What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Home Automation Wifi Hubs and IFTTT

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I'm looking into home automation and trying to decide hub or no hub and if using a hub which one. It seems that some hubs are more compatible with different devices while some are very proprietary. IFTTT seems to be the most universal standard but it's acceptance is limited.

Any experience here?

I just recently kitted out a couple of tents and was looking at automation and was blown away at the price of commercial equipment so I looked into smart plugs, IFTTT and the like, never saw Z-wave though. I kept coming back to a nagging fear that they are not reliable enough regardless whether they were or not. In the end I just went with a mechanical timer and Inkbirds for temp and humidity. Maybe if I do another install I will look at automation again.

unnamed mike has a pretty interesting Arundo setup. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8758771&postcount=97

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I just recently kitted out a couple of tents and was looking at automation and was blown away at the price of commercial equipment so I looked into smart plugs, IFTTT and the like, never saw Z-wave though. I kept coming back to a nagging fear that they are not reliable enough regardless whether they were or not. In the end I just went with a mechanical timer and Inkbirds for temp and humidity. Maybe if I do another install I will look at automation again.

unnamed mike has a pretty interesting Arundo setup. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8758771&postcount=97

Inkbirds are really good for accuracy and reliability.

Sensorpush is a great way to monitor what's going on.
http://www.sensorpush.com

I'm looking into home automation and trying to decide hub or no hub and if using a hub which one. It seems that some hubs are more compatible with different devices while some are very proprietary. IFTTT seems to be the most universal standard but it's acceptance is limited.

Any experience here?

I use ifttt plug with a ifttt thermoigrometer and it works very nice, I ve found also a soil umidity sensor I want to give a try. It s a nice way to control small room

St. Phatty

Any experience here?

ask a friend to hack it, just to test it out.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I've been using z-wave automation for years. Looked into IFTTT about a year ago. Still using z-wave for greenhouse, security, automation, hvac, and voice control.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
A guy named Karl Denninger wrote some software for home control via phone ap. His website is www.marketticker.org. He has a free version, but was trying to sell the whole package of software to a big company. Secure, no cloud based spy system.

If interested, you will have to dig through his site to find the info, or email him.

I am not endorsing his content or fucked up attitude.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I'm good with all the capabilities needed. It's unbelievable how far you can take it and how it integrates into your life. Reminds me of all those years using autopilot and then getting an FMS. Thanks

Latest posts

Latest posts