What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tangerine kush DWC scrog

benjuanman

Veteran
Shame about the mold but the rest of the buds look mad. Eagerly waiting on what the final harvest weighs in at. That was a big ass plant.

Harvest weigh in!

Harvest weigh in!

So here is what she gave me after all is said and done:

Prime bud and B grade: 9.69oz
Popcorn and sugar trim (complete stem removal): 7.62oz
Grand total: 17.31oz

Running a single plant scrog was a fun little experiment that will not be repeated in the near future. The contaminated buds will not be weighed as none of it was dried so weights are exclusive of it. If anyone is interested I can post results of my upcoming runs of bho and qwiso with the dried bud or the experimental fresh frozen contaminated bud.

After 1 week cure the aroma is changing. The skunk funk has faded considerably, citrus cleaner is coming out, a very strong sweet creamy smell had shown up, and there is a touch of fuel. Tricomes have some Amber. A friend tried it after the quick dry. Said it was fruity and very smooth. He smoked a bowl and said effects were more body stone than head high. Also worth noting that he mentioned citrus flavor was present all the way to the end of the bowl. I'll post final impressions after cure ages another week or 2. All in all I'm happy with the final results. This grow had a few surprises, and yet again I managed to learn a few things. Another success in my book!

For the math geeks:
65.4 gpw
47.18g per sq ft.

Not bad for a 2x4 tent.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
If any of y'all are interested the next journal will be on a grow of 3 seed run brothers Grimm new stock c99 with one tangerine kush. They will be under a 630w DE CMH bulb for bloom. This is going to be a crazy bloom on these guys as it's an experimental run with the cmh and using a 4200k spectrum bulb for giggles and shits. They are currently over 3' 6" in veg. They have been cut down twice to allow for longer veg due to tangerine taking so long. The root mass under them is insane. I will be cutting them down again prior to going into bloom tent tonight or tomorrow. I'll fire up the journal in a day or two. From the research I've done and the plant vigor I'm seeing, it's possibly going to be another heavy harvest with some beautiful flowers. I'm super excited to see if the new light and the champion genetics do special things!!!! Oh and the c99 smells like sour grape fruit in veg!

benjuanman

Veteran
Nice work bro not bad at all for a single plant. Def interested in the C99 with CMH bulbs! When I get settled in with a decent cash flow I will b investing in them CMHs. Read n seen nothing but great results from them. So yeah put up the oil results too please �� Keep doin ur thing.

FSG- I love scrog and plant training that goes with it. Single plant scrog I am not a big fan of for how I like growing. I love multi strain or multi plant grows. Time is the other thing. I'll scrog/lst 4 plants way faster than I can scrog out a single plant. So between messing with timing on harvest cycles and hindering the ability to grow all the strains I want to try, single plant scrog isn't on my agenda currently. Maybe later, but probably not. My preferred plant count is either 2 plants or 4 plants per grow. Footprint works really good for my 2x4 tent and my preferred 18g Rubbermaid totes.

Great news! I finally caught a bbq with one of my friend groups that has a few smokers among them. Everyone who tried her was raving about the flavor, smoothness (no one was coughing), and high. The high was described as very clear headed and euphoric. There was a lot of laughter and the girls were quite giggly. This is why I grow. It makes me happy knowing that what I do brings joy to the ones I choose to share my work with. For the record all herb was smoked out of glass pipes.

Looks like I'll start making concentrates tomorrow and possibly a batch of hard candies as well.

My DIY extraction tube. Works for both qwiso and bho. No clue in assembly, all compression fit pvc fittings. All parts available at home depot except for the 55 micron screen. If doing qwiso I use paint filter material instead of metal mesh for initial filtration. The tube is 2" pipe. The trick to qwiso is you have to use a 1 1/2" pipe with an internal pipe plug to squish excess iso out. I'll post more info if anyone wants it on the setup. Super simple to build. Only tools needed to build is a drill if using for bho. Cost less than $30 to make. We will call it black beauty rev. 0.
picture.php

picture.php

I'll do a write up tonight. I'll also get actual prices and part names from home depot. Just an fyi, the bottom clean out socket leaks by a little on the bottom. This is a good thing. It's a redneck pressure safety release. It only leaks when running bho. I have a feeling it's from plastic shrinkage from cold temps of butane. I've got a bunch of material to run. I'll also post any modifications or improvements I dream up. Goal here is cheap, easy, and affordable. I encourage feedback and ideas for improvement!

Extraction setup and useful bits of advice: use at your own risk.

Extraction setup and useful bits of advice: use at your own risk.

Disclaimer: the following article is for information only. The application or use of this information by anyone is at their own risk. The use of butane as an extraction method is one that is inherently dangerous. Using pressurized butane in a non closed loop extraction process will create an atmosphere that has a low flash point and can be explosive. DO NOT do this indoors or anyplace that has the potential of creating an ignition point. Set up a table outside at least 50 feet from anything that has an electrical connection. Nothing electrical should be within said 50 foot radius. This radius shall be maintained while you are running butane through the extraction tube. If you are going to use any kind of warming device to help purge, wait until after you have ran all of your butane to start using it. Electrical warming devices should have the plug connection to the extension cord wrapped with electrical tape. Plug in and tape outside of 50 foot radius. Do not smoke or vape while working with bho.

If following the above safety precautions are too much for you to bother with, don't mess with making bho. The local hospital burn unit isn't a fun place to spend your time, and the fire department won't be friendly either. Ok end of safety rant. Hopefully some of this sank in.

Parts list:

1- 2" male plug
1- 2" female adapter
1- 2" abs or pvc pipe, length is up to you.
1- 2" trap adapter (when purchasing make sure plastic ring gasket is in between removable nut and trap adapter fitting)
1- screen material: I recommend 55 micron metal screen for bho. Paint strainer screen works great for initial filter with qwiso as it drains fast and won't clog.
1- 1 1/2" abs or pvc pipe (packing rod and material removal)
1- test plug

Assembly for bho extraction:

1. Cut 2" pipe to desired length.
A- the inside of pipe will have dust in it. Wrap a layer of paper towel around the 1 1/2" pipe and wet with water or isopropyl alcohol and run through 2" pipe to clean inside of the pipe before assembly.
2. Thread male plug into female adapter
3. Slide plug adapter onto 2" pipe.
4. Drill hole to match butane can nozzle or adapter for nozzle you plan on using.
5. Take apart trap adapter fitting and get the plastic ring gasket.
6. Use ring gasket to trace circle onto 55 screen, be sure to use outside of ring. I recommend using a needle point sharpie marker.
7. Cut out circle with a pair scissors.
8. Drop screen into trap adapter nut and set gasket on top of it with the flat side of the gasket against the screen.
9. Screw together trap adapter and slide onto the other end of the pipe.
10. Make sure all fittings are pushed all the way in. Set entire contraption on a table or the floor and tap the ends with a rubber mallet if you are unsure they are seated correctly. Don't go caveman, as plastic will crack.
11. Slide test plug into

Extraction tube setup general notes:

1.This is setup to use a piece of either 2" pvc or abs pipe. Most places sell it in multiple lengths.
2. A 2 foot long peice can generally hold 3/4 To 1 pound of material. How fine material is, how dry, and how tight you pack it will change how much it holds.
3. Be aware that this isn't the ideal setup as it is not leak tight and you will lose pressure due to leaks at all connections since no glue is used in the construction.
4. The quality of your concentrates will be determined by 3 things. The material you use, the preparation you do for blasting, and your post blasting purging.
5. I highly recommend using either properly dried and cured bud or fresh frozen bud. The only trimmings you should use are sugar leaves.
6. FREEZE EVERYTHING!!!! 24 hours in the freezer for the butane and material to be extracted (preferably already packed into the extraction tube). This minimises the amount of clorophyl, plant fats, and waxes you will pick up.
7. Personally I purge with a best vac setup. Temp controlled heat pad, and a vacume chamber. I set the temp to 160°F and work the material until the butane is gone. Usually takes less than 45 minutes from after scrape to fully purged. Lower heats work fine, it just takes longer. I always do a final test at 160 to verify lower temp purge got everything.
8. Do your homework. This is a rough outline for building a extractor tube with some side notes. Better and more intelligent people than myself have written awesome guides for butane extraction. Check out skunk farm research's web page and pay attention to what graywolf has to say.

Qwiso notes:

The above instructions for the blast tube still apply with the following modifications:

Assembly:

1. Screen material: use paint strainer filter material.

General notes:

1. Fill tube and leave a couple inches of space at the top. Pack the tube very loosely.
2. Freeze packed tube and iso for 24 hours.
3. 99% is the recommended choice. I haven't used it yet, so I can't speak to how much better it is.
4. 91% iso works fine. It will pick up a little more chlorophyll and takes a while to get the water to dry.
5. Remove male plug and start filling with iso. Depending on amount of material, I recommend 1 quart per 2 oz material as a good place to start.
6. Once all iso has been dumped, use the 1 1/2" pipe with test plug to compress the material to push out excess iso. Do this reasonably fast as the longer the iso is in contact with material the darker it will be. This is due to the iso picking up chlorophyll.
7. I generally jar up the fluid at this point and it gets 2 days in the freezer to let the fats and waxes precipitate out of the solution. I use wide mouth mason jars for this.
8. After winterization I will filter the iso through a 55 micron screen. To cut screen to size, use inner lid of mason jar as a tracing template. Cut out with scissors.
9. After screen is installed in place of the inner mason jar lid, poke a hole in it next to the edge of the outer lid. This acts a breather or "carb" hole so the fluid pours smooth since the 55 micron screen doesn't breath well.
10. Purge with thin film method. 11 x 17 Pyrex baking dish works well for this. You can line with ptfe material if you don't care for scraping. I've yet to try it, but it comes highly reviewed.
6. When purging it is normal for a milky fluid to develop towards the end. Pay it no mind, it will dry and it contains good stuff.
6. A fan blowing across the surface of extract fluid will help evaporate it faster. Heat isn't needed, but will help as well.

General notes for both:

1. Winterization is highly recomended. The removal of plant waxes and fats leads to some seriously smooth smoking concentrates. This is also crucial if the concentrates will be used in the making of vape fluids. Fats and waxes tend to gum things up.

Picture time!
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Please feel free to point out any flaws or post any helpful tips. As noted before this is just a general outline with my tidbits of useful things I have learned along the way. I am by no means an expert. Keep in mind the only thing I am good for, is to be used as a bad example!

Alright tangerine kush scrog was fun. I'll update with concentrate results once I finish with what I plan on blasting. Final say on tangerine kush is she is a keeper and I have no plans of losing or letting her go.

Now as some of you know I have some c99 from brothers Grimm growing at the moment. The new journal is up and the link is in my signature below. Please feel free to follow along for the next exciting episode of what's in my tent!

Latest posts

Latest posts