What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Your best yeild improving "tricks"!!??!

Blunt_69

the keeper of the creeper
Veteran
topping, enviroment, HID lighting, all are contributing factors in my setup.

I dont use any snake oils.

For max yield, new bulbs every bloom cycle, I do mine after two blooms. I am talking 10-30% more, that makes it number one. Two, is vegging in place before bloom, 7-10 days. Properly vegged plants yield up to double for me, here in my world, your results will differ.
H

Oh, and no fucking 8 week crops, 10 weeks is much better on most strains.

This is interesting Haps. How did you figure out that you should change bulbs every bloom cycle?

And when you say "two, vegging in place before bloom, 7-10 days" - you're just saying veg before flower for 7-10 days and that's how you get the most out of a single plant? Could you clarify?

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
And when you say "two, vegging in place before bloom, 7-10 days" - you're just saying veg before flower for 7-10 days and that's how you get the most out of a single plant? Could you clarify?

He's saying that the difference between flowering out a freshly rooted clone and flowering out a clone with 7 to 10 days of vegged root structure is nearly a 100% difference in yield.

whodi

Veteran
veg plants to abotu 16 inches then hang the lights vertical and veg for bout 6 more weeks. THen put veg plants in flower with vertical lightning.

prepetual... 60 day veg while other plants flower for 60 days.. repeat.

good environment
good bulbs
good nute schedule
good pots/containers for appropriate size plants

Thanks for the heads up Hydro-Soil. I wasn't sure that was what he meant.

Well, there seems to be a few themes repeated here:

1. Plant manipulation - Scrog/FIM/topping/LST/Supercropping
2. Extended Vegging Periods of 6-8 weeks
3. Lighting - Good Bulb on the HPS, Inclusion of HID
4. Good Nutes/Proper Nute schedule/Proper PH during plant Cycle
5. Environment - Sterile, Temperate, proper Humidity/C02
6. Pot Size - relative to the dimensions of the plant the pot size should be appropriate

Let's break down #4: What are your good nutes, what are your nute schedules, how did you determine that the nute schedule is the best one you came up with. What makes you think that your particular schedule is the best for your plants?

Furthermore, for those making the effort, why are you manipulating your PH during the plant's flower cycle?

Break it down by weeks if you could.

Marick23

He's saying that the difference between flowering out a freshly rooted clone and flowering out a clone with 7 to 10 days of vegged root structure is nearly a 100% difference in yield.

hey hydro. Would you guys say that 14 to 20 day vegging would increase yield the yield 200%?

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Let's break down #4: What are your good nutes, what are your nute schedules, how did you determine that the nute schedule is the best one you came up with. What makes you think that your particular schedule is the best for your plants?

Furthermore, for those making the effort, why are you manipulating your PH during the plant's flower cycle?

I spent months on this question and, after looking at grow logs and threads for nearly 6 months, I decided to use the Lucas Formula. It had the largest number of success stories coming from newbies and the largest number of medium to expert growers using it. It also had the fewest number of 'possible' deficiency issues of any other formula posted. (Drastically reducing my searching process if I ran into trouble)

Best damn decision I'd ever made.

The only pH manipulation I do with the Lucas formula is between days 20 and 30. I raise the pH to around 6.1 to get rid of the mag deficiency that always shows up. I use only the recommended RO water and 8ml/gal of FloraNova Bloom throughout bloom.

After day 30 I drop it back down to whatever the particular strain prefers. :)

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
hey hydro. Would you guys say that 14 to 20 day vegging would increase yield the yield 200%?
Nah. Nice thought though :)

The difference is there because of the established roots. Once the roots are established the impact of vegging longer is reduced. It will still create a larger harvest, yes, but you have to take the available space into consideration.

Vegging for a loooong time is very beneficial to folks that have to work with reduced plant numbers. If there were not restriction, nearly everyone would be doing some sort of SOG, unless they didn't want to do all the work making the clones. (That's a lot of work peeps don't really think about)

I spent months on this question and, after looking at grow logs and threads for nearly 6 months, I decided to use the Lucas Formula. It had the largest number of success stories coming from newbies and the largest number of medium to expert growers using it. It also had the fewest number of 'possible' deficiency issues of any other formula posted. (Drastically reducing my searching process if I ran into trouble)

Best damn decision I'd ever made.

The only pH manipulation I do with the Lucas formula is between days 20 and 30. I raise the pH to around 6.1 to get rid of the mag deficiency that always shows up. I use only the recommended RO water and 8ml/gal of FloraNova Bloom throughout bloom.

After day 30 I drop it back down to whatever the particular strain prefers. :)

And that is day's 20-30 during Flowering or Vegging? I'm assuming Flowering based on the cal/mag issue you refer to. Is this something people would have to consider growing in soil or coco-coir as well?

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
And that is day's 20-30 during Flowering or Vegging? I'm assuming Flowering based on the cal/mag issue you refer to. Is this something people would have to consider growing in soil or coco-coir as well?
Flower, as you suspected, of course.
It seems that all strains have a demand for extra magnesium during those days. Some not very noticeable, some VERY noticeable.

Yes, you'll see the same thing in coco and soil with the Lucas Formula. Same rule applies in that you need to up the pH. In the case of soil it would be 7 something? (Not sure as I haven't flowered enough in soil yet) The coco acts more like the hydroton/lavarock and would most likely need the 6.1 like hydro.

Flower, as you suspected, of course.
It seems that all strains have a demand for extra magnesium during those days. Some not very noticeable, some VERY noticeable.

Yes, you'll see the same thing in coco and soil with the Lucas Formula. Same rule applies in that you need to up the pH. In the case of soil it would be 7 something? (Not sure as I haven't flowered enough in soil yet) The coco acts more like the hydroton/lavarock and would most likely need the 6.1 like hydro.

Day's 20-30 is the time when I see the first signs of yellowing leaves and rust colored spots appearing which I attribute to cal/mag deficiency.

If you don't add the cal/mag at that time, how much do you feel your harvest is diminished?

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Day's 20-30 is the time when I see the first signs of yellowing leaves and rust colored spots appearing which I attribute to cal/mag deficiency.

If you don't add the cal/mag at that time, how much do you feel your harvest is diminished?
Ummm.... FloraNova Bloom is 4% calcium and 2% magnesium. It has PLENTY to defeat any deficiencies. The issue is that the magnesium is much more available at a pH of 6.0-6.1. Raising your pH for 2 weeks at day 20 will completely eliminate any signs of a deficiency in most strains.

Just put all that Cal/Mag stuff aside when you're using Lucas formula with GH 3-part or the new FloraNova Bloom.

d4twamp

Hydro Soil, are you not using the super natural anymore....I thought you were using that powder stuff...How long ago did you switch to the GH w/ lucas...Good info too, on raising the ph for better mag uptake....

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Hydro Soil, are you not using the super natural anymore....I thought you were using that powder stuff...How long ago did you switch to the GH w/ lucas...Good info too, on raising the ph for better mag uptake....

I think you have me confused with someone else. I've always used the Lucas formula. I've always gone hydro (except my first aborted grow in soil and a couple other aborted starts with soil).

Like I said, I read CW and OG for about 6 months (nearly 18hrs a day) comparing nutrient profiles and what problems people had when using them. Lucas had the easiest to follow steps and awesome results. It also had the fewest people bitching about problems and the problems were pretty much all the same. (Not 100 different possibilities like other nute profiles)

I originally used the GH 3-part. 0-8-16 (G-M-B) but have since switched to FloraNova Bloom after Lucas stated he uses, and prefers, it himself. Simply 8ml/gal of RO water. The only hitch is that day 20-30 in flower that varies depending on your strain and it's fixed with simply raising the pH for a bit.

:)

d4twamp

Hydro-Soil, yes you are right I do have you confused w/ another member, Ooopps, I haven't had any buds to blaze lately, so I need to get my head right, so I can think strait....It sux having all that bud hanging and trying to be patient for it to dry then cure...

I'm considering goin' w/ Lucas' formula too, I'm not saying I don't feel the nutes we are runnin'(H&G) are doing the trick, they are just expensive....

oh btw H-S, 18 hrs. day on the web, for Cannabis research...Yes, I love to see that kind of dedication, to our favorite botanical treasure....

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
oh btw H-S, 18 hrs. day on the web, for Cannabis research...Yes, I love to see that kind of dedication, to our favorite botanical treasure....

I'm an Aspie (Asperger's Syndrome) and it's sort of a fixation with me that was a little outta control for a while there :D. Spent nearly a year and a half researching growing daily and working on my own stuff before I shut down for about 5 years. Now I'm back in the swing and sharing what I've learned.

Loving it!

d4twamp

I'm an Aspie (Asperger's Syndrome) and it's sort of a fixation with me that was a little outta control for a while there :D. Spent nearly a year and a half researching growing daily and working on my own stuff before I shut down for about 5 years. Now I'm back in the swing and sharing what I've learned.

Loving it!

Aspie huh, maybe I've got a hint of that syndrome in me as well...It's a very easy subject, to fixate upon...

and don't we all? Love it that is...

Latest posts

Latest posts