What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Drilling or Boring small holes....

B

buddymate

picture.php
picture.php

5th

Veteran
Pictures are telling me to suck it up n' buy an auger lol. Exactly what I'm looking to do. Thanks for sharing buddymate. :tiphat:

B

buddymate

Your welcome 5th,you can do 100's of holes in a morning with an auger,I have a manual one thats heavy-duty in the shed,I will get a pic of it tomorrow :ying:

5th

Veteran
That would be great, thanks again. Gas powered will work for all my plots ....except the one I've decribed with the heavy stone content.
Well its not that it won't work....its just that there is a outdoor rifle range near by....and with the way sound travel's....I'd rather be stealthy.

joe guy

I wana say its called a garden wezel or garden claw one of the two is what a buddy and I used about 10 years ago or so for our outdoor spot.. But we were a lot younger tho but do remember it being fairly easy to fluff up the native soil but wasn't very good for pulling the dirt out. We had to use regular shovel for that.. Good luck I hate natures concrete, it looks like just dirt till you want to put a hole init.. Lol well good luck buddy I hope for the backs sake u find a stealth easy way to do it..

B

buddymate

Manual auger-bit,its not as fast as the two-stroke version,but its silent and has enough "grunt" with your body-weight behind it to get the job done :ying:

picture.php

Jhhnn

Veteran
I think maybe you need to look at it a little differently.

I'd try a pick, a digging bar & a spading fork to break up the soil in holes a foot or so in diameter, maybe a little bigger, shovel it out, then plant in clumps of 3 or 4. It's a lot easier to make an existing hole bigger than to make a new one in rocky soil, particularly if exact location doesn't matter. Take what the ground gives up the most easily.

Just a different way of looking at it.

mojoman

I've got rocky/sandy soil here...govt' licensed me for 34 plants...I borrowed my buddies bob-cat and another buddy ran it for me...an hour later we had 4 furrows dug about 50' long and 2' wide...an hour after that the plant locations were determined and organic soil mix added...20 mins later we had 33 plants in...the bob-cat owner came by next day with his strong back and fav shovel and leveled the yard so I could walk it...not very stealthy...but its my yard...green mojo to all!!!!

5th

Veteran
Jhhnn - I'm trying to look at every possible option....educate myself so to speak. Good way to look at it thought. Thanks for adding to the convo.

buddymate - That hand auger its tits mate. Soon to be in my collection of outdoor gardening supply's

mojoman - For $75 an hour I can have a skidsteer (Bobcat) dropped off with an auger attachment on it...but even with tracks on it it couldn't get into my plots. Heres hoping you've an epic outdoor season this year.

:tiphat: