What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DTOG's Bunny Ranch

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
How's the overall yeild looking on that mango haze bro?

And that ogkb 3 looks fire as usual man

Thanks for the pics man I been a bit fragile for a few days so ain't been online much

However I'm back now!!

Not very much yield at all. Don't know if it's something I did or not. I did feed her a little too much, that much I'm sure of. But she didn't make any "real buds". Just a few clusters here and there , with mostly just a collection of bracts on sticks.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Not very much yield at all. Don't know if it's something I did or not. I did feed her a little too much, that much I'm sure of. But she didn't make any "real buds". Just a few clusters here and there , with mostly just a collection of bracts on sticks.

I recently came across how to prevent that and it had to do with pot size and transplant timing. As soon as I burn a few maybe I will remember where and post a link or something. Obviously some sativa types just don't make nice nugs.

DoubleTripleOG

ICMag Donor
No. Triple Nova does though. TK x [Blackberry x (Blackberry x Trainwreck Bx2)]. If I remember that correctly without looking it up.

dank.Frank

I did just look it up. Right on Cannaventure's website. So there is a little TW in the Triple Nova. I bet that's where these huge 7-9 bladed dinosaur leaves are coming from. If I remember correctly, TW has always had that trait....higher than normal blade count per leaf. Or maybe that's all in my head, lol.

DoubleTripleOG

ICMag Donor
Forgot to mention. The "leaf bud " plant of Dubble Headed , already has reveg growth. So pretty sure she'll be around a few more runs. Just put that Triple Nova in for a reveg, as well as the Kosher. I have cuts going of the Kosher , but still wanna try a reveg. Really wanna make sure I don't lose her.

DoubleTripleOG

ICMag Donor
Lot's of posting without pics today, lol. Found a 630 CMH on Ebay for $170. Two single ended 315's in a hood. Made me think, I have that hood I DIY'd to hold two 1000 watt bulbs. Almost certain the socket is the same size for both bulbs. Gonna check to make sure. But if they are that would give me an air cooled 630 CMH fixture. So prolly gonna make that happen soon.

Part of the reason I was looking into CMH, is because one of my 1000 watt HPS ballasts has been acting up on me. I fear it's not gonna last much longer. So might as well try CMH. If I can get relatively the same yields with less power, I'm all about that. Plus If I remember correctly, they make a couple different "colors" of CMH bulbs. So I can have mixed spectrum.

I just went and looked . They do make a 3100k and 4200k CMH bulb . And they will work in a 1000 watt socket. So yeah, def gonna try and make that happen. Hopefully sooner than later. I need to stop being lazy and do a bunch of blasting. Then I would have the means to make the money for the new CMH.

In the plant world. I have my version of Dosidos in flower now. Started 3 seeds, one female showed in veg. So I flipped her in the last batch. Which brings me to my original reason to post. Was looking at the other 2 plants and I'm sure at least one is a male. He's on the shorter, stocky side, and has excellent structure. Think I should flip him for some pollen ? Maybe some F2's or use his pollen on a couple of the OG cuts I have.

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
Just have to get a couple PGZ18 To E39 socket adapters. They sell them on amazon, eBay, maybe Home Depot.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Yeah, there is an adapter for the normal HPS/MH E39 mogul socket to PGZX so you can run the 315CMH bulbs in the fixture you have already.

Link To Adapter:

https://growershouse.com/315w-ceramic-mh-cmh-to-mogul-base-socket-adapter

The only CMH bulb worth using is the Philips Mastercolor CDM Elite 315W CMH Agro Lamp T12 - 3100K, It peaks in the chlorophyl A and B absorption spectrums as well as being the most intense CMH overall. Sunpulse is the 2nd place 315cmh bulb in intensity but is a worse bulb in terms of spectrum and cost is ~30% more.

EvergreenState

Fuck HPS unless you are using this lamp.https://eyehortilux.com/grow-lights/dual-arc/
I remember the first time I used this lamp and I got the best result I ever had; by far! I remember thinking my plants now looked like magazine cover shots of beautiful buds. I'm not kidding. I was very impressed with myself.:joint: It wasn't me though it was the bulb, everything else was the same. I was pretty proud though.
I couldn't believe how much difference a great bulb made.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Hey Useless have you looked at the spectrum for the GE chromafit? The spectrum from that bulb is pretty weak for growing plants. EvergreenState Hortilux Dual Arc is just an HPS with increased blue, still not near as good for plants as philips 3100k CMH (and cost more than twice as much as Philips 315 3100k CMH!).

Here is the spectrum of the GE 93295 Chromafit:

picture.php

Here is the Hortilux Dual Arc spectrum:

picture.php

3k 315 CMH spectrums:

picture.php

Here is the full absorption spectrum (other pigments than chlorophyl A and B are ~50% as efficient of turning light into growth energy:

picture.php

Last edited:
I'm a huge fan of 630w de cmh. I've been running them over a year now. No issue breaking 1gpw consistently with a record run of 1.52gpw (1064g from 700w in a 5x4 area). I've used both 3000k and 4200k and I prefer the 4200k myself. Plants seem to stack tighter internodes with them. Here is the link to where I get my bulbs and ballasts. Prices are super reasonable and service is top notch!

https://www.ceramicsolutions.us

EvergreenState

I've not tried the CMH but if you have to use 2 of them to cover the same area as an HPS 1000W dual arc then you are probably spending about the same. I know the charts show different spectrums but all I know is that the Hortilux turned out the best plants I've ever grown by far. Proof is in pudding.

U

useless.gardens

Hey Useless have you looked at the spectrum for the GE chromafit? The spectrum from that bulb is pretty weak for growing plants. EvergreenState Hortilux Dual Arc is just an HPS with increased blue, still not near as good for plants as philips 3100k CMH (and cost more than twice as much as Philips 315 3100k CMH!).

Here is the spectrum of the GE 93295 Chromafit:

View Image

Here is the Hortilux Dual Arc spectrum:

View Image

3k 315 CMH spectrums:

View Image

Here is the full absorption spectrum (other pigments than chlorophyl A and B are ~50% as efficient of turning light into growth energy:

View Image

i love those bulbs but imma have to do some research. thanks for that information. still would use them in veg. and once i build a flower room ill have to think about a more potent cmh.

Buckeyebandit

Phillips 3100k is what i use.
DTOG your ballast has done you a favor man. I dont use D.E unit but i bet its a good deal and a cooled hood your golden with the heat not being a factor

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
FrozenFire I just looked into ceramic solutions 630 DE CMH bulbs. The spectrum the 4200k produces is great, but it lacks efficiency/intensity in comparison. The Philips mastercolor 3100k produces 1.9 PPF (1900 umol/s) and the ceramic solution 630w 4200k only produces 1.13 PPF (1136 umol/s). Its not the broad spectrum that plants need, but intensity in specific areas of the spectrum. The reduced stretching is because of the increased amount of blue spectrum, red promotes stretching.

I learned today that blue photons produce more energy for growth in plants than red photons because they have a shorter wavelength. (more food for thought)

Here is the 4200k 630w DE spectrum:

picture.php

Last edited:
FrozenFire I just looked into ceramic solutions 630 DE CMH bulbs. The spectrum the 4200k produces is great, but it lacks efficiency/intensity in comparison. The Philips mastercolor 3100k produces 1.9 PPF (1900 umol/s) and the ceramic solution 630w 4200k only produces 1.13 PPF (1136 umol/s). Its not the broad spectrum that plants need, but intensity in specific areas of the spectrum. The reduced stretching is because of the increased amount of blue spectrum, red promotes stretching.

I learned today that blue photons produce more energy for growth in plants than red photons because they have a shorter wavelength. (more food for thought)

Here is the 4200k 630w DE spectrum:

View Image

I'm not the biggest fan of graphs and manufacturer's data reports. Unless they are independent 3rd party tests. Even then I take them with a grain of salt. What I will say is my experience with the 630w de cmh has been extremely positive. For my tent based growing these lights kick ass. I started with cfl, then went to 400w mh/600w hps, 1k de hps which was good but put off a ton of heat, then I got into de cmh. The big benefit is I can run 2 630's at 700w open reflectors in a 5x9 gorilla tent without having to run a/c. This saves a fair bit of electricity, and noise. For how I like my system to run, de hps is the ticket. The only thing I dont have experience flowering with is high watt cobb or quantum led. That's in the works for next year. Guess what I'm saying is the proof is in the pudding, and I've made some top notch pudding with de cmh:biggrin:

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
I've not tried the CMH but if you have to use 2 of them to cover the same area as an HPS 1000W dual arc then you are probably spending about the same.

2 philips 3100k cost about $126 shipped and Philips claims "High 85% PPF maintenance at 20,000 hr". Hortilux dual arc $150 shipped was the best price I found about a 16% price difference, Hortilux recommends replacing Dual Arc after only 12 months of 12/12 or only 4380 hours of use.

Almost 5x the lifespan from CMH, there is the savings.

@FrozenFire have you read the lighting science sticky? I dont doubt your setup works well, people have hit 1.5gpw with just HPS' shitty spectrum. I just try to keep people informed on the science/terminology so they can improve further or save some $.

Latest posts

Latest posts