What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grafting Development

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I do not flush, I grow organic in the earth.
When Cannabis flowers all the Cannabinoids and terpenes are produced by the flowers not the roots, stems, etc.
What I mean is that while grafting may effect the growth pattern, it has no effect on THC levels, Cannabinoids produced or terpenes produced. You can graft a THC only branch to a Hemp CBD only plant and the grafted branch will still only have THC no CBD, the same with the opposite CBD branch to a THC plant, the CBD branch produces no THC. I did this and tested it with a GC, none of the Cannabinoids from the main plant had any effect on the grafts Cannabinoid profile. Understand?
-SamS

Apfel

maybe you want to write little more about these patterns ? you have years of expirience !
any context in weight/crop and mainplants ?
wich technics you tried.....
im nosey.

Yarkand

Indeed by Rob Clarke and at the same time might as well get Hashish by the same author and i think Sam helped out in that one too.

Happy weekend

Yarkand

Same here dude !

I still read them while taking a dump :biggrin:

Thanks for those books man, it really inspired me to grow and see cannabis from a different angle.

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
When I cut branches for cloning, I have been coating the blade of my x-acto knife with honey. This seals the cut as I make it, and honey is anti-bacterial(well it's more complicated than that, but it's good for wounds....). I also use honey on cuttings for cloning. I wonder if it's same qualities would be useful in grafting. Just a thought.

Budley Doright

Veteran
Im just curious....

Ive done quite a bit of grafting with fruit trees....

the vast majority are done using some version of

chip budding....

Anyone know why this method hasnt been tried?????

It seems to me there would be big advantages to chip budding rather than approach grafts or saddle grafts....

I do in fact have a chip graft working..... I did it about a week ago.... looks good so far....

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
Im just curious....

Ive done quite a bit of grafting with fruit trees....

the vast majority are done using some version of

chip budding....

Anyone know why this method hasnt been tried?????

It seems to me there would be big advantages to chip budding rather than approach grafts or saddle grafts....

I do in fact have a chip graft working..... I did it about a week ago.... looks good so far....

WTF is chip budding?

Edit;
Found it, interesting technique, awefull small graft tho for such a fast growing plant. I might have to try it none the less just to see what I can do.

Budley Doright

Veteran
I think I have a live growing graft....

Today I removed all the vegetation from the root plant.....

So in a couple days Ill be sure.....

The advantage here is that my graft is about an inch from the soil line.....

presumably a multimom could be created on the stalk of a harvested plant.....

I should qualify my method so as to not confuse....

Im actually useing a specific method called 'T budding'

The scion material I used was a very small branch and I removed all its leaves....

leaving only the node buds..... just a spec of visable growth....

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
We would have to do the chip budding a bit differently for cannabis, since stripping off all the leaves like they do with tree buds would be counter-productive to cannabis. Still, if you matched up all the angles, it does seem like a method that should work really well. When I get my new veg chamber set up, I want to look into doing this. I should decide what clone is going to suffer my experiments......

Budley Doright

Veteran
One of the reason I think this may actually work is because it has little vegetative material to support......

the graft heals then the buds begin to grow....

the plant is then topped just above the grafts....

Maybe the price you have to pay to make a good multi mom.....

Budley Doright

Veteran
Just a quick update....

The graft looks great.... I removed waxed dental floss that I used to wrap the graft....

Its healed quite nicely.... I put the plant back under the shoplights and dont expect any wilting due to the removal of the graft wrapping....

I posted that I had removed all the growth except for that bud graft....

I expected some sort of growth spurt.....

That didnt happen....

It is most certainly growing....but slowly....

Im hoping that I didnt make a mistake in removing all the other growth.....

I think fertilizers can burn off the growth when there is this little.....

The growth we are talking about has grown from about 1/8th inch to about 1/4 inch....

I believe that once things are sorted out that these bud grafts will be the method of choice..... when constructing a multimom....

Latest posts

Latest posts