What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

VerdantGreen's 104 watt micro grow with custom HG LED (ScrOG)

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi all, :tiphat: check this out
picture.php

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :dance013::laughing: :jump:
this is a custom made LED unit from Hydro Grow, it uses the same chassis as the standard 63w unit, but has the maximum number of LED's in it - one in every hole - which amounts to 120 (it draws 104w total from the wall). the lens angle is 90 degrees rather than the standard 60 and the colour ratios are from the 3rd generation units which are currently in development and testing. i cant tell you what the exact rations are because i dont know yet but i can tell you that the spectrum contains (yes you may have guessed) green!
it turns out that as i was looking into green light for my other cab, LEDgirl was also considering using green in her next generation of lights - so when i started talking to her about a custom light and asking about green she told me about their plans and asked if i wanted to try these out. i should also point out that i paid for this light.
the reason why i wanted a custom light was mainly due to the triangular shape of the space i had available to me - so a smaller unit would allow me to place it higher and get more headroom in the cab. the actual cab for this light is not yet built, but in the meantime i have swapped it with the 63w unit in my existing micro cab to see how it goes flowering out a sharksbreath that was 16 days in. this cab is only 12" by 20" so i may get some nice big buds or i may cook the plant. time will tell :D
hope that all makes sense.

NB - on page 7 of this thread the light s moved into a bigger cab, 2' x 16", at the start of the original haze grow.

so here is the plant in question - already at 16 days flower and so far flowered under the 63w unit. sharksbreath goes 10 weeks or more so plenty of time left. :dance013:
picture.php

picture.php

and here it is under the light - as you can see the colou ratios make the overall colour look different. to the naked eye it looks more white than the second gen units - even though there are no white LED's in there
picture.php

cheers:tiphat:

VG

Last edited:

Irie_Lion

Free up the Herbs....Let the Sacrament grow!
Veteran
nice....i like how there are more leds packed into the smaller panel! If that could be done with the 63w unit then hopefully she can do the same with some of the other wattages. I already got 2 of the 2nd gen 126w models but am interested in seeing the new models now that u tease us with this :) Thanks for starting this thread VG always a pleasure watching your grows. Take care

Cojito

cool light VG.

but what made you consider adding green? and why did you move away from the 60 degree model? more coverage?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
SmilinBob - thanks - i hope i can put up a good show. you are right, LED's are still quite expensive in comparison to other lights. Im not a person that regularly pays a premium for stuff. i wouldnt pay double for a pair of trainers or clothes just because they have a certain logo on them (in fact i would expect them to pay me to become a walking billboard for their products ;) ) i wouldnt pay loads for the latest mobile phone, or vintage bottle of wine. But when it comes to growing weed i dont mind investing a bit extra because that is one of my real passions, the product is of a very high value and in this case you get the money back in future savings on power and bulbs. LED will also allow you to grow in places where you just couldnt use an HPS due to temp issues.

Irie! - always a pleasure to have you along mate :) :wave:

Cojito - if you go to page 17 of my 205w LED grow and read a bit, you will see some discussion and links about green light for growing.
as for the 90 degree lenses it means that the light/footprint will spread quicker and allow me to have the plant closer to the light (currently 7-8 inches away) if i had used the standard 60 degrees i would probably have to keep the plants a foot away and in a cabinet with about 2' of height that is way too much. ;)

Sleepy - :thank you: i hope so
m00nchild - hi :)

im just about to go up and see if my plants are ok under this light :D

cheers - i also should hsve mentioned that this grow will be using organic soil as usual. my method is to mix a very good and complete soil and just add water (pH corrected to around 6 with citric acid) for most of the grow.

VG.

Last edited:

Scrogerman

Veteran
Wow buddy!
looks real Smart man, i never realised they were developing LED units with Green spectrum too, cool. Ive been looking at the new Phillips green at £45 approx, i know its HPS but obviously has adjusted Green spec added. May have to get one. But id luv one of these, beats aircooled rigs hands down &* the output aint filtered light either. imo of course!
Those SB's are looking lovely too mate, starting to pump the trichs out already, thats gonna be killa man.
Good Luck with your Grow buddy! caught this one early, finally.
Peace.....Scroger!

your gonna have to PM me your pot mix so i can get my ass sorted for the next time.

Scrogerman

Veteran
How much are the LED units buddy?,(the new ones)?. when i get some spare cash, i gotta have one!

cheebs318

Awesome! When I noticed that my 63-watt unit (which I'm very happy with, btw) had more available LED positions I immediately thought it would be great to get a light configured in that manner.

Are you allowed to tell me what the price for this would be?

Your grows are what made me take the plunge into LED and I'm sure glad I did!

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran
If i remember from what secondtry said correctly, in the presence of high levels of short and long range nanometers(400-500,600-700) that white light will drive the plants even further. Is that why there is now the addition of green light? It seems like pure green would be different to me though.

Oh yea, How it going Verdant haha, how ya been?

A nice thing abut LED's is the efficient use of their style of bulbs. Whereas most CFL's and even HID users waste a lot of efficiency by running their bulb horizontally or in a deep style reflector instead o maximizing the arc or tube. Also you can combine the target area of the LED's which works out real well if you predetermine the space you need.

Sorry for this rant just smoked this...

Plus some extra that you can only see the tip of on the side

itokealot

How much did this light set you back? Care to share your soil mix? I'm a first time grower and would love to go organic. How do you get the pH to stay level? Thanks.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi all, for those who asked what i paid for this light but you will have to ask LEDgirl for a price. i think i get a discount because my diaries tend to help sales ;)
the pound is getting stronger so it may be a good time to buy, bear in mind the standard units have better heat management which does influence efficiency etc.

hey scroger im gonna post up my soil mix later :)

fatigues - i'll try and put on a good show.

bb! - yeah im fine thanks, you are right it was some of secondtry's links that got me thinking about green light - i posted some of them up on my other thread. basically green light drives photosynthesis very efficiently in the presence of strong white light (white light being a light made of mixed spectrum like an LED lamp)

gavin - they look nice! - i got my sharksbreath cut from a friend who grew out a couple of packs.ime its a heavy hitter, good pain relief and a good yielder.

itokealot - ill post my soil mix later - just got to find it. dolomite lime in the soil helps keep it steady as does plenty of organic matter.

VG

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
here is the soil mix. if it seems a bit too many ingredients for you then you could probably leave out the rock dusts and use just wormcastings or mushroom compost, 2 parts

3 parts peat
2 parts quality topsoil ( make sure it hasnt any ferts added) if you are going to use native topsoil then consult my 'topsoil in the mix' thread
3 parts perlite
1 part mushroom compost
1 part wormcasts
dolomite lime 5g/litre

and the ferts, the guano doses are for cavemans (UK Brand which isnt that strong), i reduce the N guano a little for sensitive strains but that mix has never burned anything. obviously for seedlings i leave all the ferts out except the seaweed meal

N guano - 4g/litre veg, 2-4g/litre flower (strain dependent)
P guano - 4g/litre veg, 8g/litre flower
Rock phosphate 5g/l
rock potash 5g/l
seaweed meal 5g/l

the i just add water amended to around pH 6 with Citric acid. perhaps a bit of biobizz if they look hungry later on and maybe molasses 1teaspoon/gallon a couple times later on in flower. i am lucky in the UK to have a sustainable/ethical source of bat guano - i urge you to try and source eco friendly guano or use an alternative.

cheers

VG

Scrogerman

Veteran
Thanks Verdant, One thing ive learnt with all this soil growing business. if you get the Mix right in the first place, there's very little to do afterwards. If you dont its problems showing their ugly faces at one point or another. next time ill get your tried n tested Mixs on the go, they produce beautifully man! nice one!

Latest posts

Latest posts