What's new

Molasses ~ When & Why ?

Wildlifer69

:deadhorse Hear alot about using Molasses ~ What are the benifits?

At what point in the plants life do you start using it,& at what rate ?

Does it have to be Molasses,or will any heavy dark sugar work ? :joint:

Thanks

Last edited:

MOneYMiKe

Patriot Father 2a Defender /Breeder
Veteran
Blackstrap molasses,use throughout flowering....add's natural sugars....molasses adds weight and enhances sugars.....someone else will chime in soon,I man not be fully right thou.....just some help...good luck.................Mm

G

I think of blackstrap as organic cal-mag with loads of potassium, and the carbs are there so the plant doesn't have to work so hard to make it's own. I use it as often as I don't forget about it. I think the only time I wouldn't use it is in aero or drippers. It's seriously good stuff.

As for other dark sugar, I don't know; seems like blackstrap is the best and I only want the best so I've never used anything else.

R

Rood Spook

The 3lb's did a most excellent rite up on mollases,its here somewere,They recomend 3 tsp jamaican guano and one tsp mollases per gal of water,said it was just about perfect food.I am using a tsp per gal of water on all my flushing now and am gonna see how that does :rasta:

J

Jack Crevalle

It's really good in gingerbread...

It's primary use is as food for beneficial bacteria, so the beginning of veg and flower would be beneficial IMO. However if you want "sweet" bud like some use it for, why not just add powdered cool-aid, LOL no seriously, don't use it at the end for flavor, that is soo gay :bashhead:

R

Rood Spook

Jack Crevalle said:
It's really good in gingerbread...

However if you want "sweet" bud like some use it for, why not just add powdered cool-aid, LOL no seriously, don't use it at the end for flavor, that is soo gay :bashhead:

LOL,not quite as gay as that statement Jack!!I've seen loads of people swear by it. :bashhead:

Kool-aid?

I'm intrigued...

Here is the Kool-aid ingredient list: CITRIC ACID, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, MALTODEXTRIN, SALT, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF NATURAL FLAVOR, LEMON JUICE SOLIDS, ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C), ARTIFICIAL COLOR, YELLOW 5 LAKE, YELLOW 5, BHA.

... and you add the sugar (sweetener) yourself. I've heard of people feeding their plants sugar water. What's the benefit of Kool-aid? Maltodextrin is a polysaccharide, so I want to hear some kool theories! :muahaha:

slappyjack

A bit off topic, but if you buy a bunch of molasses and don't like it for some reason.. Make this with it.

Flo's Special Hot Dog Relish
http://www.recipezaar.com/218607

I made some last night and put it on a cheddarwurst dog. It was easily the best hot dog I've ever tasted, and maybe the best flavor I've ever tasted in my entire life. It's practically orgasmic.

inflorescence

Veteran
Since it's basically sugar with a lot of potassium, etc why wouldn't ANTS wants to seek out a soiless mix bathed in this stuff?

I'm sure if I left it out in a dish ants would be all over it so why don't they invade when poured into a sponge like substance like a soiless peat mix?

Saibai

栽培して収穫しましょう!
Veteran
inflorescence said:
Since it's basically sugar with a lot of potassium, etc why wouldn't ANTS wants to seek out a soiless mix bathed in this stuff?

I'm sure if I left it out in a dish ants would be all over it so why don't they invade when poured into a sponge like substance like a soiless peat mix?

I know, thats what I thought!
After having left my container of molasses at my grow site for a couple of months, with molasses all over the outside, I can tell you that ants do not like it. I think the 3lb mention it can actually deter them...

ps. I found out that using molasses in veg is pretty much a waste of time, except maybe once at the start to kickstart some microbes.

I'd like to chime in with mollasses question if I may.....When mollasses is added to the water, does it need to be heated of any sorts? I know mollasses is kind of thick, but i don't know how it would seperate in water..Do I just add it straight out of the jar(too the gallon of water)?.....Thanks.....Wedgey

Last edited:

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Never, because it is sticky messy shit, and it will draw bugs or something with bugs on it.
H

Wildlifer69

Wedge Antilles said:
I'd like to chime in with mollasses question if I may.....When mollasses is added to the water, does it need to be heated of any sorts? I know mollasses is kind of thick, but i don't know how it would seperate in water..Do I just add it straight out of the jar(too the gallon of water)?.....Thanks.....Wedgey
I just tried it today ~ Added it straight from the bottle(1tps per Gal.) & shook the hell out of it, dissolved just fine!Wasn't sticky or messy at all . :joint: :dance:

Last edited:

bakelite

This is a good thread guys. I like to see this in the main growers forum. In addition to Potassium, molasses is a good source of Calcium, Magnesium and Iron which is always a good thing. Just a suggestion, you may want to consider picking up some Blackstrap Molasses as it has higher amounts of Calcium (10X), Magnesium (5X) and Iron (~5X) versus regular Molasses. Either way, you can’t really lose though.
-bakelite

Latest posts

Latest posts