Forums > ICMag Vendor Forums > Ace Seeds > Reviving Old Seeds**attn Dubi

Thread Title Search
Click for Ace Seeds
Reviving Old Seeds**attn Dubi Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-24-2018, 09:20 AM #1
Eleutherios

Eleutherios is on a distinguished road
Reviving Old Seeds**attn Dubi

So I haven't posted anything in any forum for quite some time. I guess that I just didn't have anything to say... At any rate, I have a pack of Erdpurt and one of Lebanon on the way from ACE's site and some Zamalidelica and some Banghi Haze freebies on the way from Seedsman. I have been spending entirely too much fucking time, in fact, reading about, looking at, and of course dreaming of growing and breeding ganja over the last few days. Honestly though, I am just going to be excited to grow my own herb securely for the first time in a couple of years. Even though I am on the legal coast, finding a spot to do your thing, when you're poor is ducking hard. It is usually just making due and having balls.

To the point, all of this landscape fetishizing has reminded me of some really old seeds that I was gifted. How old? Old enough that you would probably tell me not to bother. However if you don't throw the Dragon eggs onto the fire, how could you possibly esteem their potential? Having a background in tissue culturing in mycology, my plan was to attempt to germinate them in sterile test tubes with plain agar. The seeds, I envisioned soaking in water with a tiny bit of something like miracle grow, but I mean a tiny, tiny bit. Then, there is a solid kelp extract that I have used to stimulate germination in other, hard to sprout species (not Cannabis), with great success. After this treatment I would wash them with dilute bleach and then several times with plain, sterile water. Then they would go into the agar and be incubated at say 25c.

I thought then about something like Superthrive. It is less complex than the kelp, but has b1. Also, maybe miracle grow isn't best. Maybe it is more ideal to use a specific formula/ratio of lab grade hormones of ab&c. I don't know. That is why I am asking. I figure that some of the folks, in this specific sub-forum, love old school herb as much as I do or maybe even more and have faced similar dilemmas yourselves. So what do you think? What do you know? Play jazz.

P.s. already checked Google and it is sparse. Going to try and soft through academic literature at some point, but figured I'd go fishing here.
Eleutherios is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:24 AM #2
Eleutherios

That is supposed to say "landrace" not landscape. Autocorrect... Also "fucking" not ducking, but that is less important. Using a friend's tablet and tired... Anyways...

Old 04-24-2018, 09:29 AM #3
WHIPEDMEAT
Modortalan

WHIPEDMEAT has disabled reputation
if those are really old, try to get gibberelic acid, to boost them
WHIPEDMEAT is online now Quote

Old 04-24-2018, 01:55 PM #4
Limeygreen

Limeygreen is a glorious beacon of lightLimeygreen is a glorious beacon of lightLimeygreen is a glorious beacon of lightLimeygreen is a glorious beacon of lightLimeygreen is a glorious beacon of lightLimeygreen is a glorious beacon of lightLimeygreen is a glorious beacon of lightLimeygreen is a glorious beacon of lightLimeygreen is a glorious beacon of lightLimeygreen is a glorious beacon of lightLimeygreen is a glorious beacon of light
Some people are swearing by cracking the seeds manually to open the seed shell and let the embryo push through as they can be a lower energy. People sell a vice for this but others have suggested a couple things to me (neither of which I have tried) soak overnight in a solution of water , 1 litre with 8 drops of hydrogen peroxide, then use your fingers to gently pop the seed open at the seems. Some people like the paper towel method to germinate after this or straight in the soil. Another person also recommended to use teeth rather than fingers.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:05 PM #5
Samuel Caldwell

Samuel Caldwell is a glorious beacon of lightSamuel Caldwell is a glorious beacon of lightSamuel Caldwell is a glorious beacon of lightSamuel Caldwell is a glorious beacon of lightSamuel Caldwell is a glorious beacon of lightSamuel Caldwell is a glorious beacon of lightSamuel Caldwell is a glorious beacon of lightSamuel Caldwell is a glorious beacon of lightSamuel Caldwell is a glorious beacon of lightSamuel Caldwell is a glorious beacon of lightSamuel Caldwell is a glorious beacon of light
Here's a current thread with lots of info. Good luck! I'm battling poor germination rates on my old seeds, too.

Vintage Mexican, Seed germination and Micro propagation techniques.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:10 PM #6
Kaskadian

Kaskadian is a splendid one to beholdKaskadian is a splendid one to beholdKaskadian is a splendid one to beholdKaskadian is a splendid one to beholdKaskadian is a splendid one to beholdKaskadian is a splendid one to beholdKaskadian is a splendid one to beholdKaskadian is a splendid one to beholdKaskadian is a splendid one to beholdKaskadian is a splendid one to beholdKaskadian is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Caldwell View Post
Here's a current thread with lots of info. Good luck! I'm battling poor germination rates on my old seeds, too.

Vintage Mexican, Seed germination and Micro propagation techniques.
Incredible find Sam! I just saved this link; thanks!

2018-2019 Indoors: Baked Beanz Malawi x Black Lime/Malawi
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....97#post8403797

2018 Indoors: Female Seeds Chem OG Coco Grow
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=352668

2018 Indoors: ACE Purple Haze x Honduras (Landrace Sativa) Coco Grow
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=8176377

2017 Outdoors (45N) Bogglegum, Blue Moon Rocks, and Lifesaver.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=342429
Kaskadian is offline Quote

Old 04-24-2018, 04:13 PM #7
Spaventa

Spaventa has a brilliant futureSpaventa has a brilliant futureSpaventa has a brilliant futureSpaventa has a brilliant futureSpaventa has a brilliant futureSpaventa has a brilliant futureSpaventa has a brilliant futureSpaventa has a brilliant futureSpaventa has a brilliant futureSpaventa has a brilliant futureSpaventa has a brilliant future
biting them works nicest for me. You feel them give just enough and shorty after, up they come

Delicious Critical Jack Herer ACE Panama Haze
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=349398
Spaventa is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:22 PM #8
Eleutherios

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHIPEDMEAT View Post
if those are really old, try to get gibberelic acid, to boost them
My questions then would be "which one(s)?" and in "what concentration?" Wikipedia says that there are some 150 different variants. I would imagine that some are natural and that some are synthetic. It would be surprising to me if there wasn't some sort of interaction, agnostic on some cases antagonistic in others.

The reason that I mentioned kelp is that it is a rich source of plant growth hormones.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/225338767_Seaweed_Extracts_as_ Biostimulants_of_Plant_Growth_ and_Development

I wonder if the hormonal treatment would negate the necessity of manually opening the seed; i.e. If the difficulty in the seed opening is due to the seeds' endogenous hormones having expired.

At any rate it has been my observation that difficult to germinate tropical seeds, that take a long time, are particularly vulnerable to microbial attack. As such a sterile medium seems more ideal than soil, a soilless medium, or the old fashioned paper towel method. The latter option also suffers from the fact that it is easy to wait a little too long, the root grows into the paper towel, and it is easy to damage the root removing it.

So in the now strictly hypothetical scenario where one or more of these ancient gems actually wakes up and sprouts, I wonder if a cutting would have the same likely lack of vigor as the parent plant. Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone for your interest and responses.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:30 PM #9
Eleutherios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaskadian View Post
Incredible find Sam! I just saved this link; thanks!
That was exactly the sort of thing that I was looking for. So far I have only perused the 1st page but will certainly dive in later.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:39 PM #10
Spaventa

Spaventa has a brilliant futureSpaventa has a brilliant futureSpaventa has a brilliant futureSpaventa has a brilliant futureSpaventa has a brilliant futureSpaventa has a brilliant futureSpaventa has a brilliant futureSpaventa has a brilliant futureSpaventa has a brilliant futureSpaventa has a brilliant futureSpaventa has a brilliant future
[quote=Eleutherios;8259023]A clone is genetically identical do the plant it came from. Its potential is the same. Only a different environment will produce a different outcome.

Delicious Critical Jack Herer ACE Panama Haze
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=349398
Spaventa is offline Quote