What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lowryder #2 - Soil

King llama

Hi all,

7 days into my first grow and every thing is not dead. :jump:

In case you didn't guess from the title I am growing Lowryder 2.

I germinated 9 seeds (lost the 10th on the floor like a spanner) in jiffy pellets. I drained the pellets until they were just moist and then fluffed up the soil by rolling them in my hands. I planted the seeds about 2mm deep and they lived in a home made propagator on top of my PC, which luckily is a steady 25C.

2 days later and all 9 seeds had emerged and grown about 3cm. I was chuffed to see 100% germination rates but now have rather move plants than my light can handle. Oh well I can deal with them until sexing (at around 20 days) and if there are a lot of females I'll buy some more damn lights.

I now have them directly under a 200w vegging CFL in Biobuzz allmix soil. They are on an 18/6 light pattern and everything is green and healthy, hopefully it'll stay that way throughout.

Take it easy,
Llama

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Those seedlings look great :D I'm pretty much at the same stage as you - I've just germed some beans and they're under my 200W cfl at the moment.

Your seedlings look great so far, keep up the good work. If you have any questions just ask! :wave:

King llama

Hello again,

I'm a bit worried about stunting the growth of my plants as I have heard that lowryder although a dwarf plant, has a pretty extensive root system. I was planning on growing the plants in their current containers until sexing and then transplanting the females to 1-2 gal pots. Now I'm not so sure, I don't want to be growing 5g of pot on a stick.

Any ideas?

Take it easy,

Llama

Hey king I've grown a bunch of LRs. What you want to do is transplant as soon as you can do not wait for sex. LRs have such a short cycle that everyday counts. If you sex them in the small containers they'll be stunted.

SmokeAflower

any updates man , i am very intersted in your growing , i am too growing lr2 , i got 3 females from 10 . 100% germination too.

King llama

Sorry about the lack of updates, I'm really busy with work at the moment. I was thinking of transplanting into 2 litre light proofed cola bottles to save on floor space. Then when they out grow those I can just cut off the bottom of the bottle and place it in the new pot.

Everything is still healthy and green and the plants have just got their second set of true leaves. I will be doing the transplant and a photo update tomorrow. Thanks again for the help.

Take it easy,

Llama

SmokeAflower

you can look at my pics , its my lr #2 , 3 females about 25-28 days from sprout .
(sorry for bad quality pics its made with phone camera , i crashed my camera several days ago ,anyway my fault.. ) :)) , there is of them in about ~ 3 litre pot , and two of them in 5 litre pots .
Come On man let see some updates from you , i mean some new pics ;) how old exactly your buddies now ?

Last edited:

King llama

Tried to transplant them this evening, total FUBAR, whoops. I should be banned from gardening. Not sure if any of them will make it but if they do I will post pictures. Sorry I'm just ****ed off with the whole thing right now.

Last edited:

Yellowmoon

Here's following this one. dude, don't lose all hope yet, them cannabis plants have surprised us plenty of times.... :redface: Hopefully they make it.

Personally I'm a big hater of transplanting and I like to start all plants in their final destinations, normally in 2,5gal buckets which is enough.. this was not directed at you, lowryders are a different story...

Grew some lowryder #2 outdoors last summer. They were a pleasant and happy smoke w/ amazing aroma.

Last edited:

King llama

Cheers mate, It’s nice to hear some words of encouragement as I was about ready to chuck all my grow stuff in the bin. :bashhead:
I'm just really disappointed, as even though it was my first go, I wasn't expecting to suck this much at it. The plants had been growing really well up until now.

I will avoid transplanting like the plague in future, believe me. If I do end up loosing them (I’m pretty certain I will) I'll probably be ordering some Northern Lights and starting them in their final pot as you recommended.

Take it easy,

Llama

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've never had transplant problems, can explain to use what happened KL? some pics would be good too. I hope they're alright :wave:

King llama

Main problem was that on the first go I realised that the 2 litre bottles were just too small to take the soil from the old pots. I made the tops of the bottles a little bigger and carried on. Hard to describe how things went wrong after that really...... mainly being a clumsy fool I think :badday:

I have taken some pictures today and tried to upload them but the forum is spacking out at the mo, I just end up with a blank picture. As soon as it's working again they will be up.

Plants are showing no obvious signs of stress as yet. The sad thing is that they were not even close to root bound in their current pots and I think could have stayed in them until sexing. This would obviously have allowed me to get rid of the males and have more room for bigger pots, making the transplant much easier. Oh well, that'll learn me.

Take it easy,
Llama

Last edited:

King llama

Pictures now working, this is day 15 under lights. :redface:

Transplanted 1 day ago, not showing any signs of stress yet.

Didn't transplant my best plant as I was scared of spannering it.

Another view.

Take it easy,

Llama

I'm assuming your not in the US, so I don't know if you have a walmart by you. They sell superthrive in their garden section. I use it when I transplant and it works great. It should be around $5-$7.

good luck with your grow mate. ill be watching this one, so make sure u update. been considering switching to cfls recently and today i decided to invest in two 200 watt (red and blue) envirolites.

my mate grew lowryder 2 crossed with cheese and got pretty good results.

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Supacalabala said:
I'm assuming your not in the US, so I don't know if you have a walmart by you. They sell superthrive in their garden section. I use it when I transplant and it works great. It should be around $5-$7.

Good advice. A great stress reliever for transplanted plants. Easy does it though!

Flashback to first grow:

"Oh no, my blueberry isn't doing well since transplant."
*Lobs in a load of superthrive*
"holy twisted leaves and mutantness!"

King llama

Don't worry I'll keep updating as long as my plants are alive, to my great suprise the repotted plants have recovered well. They showed yellowing on new growth for about 24 hours and now they are back to their lush and green state! GO GREEN RANGER GO!! The plants should show their sex within the next couple of days so I shall keep you updated.

Thanks for stopping by people, sorry for the Power Rangers reference.

Take it easy,

Llama.

P.S. No I'm not in the US, so no Wallmart, we have ASDA though. Sammet/Supacalabala Is superthrive just a rooting hormone?

London_Grower I have nothing to compare it to but so far I'm more than happy with my 200Watt blue spectrum envirolight :redface: I have a 250Watt flowering bulb ready to go.

Sammet said:
"Oh no, my blueberry isn't doing well since transplant."
*Lobs in a load of superthrive*
"holy twisted leaves and mutantness!"

Lol so true.

King superthrive contains vitamins and hormones. I'd compare to an energy drink but for plants. I use one drop per cup of water maybe sometimes 2.

King llama

Supacalabala said:
I'd compare to an energy drink but for plants. I use one drop per cup of water maybe sometimes 2.

Well energy drinks have saved my life and academic studies on more than one occasion, got to be good for the plants! I shall haul ass down to the grow shop tomorrow and see what they have on offer.