You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > General Gardening > Venus Fly Traps & African Sundews

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
Venus Fly Traps & African Sundews Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-17-2017, 10:39 PM #1
OranguTrump

OranguTrump has much to be proud ofOranguTrump has much to be proud ofOranguTrump has much to be proud ofOranguTrump has much to be proud ofOranguTrump has much to be proud ofOranguTrump has much to be proud ofOranguTrump has much to be proud ofOranguTrump has much to be proud ofOranguTrump has much to be proud ofOranguTrump has much to be proud ofOranguTrump has much to be proud of
Talking Venus Fly Traps & African Sundews

I finally "pitched my tent" and started growing - carnivorous plants right now, but waiting for herb laws to finalize.

(I might have ordered a kit of magic mushrooms to grow in there too - should be here anytime. Shhhhhh.)

I have some pics - I started 1,500 fly traps (1,000 red & 500 green). I also started about 1,000 of the sundews. I have 2 different medium (self prepared from best reviewed "recipes"), and I have sown the seeds in each. 1 is only well rinsed peat with some sphagnum moss added, the other is combo vermiculite, perlite, well rinsed peat & sphagnum.

The containers are sitting in a larger, shallow container with an inch of distilled water - there is a seedling heat mat under this container to keep temps high 70's. The verm/perl/peat/spag soil has an inch or 2 of hydroton on bottoms - all those containers are vented top & bottom. The other 2 containers are not vented & do not have hydroton.

I am a Pasta-Rasta

"I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too." - Mitch Hedberg

"Dave's not here"

*** RIP to the greatest character actor ever - Harry Dean Stanton ***

Last edited by OranguTrump; 05-17-2017 at 11:10 PM..
OranguTrump is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:54 PM #2
OranguTrump

OranguTrump has much to be proud ofOranguTrump has much to be proud ofOranguTrump has much to be proud ofOranguTrump has much to be proud ofOranguTrump has much to be proud ofOranguTrump has much to be proud ofOranguTrump has much to be proud ofOranguTrump has much to be proud ofOranguTrump has much to be proud ofOranguTrump has much to be proud ofOranguTrump has much to be proud of
Pics

All the containers - 2 different types of plants x 2 different types of growing medium.

1,000 Red Venus Fly Traps in here - peat & spaghnum only

2 containers of Green Venus Fly Traps - verm/perl/peat/spag mixture

African Sundews - peat & spaghnum

African Sundews - verm/perl/peat/spag mixture

I am a Pasta-Rasta

"Dave's not here"

Last edited by OranguTrump; 05-17-2017 at 11:05 PM..

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:55 PM #3
cough_cough_eer
Anita Bonghitt

cough_cough_eer has disabled reputation
I would be interested in pics...

Ive always wanted to grow carnivorous plants.This year, I started 12 seeds and none sprouted. I think my peat moss was old. I went to the flytrap store and message boards. reminds me I need to get some more seeds or a small plant. might even try and grow them hydroponically.
Do you have any tips for me...

Why is it that rich people are concidered eccentric and poor people are just wierd????
cough_cough_eer is offline Quote

Old 05-17-2017, 11:08 PM #4
OranguTrump

Lighting for now are 2 x 14w spotlight type leds warm white. I have a temp/humidity display & a submerged thermometer in the far end of water tray.

The fly traps required a light dusting of peat moss over them after sowing, but the sundews do not. Both should be a few weeks germinating.

I am a Pasta-Rasta

"Dave's not here"

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:15 PM #5
troutman

troutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud of
I sometimes see sundew plants when I go fishing. They are very tiny and sometimes
grow in large groups very near the water. They look too fragile to transplant though.

This is the exact kind I see.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drosera_rotundifolia

Old 05-17-2017, 11:18 PM #6
OranguTrump

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cough_cough_eer View Post
Ive always wanted to grow carnivorous plants.This year, I started 12 seeds and none sprouted. I think my peat moss was old. I went to the flytrap store and message boards. reminds me I need to get some more seeds or a small plant. might even try and grow them hydroponically.
Do you have any tips for me...
I'm in infancy stage here, but hey, we can learn together!

I read for over a year & bought my stuff slowly, carefully. Distilled water is THE critical thing. Completely nutrient poor medium. Moist, but not soaking wet. Bright, indirect light. Humid at first, but not necessarily later. Slooooooow.

The mushrooms outta make things a little more lively, though

Thanks for posting, I hope we both learn a fair bit.

I am a Pasta-Rasta

"Dave's not here"

Old 05-17-2017, 11:20 PM #7
OranguTrump

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I sometimes see sundew plants when I go fishing. They are very tiny and sometimes
grow in large groups very near the water. They look too fragile to transplant though.

This is the exact kind I see.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drosera_rotundifolia
They ARE tiny - the Capensis are a fair bit bigger, but still not gonna be as big as those fly traps get.

Very cool. Thanks!

I am a Pasta-Rasta

"Dave's not here"

Old 05-18-2017, 12:31 AM #8
Orrie

Cool stuff OranguTrump, never grew sundews or fly traps myself. I'm curious why the high seed/plant count. Will you use these yourself or will you be selling them is what I'm asking.

Congrats on finally being able to p[itch the tent. Will be hoping for 100% germ in all your endeavors.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:50 AM #9
OranguTrump

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrie View Post
Cool stuff OranguTrump, never grew sundews or fly traps myself. I'm curious why the high seed/plant count. Will you use these yourself or will you be selling them is what I'm asking.

Congrats on finally being able to p[itch the tent. Will be hoping for 100% germ in all your endeavors.
Hi, Orrie!

High seed count is for eventual sales, or that's the plan. A table at flea market with couple hundred bug eating plants might make a couple bucks.

I appreciate the kind words.

I am a Pasta-Rasta

"Dave's not here"

Old 05-18-2017, 01:05 AM #10
Orrie

Hell yes, positive vibes! you need to start saving for a rental truck to move them all!

another thing you might check into is local nurseries as they might be interested in what you have going.

I'll be looking in to see your progress. Good luck!