What's new

Making ICMag self-sufficient.....

oldpink

Un - Retired,
Administrator
Veteran
we are already planning a subscription service
this will give access to IC mag articles on line and Streaming video if it doesn't kill the bandwidth
you will also get other services that will not be available to normal members
it will take some time to sort this out but is in the pipeline

OP

G

the sub fee sounds good but its a one time deal per year, and at 25,000+ a year to keep up the site,and growin, you need 1000+ peeps at 25.00ea to stay even. any perks tossed in and up go the costs. also its gonna take a bit to get 1000 subs right off. thats just a quick basic look at costs.

but if you could get that many subs each and every year, along with ads, then you would be good to go.

i think ad revenue would be the quickest, if seedbay comes back, sellers should be able to support both sites. and no offense Gyp, but i think the aution site would do much better structured more along the lines of Cbay, loose all the auctions that are retail right off, ya have seed boutique for that, all those retail auctions were a turn off for me.

yeah have auction specials to thin out over stocked seed, but chill on the other. so with minimal subs, seller auctions, and ad revenue, i would think that would cover costs with left overs to improve whatever needed improvement.

Pike

4iiii'z

sup gypo ?
International Cannagraphic Magazine not make enough money to pay for the forums ?
thats fukin sad m8
simple answer -
me-/whips gypo ~ work harder ya lazy bastard

:p

Latitude18

Wait stop the press'

Wait stop the press'

.. I have the best Idea of all , We make a game !!!! Here's it is ... like the Sims but diff. I call it "WyldBCoyote's Virtual (weed) Garden" . You can go around and buy seeds , clones , and plants ,,, nutes , systems ,lights and rooms , gardens , and greenhouses , online , from other players , sell and trade to to make money. Then germ , plant and tend to your crop ... Just like real life ... harvest dry and cure for for a yeild and quality rating and you get to sell store or smoke with friends in lil coffeeshops and hang outs in the game ... options are endless ... grow guilds , clothes , compitions , character and avatar design , towns cities island in the sun , .... endless

Pat.Pending ... all rights reserved ... copyright right here in my head

edit: With a F'n Space expansion pack.... and no i'm not 14 but accually 39

Last edited:

4iiii'z

4iiii'z said:

sup gypo ?
International Cannagraphic Magazine not make enough money to pay for the forums ?
thats fukin sad m8
simple answer -
me-/whips gypo ~ work harder ya lazy bastard

:p

heh
pokes gyp /-

In next months issue of International Cannagraphic Magazine
read about how Gypsy Nirvana foiled a hostile take-over bid, by the infamous PoM.
The Full Story...

fukin-ell I'd buy it.

:D

This is a complex problem for many reasons:

1) IC (and other sites to be fair) are what they are in part b/c they are free and therefore everyone can participate

2) This is not directed at anyone but based on statsitical data ony a fraction of the people who say they will pay ever do. One reason for this could be there needs to be a payment transaction which is a security risk. Another is that some people will migrate to another site simply b/c they are still free. After all, what is the actual value of IC or OG or any site? Is it the servers or the people who post? No offense to GN or anyone else since I love the site, want it to succeed and you have ALWAYS done me right on my orders.

3) The current situation makes it difficult to predict the future. I hope this is the end of the dope opera and IC stays under your control but legal issues always take time and money.

Now having highlighted some challenges let me post some suggestions:

1) It is a mix in the end of all these models that will probably make the most sense.
Due to the legal ramifications of advertising Ad revenue will only go so far but every penny counts. The # of memberships and the fee you can charge will depend on the value of the service (See #3 below)

2) To avoid closing the community to ideas and new faces some forums should always be free.

3) to drive membership means you need to provide value beyond the other sites. A dedicated chat room with posted hours of support by respected professionals for sick plant issues or setup, etc... could be one way to get new users to sign up. Look into a pc to pc voice service that would allow members to dial each other securely and easily. Hall of fame threads could be moved to members only. Make a page limit on a thread size before it automatically moves to the members sections. The key to many of my suggestions is to identify your most valuable content.

3b) tied to #3 and #4 - Maybe the best way to staff these chat rooms is to have volunteers who have pass a subject matter "test". Using volunteers is free and monetizes a valuable community asset. The moderators could be fall backs if no volunteer is in the room.

4) Seperate from the membership above you could provide pay-per-incident support for sick plants, startup questions, etc... using idea in #4.

5) This is going to sound corny but add more social networking elements. Think myspace for pot. Obviously people will need to be selective in their posting but offering a more interactive set of features could attract people to sign up.

HTH

Last edited:

Farmer John

Born to be alive.
Veteran
Shit, I have enough seeds for auction, and we sure can make more. and as long as we are not talking about hundreds of € a year Im willing to pay for this..

ezozo

Hi everyone,
although I am a small grower and need to learn a lot.
I am a vary talented computer fart :)

2500 EURO it's extortion
Gypsy look here for some good web hosting

top ten

http://www.thehostingchart.com/?igojo=1&mej=406

and you can find nice good web hosting for no more then 100-250$ a month with enormous space and bandwidth (maybe more then you have now)

I will be glad to transfer the data and the forum free (I am doing thing like that for my living)

good luck
zozo

ezozo

one more thing

there is the Google AdWords Credit, you give google put some Ad's on the side or the top.
as you can get money depending on the amounts of users here.

good luck
zozo

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
IMHO if cheaper webhosting = less security, then I'd gladly pay... Hell, I'd even pay double to cover someone who couldn't afford to pay...

G

I think 50 euros a year would be fair, I would certainly pay for myself and also we could have a reserve fund for those less fortunate.

If you pay for internet access, why not pay a small Icmag Tax? Its what you use your internet access on anyway isn't it?

I will chant for a positive resolution, Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

Together we shall and must continue to overcome.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Reading between the lines, I don't like the sound of that. Does that mean that the future of seedboutique and seedbay may not be GN/DG operated? Ooops, sorry that topic is tabboo. I'll try a different track, why would you want to distance a weed site from seed sales being used to finance it? Especially when they could do it so easily. I've been asking for bulb sales for a long time. There are so many financing options.
Out of interest, how much data traffic goes on here per month, I know it must be a lot, coz 500gb pm costs $15 (encrypted ( from the link provided earlier in the thread)), how much does it take to rack up $2,500 unencrypted? I know we are in Adam here and not the US but still a hell of a difference.

ezozo

Grat3fulh3ad said:
IMHO if cheaper webhosting = less security, then I'd gladly pay... Hell, I'd even pay double to cover someone who couldn't afford to pay...

I am talking about dedicated server and will have the same security as you have here.

peace
zozo

justforfun

ezozo said:
I am talking about dedicated server and will have the same security as you have here.

peace
zozo

It's OK if the server is not in the USA or a country that is not in bed with the USA.

In Europe things (internet service) are much more expensive than in the USA.

How long do you think a website like this would last in the USA?

In the USA internet companies are by law required to provide Home Land Securety with any info. they request at any time. How safe would your IP be then.

No answer needed.

Just send in a donation and don't expect anything other than a great site and security. :woohoo: ICMAG is back!!!!!!!!

JFF

ezozo

I have my servers in canada
and believe me thay don't care.

I know that in Europe it cost more but 2500 EURO instead of 250$ :yoinks:

we can find something better ...

peace
zozo

foaf

Veteran
2500 eu per month is just silly. I have experience with web hosting and its true that europe is expensive compared to US, but and even in amsterdam, there are many ways to host a site of this size and membership for way way less than that.

So lemme get this straight. People come here and for free post cool pictures and give free advice. The site has banner ads that make some money, but not enough to cover the unreasonable hosting fee, and you want to now charge some type of membership.

Its you guys site, do what you will, but its not gonna play out like you hope.

ans- find hosting that is reasonable.

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Babbabud said:
yup count me in and it sure would keep the trolls out :)

A Good Hydro Set Up (Buckets,Light's,Nute's,Etc) 1500.00

Some Beans For The Setup 150.00

A Membership To IC To Learn How To Use It 30.00 A Year

Keeping The Trolls Out Priceless

Seems like some good math to me.

Mr.Wags

TAG-monk

A Good Hydro Set Up (Buckets,Light's,Nute's,Etc) 1500.00

Some Beans For The Setup 150.00

A Membership To IC To Learn How To Use It 30.00 A Year

Keeping The Trolls Out Priceless

Seems like some good math to me.