What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why Can't I grow a Plant That May Help Me?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Are you not allowed to grow medicinal plants?

not if it hurts a politicians donors profit margins...if someone discovered that eating dandelion leaves cured cancer, there would be a law against it by dawn, & helicopters would be spraying your yards with Roundup.

Preacher

That's a very vague question. Where do you live, and do you intend to enjoy the herb for recreation, medicine, or necessary life-saving medicine? The legality varies widely but I damn near know it all in that regard.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Money!!!! Alcohol and Tobacco lobbies. If they allowed it, the would take over all growing, and tax the living crap out of it. Have you ever seen a tobacco seed???

WelderDan

Veteran
Well, you need to understand why cannabis was made illegal in the first place. Racism was part of it, 'cause the Messicans and Black people used it. So by the logic of the time, it caused them to rape the white womens. And then there was William Randolph Hearst, with his newspapers as a bully pulpit, and his vast timber holdings that he used to print those propaganda pieces. Hemp was a direct threat as it's much cheaper to produce than growing trees. Then you got DuPont, who had just invented nylon. Can't very well sell nylon rope when cheap hemp is in direct competition.

So in a nutshell, Racism and Greed.

And that's why it's still illegal. White people are far less likely to be incarcerated for possession than people of color. And the timber companies and DuPont don't want the competition for paper and rope.

There are other socioeconomic factors, as well as years of "gateway drug" propaganda, but there you have it.

oldchuck

Veteran
Seems like either a dumb question or a rhetorical question. You know damn well why, Betterhaff. So what is your point?

And CaptainZ, I'd like to know what country you are from?

Betterhaff

Veteran
Not so sure about dumb but rhetorical...maybe. Like...Why does the US Government claim cannabis has no medical benefit?

My point is the US Government has held a utility patent for years on a variety of substances produced by the plant which seems to contradict the gist of the above question.

From the abstract of the patent: "This new found property makes cannabinoids useful in the treatment and prophylaxis of a wide range of oxidation associated diseases, such as ischemic, age-related, inflammatory and autoimmune diseases."

So has the Government just sat on this information for almost 20 years?

Attachments

• US-patent-6630507.pdf
    272.6 KB · Views: 23

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Not only have they sat on it...
They continue to sit on the studies that they received their patent for.

The government makes way more money for our plants being illegal than they would if these plants were freed.
Any & all illegal plants included...

oldchuck

Veteran
Not so sure about dumb but rhetorical...maybe. Like...Why does the US Government claim cannabis has no medical benefit?

Once again Betterhaff, the answer seems completely obvious: politics. The money is not as important as the official need to suppress dangerous minorities, like hippies, blacks, Mexicans, political activists and other such vermin.

oldchuck

Veteran
It's Carpatin i aint no Captain :)),from east europe dosent metter what country they are all bulshit in this part,why?

Okay, but I think I like CaptainZ better. I don't know what Carpatin means.

Why? Because you sounded so bitter about your country's laws and I wondered about who might have it worse than many places in the US.

Dog Star

Veteran
Bitter but with good reason...

CarpatinZ told true,here we are under a hegemony of USA and
European Commision that get orders what to do from Washington..

hole South and East Europe preparing much more for a War with Russia
than to legalize cannabis... its interests you know..

you cant smoke weed... but you can be militarized and fight again around
Moscow or Stalingrad,thats OK for Washington...

They dont need Cannabis in this moment cause "bosses" have some other plans
for us.. and thats it a militarization of a Europe.

You know daily politics.. its very important here what America says... they are a liders
in democracy... free World that everybody others made non-free..