What's new

Malawi Gold THCv content?

benthicswimmer

So I have some Malawi Gold in my green house about four weeks from finishing. Waiting has been hard with these plants because I have never smoked this strain and I have some anxiety issues which I am hoping the Malawi will address. So yesterday I snipped a popcorn bud from her, speed dried it, and smoked it with incredible results. I don't want to smoke anything else.

I'd like to know if anyone has had any testing done on this strain. I know it is along shot but I am curious about Thcv levels, how much thcv is typically present in an African landrace sativa, percentage wise?

EdenEnvy0001

Im doing a Afropips malawi Gold rn organically with multiple spectral uv and ir stimulation and saturated co2 and greenhouse effects at high altitude PPFD simulation to try to correlate thcV content with latitude light and atmospheric compostition during the post cataclysm phase
I suspect the prehistoric high altitude variations may have developed the gene that produces this as a rare survival mechanism within hemp that only grew in the highest mountains which, pre cataclysm were twice as even taller than k2/Everest pre erosion
then it spread back down from the mountains as flood waters receded
The original species probably long went extinct a century ago but if you study high altitude mountainous landraces as a speciees without any drug industry connotations I think the theory is valid in Himalayansis, yunan species and other mountainous NLD and feral jungli species
It may be tied directly into the non senesce induced purpling gene with grape, wine, acidic natural terpene properties
A plants color is typically an expression of what’s driving its photo synthesis at the given instance sooo....

EdenEnvy0001

I’m testing it currently on a Mazar dominant Barney’s LSD planet that was grown in organic soil and uprooted when ripe; rinsed and cleaned then placed in a tented DWC in polasses fed casting and mushroom compost vermiculture and CO2 hyper saturated under UV and maximum root serration as my control the moment
But the malawi I expect the most promising results from, I want to source some authentic mulanje, Zamal reunion, Himalayan varieties besides the Johaar Kumaon I am currently CP With an AMAZING malawi male I had

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
I know it is along shot but I am curious about Thcv levels, how much thcv is typically present in an African landrace sativa, percentage wise?

The only objective way to know about this would be sending a sample from your plants to a reliable lab and finding out.

There's a lot of speculation about THCV on African genetics but until you can see the actual lab results I'd stay cautious.

I believe propyl cannabinoids were first studied and isolated by E. Gill in 1970, when he was analyzing hashish samples in UK, mostly from Pakistan:

E.W. Gill. Propyl homologue of tetrahydrocannabinol: its isolation from Cannabis, properties, and synthesis. J. Chem. Soc. (C). 3: 579-582 (1971)​

However, during this work a brief reportll appeared of the isolation of trace amounts of the propyl homologue of cannabidiol (VI) from hashish of unspecified origin. The relative quantities of the different cannabinoids in extracts of cannabis depends on climatic factors, and it may be that the previous failure to detect the propyl homologue of THC is due to the fact that the raw material subjected to the more recently developed separation and purification procedures was grown in northern latitudes. The material used in this study was grown under licence in Pakistan; most of the cannabis circulating in the United Kingdom for illicit use also originates from Pakistan. The name cannabidivarin has been proposed for the diol (VI).

One of the first references to THCV can be found on a paper researching Nepalese hashish constituents:

MERKUS, F. W. H. M. (1971). Cannabivarin and Tetrahydrocannabivarin, Two New Constituents of Hashish. Nature, 232(5312), 579–580. doi:10.1038/232579a0​

Another reference from Yukihiro Shoyama (2004) speaks about THCV presence in "Meao Thai" cultivars. There aren't many references on THCV ocurrence in Cannabis to be honest.

Basically all internet articles and publications reference the same 1973 paper from Carlton E. Turner, citing a 53% occurrence on a South African sample that has been grown in the University of Mississippi in 1970, 1971 and 1972:

Turner, C. E., & Hadley, K. (1973). Constituents of Cannabis Sativa L. II: Absence of Cannabidiol in an African Variant. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 62(2), 251–255.​

The thin-layer chromatogram of African Cannabis, using im- pregnated plates with petroleum ether-ether as described by Merkus (1 5) and De Zeeuw et al. (24,25), shows a distinct, elongated spot for Delta9-trans-tetrahydrocannabinolic acid and Delta9-trans-tetrahydrocannabivarinic acid.

Turner, C. E., & Hadley, K. (1973)Constituents of Cannabis Sativa. VI. Propyl homologs in samples of known geographical origin. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 62(10):1739 - 1741​

Figure 1 of an African variant (seed code SA-E)
contained 1.70x of I; 53.69% of 11; 2.75% of 111. can-
nabichromene (IV), and cannabidiol (VIII); 23.41 % of
( -)-A9--rruns-tetrahydrocannabinol (V); and 4.38
of cannabinol (VI).

I believe recordings could have been just merely anecdotal or specific for that determined sample of a certain cultivar. IMHO taking that as a universal truth or rule for all African Cannabis, only because this paper found a remarkably high ocurrence, could be misleading.

Cheers.

EdenEnvy0001

What’s to stop me from dropping $500 on a portable chromatograph and doing my own recording
I can read just about any instruction manual resource to teach myself

EdenEnvy0001

I’m brand new to this page but have followed threads on it as resources for half a decade now
But imma have to ask your forgiveness if my nettequite is atrociaous
I’m pretty autistic and don’t always find the right set of descriptors and reaccs

EdenEnvy0001

I really think it was scattered across post cataclysm mountain tops and mutated to survive a nuclear tropical greenhouse Trend and then an ice age during a potentially long irradiative period
I’m already doing uv CO2 hyper saturation techniques on my malawi and lsd(most mazar like out of 6 phenos tested full cycles multiple cycles)
What i really wanna do is half bury some uranium glass into the root system and hypercharge it with multi spectrum UV, far IR and dual spectrum lm301b boards at 3k and 45k. That should tell what the gene that produces thcV that exponentiates as far spectrum elements are introduced
I’m simulating drought and flood and seeing what theses ladys can handle and the f1’s across all 13 phenos were all very uniform
Except the mutant thin mint crosses with MG, shit had whole floral bracts poppin our orefkower sites like buckwheat in a headlock
Super low yielder but amazing bract structures and effect
Some of its seeds show polyembryony even in shell structure

troutman

Seed Whore
I believe propyl cannabinoids were first studied and isolated by E. Gill in 1970, when he was analyzing hashish samples in UK, mostly from Pakistan:
E.W. Gill. Propyl homologue of tetrahydrocannabinol: its isolation from Cannabis, properties, and synthesis. J. Chem. Soc. (C). 3: 579-582 (1971)​
One of the first references to THCV can be found on a paper researching Nepalese hashish constituents:
MERKUS, F. W. H. M. (1971). Cannabivarin and Tetrahydrocannabivarin, Two New Constituents of Hashish. Nature, 232(5312), 579–580. doi:10.1038/232579a0​
Another reference from Yukihiro Shoyama (2004) speaks about THCV presence in "Meao Thai" cultivars. There aren't many references on THCV ocurrence in Cannabis to be honest.

Basically all internet articles and publications reference the same 1973 paper from Carlton E. Turner, citing a 53% occurrence on a South African sample that has been grown in the University of Mississippi in 1970, 1971 and 1972:
Turner, C. E., & Hadley, K. (1973). Constituents of Cannabis Sativa L. II: Absence of Cannabidiol in an African Variant. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 62(2), 251–255.​
Turner, C. E., & Hadley, K. (1973)Constituents of Cannabis Sativa. VI. Propyl homologs in samples of known geographical origin. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 62(10):1739 - 1741​
I believe recordings could have been just merely anecdotal or specific for that determined sample of a certain cultivar. IMHO taking that as a universal truth or rule for all African Cannabis, only because this paper found a remarkably high ocurrence, could be misleading.

Cheers.

Here's some articles that you can download in PDF. :tiphat:

Cannabichromevarin and Cannabigerovarin, Two New Propyl Homologues of Cannabichromene and Cannabigerol

Cannabis. XIV. Two New Propyl Cannabinoids, Cannabicyclovarin and ?7-cis-Iso-tetrahydrocannabivarin, from Thai Cannabis

Cannabis. X. The Isolation and Structures of Four New Propyl Cannabinoid Acids, Tetrahydrocannabivarinic Acid, Cannabidivarinic Acid, Cannabichromevarinic Acid and Cannabigerovarinic Acid, from Thai Cannabis, 'Meao Variant'

EdenEnvy0001

Yeah I really would like to go to the mountains in north Thailand and southern Laos with a PPFD spectrometer, soil test kits, do air content testing ozone saturation, And tissue Samples throughout senescence. Mi suspect deep purple phenotypes not related to thermal fluctuations are probably indicative of genetics that can sustain uv/ir/fr at high levels and metabolize thcV. Prevalent carophellene levels and acidic Astringent grapes with Oily lemon Eucalyptus notes and a rotting sulfur sub aromatic characteristics
But that’s just a speculative list of qualities i expect to find in promising lines

djav59

Actually a great postulation one considered by moi many years ago but not as in depth and with ability to use those biomarkers .
I also assumed a hyperbaric chamber would be required, and the idea quickly vanished when I realized how cost prohibitive it would be in practice, but still one wishes for all the toys.

grayeyes

I recently read a report claiming that Malawi was smuggled into Africa by Arab traders in the 15th century. Don't know if it is true but interesting story.

Zapadra

Yeah I really would like to go to the mountains in north Thailand and southern Laos with a PPFD spectrometer, soil test kits, do air content testing ozone saturation, And tissue Samples throughout senescence. Mi suspect deep purple phenotypes not related to thermal fluctuations are probably indicative of genetics that can sustain uv/ir/fr at high levels and metabolize thcV. Prevalent carophellene levels and acidic Astringent grapes with Oily lemon Eucalyptus notes and a rotting sulfur sub aromatic characteristics
But that’s just a speculative list of qualities i expect to find in promising lines

Could we look for the most likely contributors to the reaction and work backward to identify the plant based biosynthesis and relevant parameters?? :chin:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts