What's new

IR light supplement?

Indianasc13

Is there a fixture that just supplements infared light that I could add to my current LED set up. Any experience you guys could share would be great

indagroove

Veteran
meizhi, think all plants need a lil IR, i know plants outside get it:headbange

Meizi has extra infrared added in? That's surprising to me. Are you sure you don't mean far red? Unless you are in a cold environment, I don't see why the plants would need infrared. Sure, if it's sold, it may help open the stomata, but otherwise it just seems like wasted energy. HPS has a huge IR spike around 820nm, but LED not so much.

Cvh

Supermod
Free ☕
A couple of years ago, it was said that plants only needed that blurple light spectrum. The red and blue LEDs. Where you had to switch off the red ones during veg. And all who claimed differently were said to be ignorant back then.

Then there came the Full Spectrum LEDs, which proved to be better.

I bet that in the near future IR and UV will be added also to the LEDs setup. (I know that many LED grow lights already have these). It's just a matter of time when science will claim it's better to have these also. It will be an entire opposite standpoint from their past blurple claims...

Maybe the sun's spectrum is what plants are evolved to?

Horselover Fat

Veteran
A couple of years ago, it was said that plants only needed that blurple light spectrum. The red and blue LEDs. Where you had to switch off the red ones during veg. And all who claimed differently were said to be ignorant back then.

Then there came the Full Spectrum LEDs, which proved to be better.

I bet that in the near future IR and UV will be added also to the LEDs setup. (I know that many LED grow lights already have these). It's just a matter of time when science will claim it's better to have these also. It will be an entire opposite standpoint from their past blurple claims...

Maybe the sun's spectrum is what plants are evolved to?

Only blue&red will grow just as well as white. There was no scientific studies about this untill like a year ago. People on grow forums are not the same as science.

Cvh

Supermod
Free ☕
^I don't think people on growforums invented Red en Blue Led growlights. Even fabricators had to base themselves on some research and not just random claims.

indagroove

Veteran
IR can help plants flower better. buddy.

Do you have any studies to back up that assertion? IMO the only thing IR (light above 780nm) is gonna help you with is to increase the leaf temp, if you are growing in a cold situation. Far red on the other hand (between 700nm and 780nm) has been shown to increase plant growth, based on scientific studies.

Last edited:

indagroove

Veteran
IR = Heat

That's why HPS lights are so much hotter under the lamp than LED lights. Pretty much all HPS lights throw a huge IR spike around 820nm, as illustrated below..

cmh-spectral-reading-3100k.jpg

eyesdownchronic

I'm also curious to whether there is any backable science about effectiveness of IR. It seems like a fair amount of led grow lights are just chucking UV+IR + 730 nm far red in. I also wonder about the effect of UV on trichome production vs blue. Its no surprsie that a high intensity wavelength like UV would spike a plant defense mechanism ie trichome production, but is it better than blue, which also supplies high levels of phototsynthetic energy unlike uv? There is a lot of science backing the use blue light for increasing essential oil production and anthocyanin poduction across a wide range of crops.

Last edited:

eyesdownchronic

Far red on the other hand (between 700nm and 780nm) has been shown to increase plant growth, based on scientific studies.
700-780 is a pretty huge range. Not all far red is the same. You do not want to be supplementing 730 nm (the wavelength that all light makers put in as far red.... smfh) into your general light regime, as it will increase inter nodal elongantion, look up plant shade avoidance response if you dont feel like believing me. (not talking about putting flowering plants to sleep or whatever.)

Latest posts

Latest posts