What's new

Veggies to grow.. so I dont starve

MY budget is like down to a T... I know I am going to run out of money by sept.. So I am going to kill some deers, go fishing n hunt some small game and by lots of rice.. and I need veggies.. I swear My money will be gone by sept.. All i will have is marijuana and no money to get back home :/ But I hope something works out..

If I can pan some gold even an ounce in like 6 months.. I will keep alive lol.

But yea veggies been growing these a long time.. but I am unsure of nutritional value to keep me alive.. so which ones?

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Lettuces, Broccoli, Spinach, Kale.
Those are your main greens that are good for everyone.

If you blood type isn't "A"... grow cabbage like Bok-Choy and make kimchi and your own sourkraut. Fermented is awesome for you.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

S

SeaMaiden

Quinoa only needs good water, not good soil.

Potatoes are supposed to be very easy to grow if you can continue to put soil on top of them, I have no idea of their nutrient requirements, though.

The lettuces mentioned above are absolutely easy to grow, I always let some go to seed so I have next season's/year's lettuce for free. Right now I have a shit-ton of micro-greens growing in and near our raised beds from the lettuces I let go to seed.

Carrots, perhaps? Mustard greens? Squash! Do the Three Sisters of corn, squash and beans (I LOVE, as in ADORE beans, not green beans, dried beans made into a soup, Puerto Rican style). Grow herbs that you like to use like cilantro, basil, rosemary, etcetera. Grow cilantro and basil in shady areas so they don't fucking BOLT. I hate that. I grow oregano and it survives our lowest freezes here at the lower elevations of the western scarp of the central Sierra Nevada. Well, one type, my grandmother's oregano from Puerto Rico died with a quickness after 2 days of 15*F. :(

What else...? Perhaps corn, but it's a short season as a fresh crop, I suppose that's where staggering your plantings might come in handy
Of course, tomatoes. If you can't eat them immediately you can cook them (I like to roast in the oven first, then put through the food mill, then can them up) and preserve them for later.

Panning looks like backbreaking work. What about one of those flume thingies that they use with a couple of 5gal buckets? We've just had a lot of rain, so it's a good time to hit a river like the Moke or Cosumnes.

Nader

Veteran
Make sure you get some rock dust or similar mineral supplment for the soil so that the food you pick has all of the minerals that you require.

Radishes are very easy and quick to finish.... the radish greens of course are also edible

Purslane likes hot weather, but I do recall that it is the leafy green with one of, if not the highest omega-3 fatty acid content

Watercress (true watercress, as in Nasturtium officinale will grow rapidly where there is running water. Once established, it can withstand cold temps very easily. You can definitely survive on watercress and nothing else for at least 6 months. Its nutritional content is that profound.

Cape gooseberries are incredibly healthy, thrives in poor soil, and if left in their husks, they will keep at room temperature for at least 1.5 months

Winter squash such as the Triamble variety (also known as Shamrock) can keep for up to 2 years in cold dry conditions.

It is also worth your while to get a book on the local edible plants and mushrooms.

And don't forget, earthworms are edible and nutritious.

Danks2005

marijuana has always magically turned into money for me. Maybe you'll have some luck with that. Your local will many times dictate what you can and cant grow and when. I grow tomatos, cucumbers, peppers, swiss chard, lots of herbs, and more. Good luck.

M

MrSterling

Legumes are a great source of calories. The cabbage family tends to be hardy, good for you, and easy to grow in a variety of conditions. How much land do you have for gardening? As little as 1/2 an acre is enough to support you and a couple people done right. A local community garden claims to raise enough food for 40 families 9 months out of the year on 1/2 an acre, but I find amounts like that doubtful.

northstate

ICMag Donor
Kale, Chard, broccoli, cabbage, spinach & lettuce(shade), summer & winter squash, onions, potatoes, beans. The trick to eating all the time from your own garden in staggered plantings of fast and slow growing things. Takes a lot of plant matter to feed a person a well rounded diet but you can eat really well with some decent effort and planting more than you think you need. Nature takes a percentage of your hard earned food. Good luck and you will be amazed how much you can produce.NS

Bag of dried beans is a cheap staple. Easy to boil with an onion and garlic clove. Great with rice which is another cheap staple.

I've always enjoyed growing tomatoes. I have several different dishes I cook that include tomatoes i.e. salsa, curry, fajitas, kabobs, ect.

Funny how over the years tomato plants pop up all over the yard like weeds. I let them grow wild and produce fruit ;)

djonkoman

Veteran
I'm thinking of this too lately, I would like to be selfsufficient, at least in the area of food, in a few years.
I would at least grow potatoes and beans, both are nutritious and can be stored for a while. also some vegetables that survive into the winter like kale, I also really like a local recipe we have here, 'boerenkoolstamppot', wich is kale and potatoes boiled and mashed together served with a sausage, is a typical winterdish. (we have some more dishes like that, like potatoes, carrots and onions boiled and mashed together, also with sausage, and boiled potatoes mashed together with raw endive, but I like the kale-dish most)
I also like carrots a lot so I would grow both summer and wintercarrots

shmalphy

Veteran
bury a 55 gallon trash barrel to the rim, and you have an instant root cellar.

Grow some mushrooms, they have protein. Also, let your bud seed out, You can live off the seeds indefinitely because they have all the amino acids.

S

SeaMaiden

Last night we ate mostly of my home-grown, home cooked foods. The meal was based on beans (Pawnee shell) & rice with cornbread, carrots and salad. The beans, corn, carrots and lettuce I grew myself. The leftover steaks everyone else enjoyed came from a local rancher, grass-fed, antibiotic & hormone free.

If you peruse some of Eliot Coleman's work, you'll see how a market garden can be derived from as little as 1/2 acre. So, feeding yourself should be no problem.

Firstly you need the basics like beans, potatoes and lentils to give you enough energy.
You can't survive on lettuce and spinach and stuff like that.
Lentils are so cheap that you are better off buying them though.

Im a produce manager at an organic store, my suggestions are
kale
chard
cabbage
red leaf/romaine lettuce
beets
sweet potatoes
sprouts(like sunflower, high in protein)
squash
carrots

plant a lot and stagger it a bit, GOOD LUCK!

the gnome

Veteran
okra is easy to grow,
isn't affected by heat much and grows in sandy well drained soil like a weed!
they can be can/pickled

S

SeaMaiden

I want to learn more about John Jeavons's Grow Biointensive methods. Just finished an interview in Acres, USA magazine that was fascinating.

supermanlives

Veteran
potatos can be had easilly. i used to know a guy that dumpster dived out back a produce store. got lots of stuff to plant and clone.