What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Drive-by heat mapping

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In 2007, Google unleashed a fleet of cars with roof-mounted cameras to provide street-level images of roads around the world. Now MIT spinout Essess is bringing similar “drive-by” innovations to energy efficiency in homes and businesses. The startup deploys cars with thermal-imaging rooftop rigs that create heat maps of thousands of homes and buildings per hour, detecting fixable leaks in “building envelopes” — windows, doors, walls, and foundations — to help owners curb energy loss.

Source

Caught this on Daily Planet just a moment ago. Apparently they've mapped 1% of the country (US) to date and it sounds like they're going for the rest a la Google Street View.

An example from their website

Where's Waldo?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]
CAMBRIDGE-MAP.png

Unless they are driving around at night or in the winter, what heat they detect could be seen as reflected sun radiation. One reason LEO FLIR is used at night, to allow the surrounding buildings to naturally cool down.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Unless they are driving around at night or in the winter, what heat they detect could be seen as reflected sun radiation. One reason LEO FLIR is used at night, to allow the surrounding buildings to naturally cool down.

hell, I thought most folks went lights out at night to allow cooler temps during the "dark" ? wonder how many homes slid under the radar that way? :dance013:

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Give them a bit of credit, this is MIT.

During the episode they explained how the process evolved and was refined, re: only filming at a certain speed, below a certain temperature and almost needless to say, at night.

As I understand it, they'll provide 3D imaging of all recorded housing. Whether this will be browseable similar to Street View, not entirely sure. From the website, it sounds like it will only be available to utility companies, but the show gave a different impression, specifically mentioning allowing homeowners access.

Either way, I'm glad it isn't happening up here :D

Jhhnn

Veteran
Kyllo vs US never was more than a delaying action. If private companies use thermal imaging to a sufficient degree, then cops can too.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
hell, I thought most folks went lights out at night to allow cooler temps during the "dark" ? wonder how many homes slid under the radar that way? :dance013:

Almost never, better to keep your garden under 30 during "day" and not cook the terpenes to death, than cooler at night just to bring out funky colours.

Plus, especially in Rural areas, you get up to double the atmospheric CO2 levels at night, free yield.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
P.S. Google Street heat view is not the biggest problem, you can now buy gadgets to stick into your smartphone that show all a cop or robber needs...

Shovelhandle

Scanning for building envelope heat loss (as it is called in this application) Will provide very good data relating to building insulation efficiency and is able to clearly show areas of heat loss that can be remediated. As far as locating a grow area in a building that is not very easy to determine, even if they are specifically looking for that. So do not be so paranoid. Most grow areas maintain a temperature of under 27ºC (80ºF) and this range of temperature may be a result of many, many things other than a grow op. The most dramatic heat loss would be window panes and most growers would know enough to cover their windows to prevent someone seeing inside. This covering would also help moderate the pane temperature. Folks have expressed the idea that an attic grow may be easily determined with FLIR. Well, that is correct, especially if one made no attempt to mitigate the thermal signature of the lighting appliances by having good air circulation in the room and insulating the rafter/roof area. Most attics would be pretty cold so a heated attic may 'stick out' during a winter evening scan. But not all warm attics are caused by grow ops. If LEO suspected a building of having a grow in the attic FLIR could be used to further this suspicion. I am a thermographer so I do know about this stuff.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Way to use your experience and logic to cuckold my attempt to put the tinhats in a frenzy.

:D

al70

Veteran
My exhaust is up the upstairs chimney In my 1921 built house, a hot chimney is always gonna be hot, I'm not leaving this old house, it's perfect

al70

Veteran
Not sure if this is fact but I've been told that flir will pick up heat from cables goin into a premises, especially old premises that have cables running along the roofs, outside, mind you it would be at least 6 or 8 600hps before they'd notice, I researched it.

al70

Veteran
I've seen that pic 2 years ago, this fella got jailed, obviously not exhausting