle flavour, by the way! The scent is also amazing and can be overpowering (smell a saffron attar, which is distilled in sandalwood oil.. it's quite strong yet beautiful and sensual)

Bravo on doing an herb garden. It makes sense.

M

MrSterling

Getting ready for the veggie garden myself! Just got a 208cc tiller, doing 80+ varieties of plants.