What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tales of a guerilla

Very nice buds mate, well done :good:

Yeah they were from 2015, the pink was a pretty plant to grow, was an early finsher too, mid march was ready. The other was a thai sativa I think, super frosty and smoother than than pink, finishing late april-early may. Lost the genetics of both during a big move.

Ah well...

On to bigger and better. Really looking forward to running some Malawi genetics next season, plus whatever beans I can make with my cs pollen chucking.

Its a lot work though man, guerilla style? Not for everyone, that's the truth. To me its basically exercise, extreme gardening. I am motivated by the situation that is caused by unjust laws where gangs control most of drug trade. They control quality, or lack of. They control supply, so when they're 'out' you're out. There is next to no selection for the majority of kiwi's, you get what you're given.
This situation, in my humble opinion, gives "them" far too much power. Guerrilla growing is my reaction. I don't talk about it to most that know me, most don't even know I smoke. But I'm an action person, talk is cheap. The things we want in life don't just come to us, you gotta go out and get it, ya know?
Just blazed and talking shit.

Anyways, its a waiting game again.

A good guerilla grower should be constantly checking weather forecast during late flower, harvest window. There is some rain forecast for the weekend and I'm thinking that I'll harvest the autos from the auto spot. I've had to cut out a few small bits of budrot already and even though I'd like to leave it to mature, I'd prefer to keep them dry and clean. Will likely leave lower branches to mature anyway annnnd there are a few more at the hillside spot that are slightly behind the autospot which Ill leave and should be ready in the near future.

Clones should be ready for transplant in the next few days, then the cs spraying commences.

Have started gathering materials for drying locations. They will go up late March.

Its getting real now, harvest is approaching and always a tense time for me. I hear every helicopter, siren, voices... ;) jk

Stay cool til after school...

rod58

yeah , very colourful buds mate . i hear you mate , its not for everyone and its seems there's less and less of us every year . i've thought many times of going indoor , and i did for a couple of years , but its not for me , paranoia for one and just being out in the bush with your plants at 4.30 am is something you can't explain to anyone who hasn't done it !
but ..there's always next year and i can honestly say that after more than 40 years of it i win more than i lose ..wish you well for next year .
oh , and keep us posted with the CS thing , i'm at about 10-14 days now ..fuck all yet !

CS flowers - pollen catching attempt

CS flowers - pollen catching attempt

So we have a female branch that has been reversed and has male flowers. This small branch is in a glass of water with a bit of plastic to catch the pollen as it falls.
While trying to gently shake pollen from the flowers, they started falling off, no pollen that I could see, just flowers...

picture.php

I cant see any visible pollen but I decided Id keep the flowers just in case. I'll continue waiting to see if this branch produces any viable pollen. Failing that, Ill be hoping that some self pollination occurs naturally with the other reversed branches that I left on the plant.

In other CS news...

picture.php

The 16/24 rooted clones transplanted... Not bad success rate but definitely room for improvement. I took more than I needed to account for losses.
CS is loaded and ready to commence spraying.
I decided to give the plants the weekend to settle in before I start with the cs. There are 4 strains in this batch and I plan to spray one of each, selecting the healthiest candidate.
Naturally there were a couple of safety breaks in there too :joint:

rod58

well hopefully the CS works for you ..i've finished spraying and nothing has happened so next year i'll do the same as you and make my own ..obviously 30ppm is not enough !
would you be better of putting those male bits in a paper bag matt ? just think maybe they'll dry better and possibly open ..i think i read somewhere that you need to individually open the pollen sacks ..
how long did you spray for before male flowers appeared ? cheers .

Yeah I think you'll see better results with a slightly stronger solution.
I think I sprayed a total of 4 times, flowers showed after about 3 weeks.
Only 1 of the plants I sprayed produced male flowers.

You might be on to something with the paper bags though. That was the first pollen collection attempt, I'm hoping for a better effort the next time around and will use a paper bag to reduce risk of mould etc and aide the drying process.

I've heard of people opening flowers to get pollen, a lot of those attempts were unsuccessful though. I figured I'd just rub/sprinkle the flowers into any budsites im trying to pollinate and if it works then great.

As far as the clones breeding project, I'm worried it might be a bit too late to reverse, produce viable pollen, pollinate and produce fully mature seeds. I think I would've been better off using the last round of clones that ended up as minis on the hillside.

rod58

yeah its always difficult getting things right first time around .....next year ! lol

The path of natural selection.

The path of natural selection.

Who could've guessed that from a 10 pack of Heavy weight's Fast N Vast autofems, the resulting plants could all have such different paths and outcomes.

These beans were all popped at the same time, mid December.

So we have these at the hillside spot...

picture.php

picture.php

All looking a bit slim, a bit of leaf fade, little purple, hopefully still ok in 3ish weeks, weather dependent.

And then there's these at the auto spot...

picture.php

picture.php

then there's even this girl with balls!

picture.php

Then there's the random one that popped up later at the auto spot, pretty sure it was one of the 4 that didn't germ at first and was just thrown into the soil mix I threw down around this spot. She will be a main target for pollen as she becomes ready.

Some thoughts up to this point...

Obviously environment plays a huge factor in the growth of these plants, we already knew that. What I learned this year is that soil has a huge effect on plant growth, more so than say direct sunlight. It doesnt matter how much sun the plant has if it doesn't have the nutrients readily accessible.

However this says nothing about the plants ability to resist mould though, as that increased sunlight could make all the difference in preventing "mouldy" conditions later in the life cycle.

The plants are into at least the 10th week, 2 weeks more than the time they say it will take and their still not ready. Smokeable? sure, ready? I'll let you be the judge.

Either way it's taught me alot about how this strain likes to grow and hopefully I can get some of these healthier ones pregnant.

Yee Haww...

Hillside drying service

Hillside drying service

After a few complaints about smell from the very small amount I've harvested for smoke. I've put in a bit of time putting up a couple of dry spots so I have locations close by the plants for drying. No smell issues at home.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Not the best execution in this one of Im honest.
My head really wasn't in it. It will work, but some things I can see that could cause issues. First time spots with no real idea of security... spend $ in uncertain conditions?...

It's still an improvement on my last effort. Apart from not having the right equipment ie. green/camo/dark tarp, I think the difficulty comes in finding a suitable area in the locations that I grow in. If it was in the middle of the bush I could just find a couple of trees and hack out the space between them.

I have a mini version of the idea executed better near the auto spot, I'll try and get a pic of it.

If I was as anal about other things as I was about my growing skills I think I'd be more productive and successful at life in general.It is what it is I guess...

Anyway, another task on the to do list slowing being done. Probably got another 3 dry spots to set up. Might end up hanging plants in trees :laughing: Ive heard of people doing that. Ill at least string them up somewhere, they may not all get covered though. :dunno:

Strain reviews

Strain reviews

So I thought Id use the thread to record some of my thoughts about the growth characteristics of a couple of the strains that Im growing.

The strains I'd like to mention today are Frisian Dew and Black Russian. Both strains seem more indica dominant (big leaves, short).

FD

Genetics Super Skunk x Purple Star
Type 50% Indica / 50% Sativa
Flowering Time 7.5 Weeks
Yield Very High
Grows Outdoors

picture.php

picture.php

BR

Genetics Black Domina x White Russian
Type 80% Indica / 20% Sativa
Flowering Time 50-55 Days
Harvest Month Mid September
THC Content 24%
Yield Indoor: 450 gr/m2 Outdoor: 500 gr/m2
Taste Sweet Fruit
Effect Relaxing, Long Lasting
Grows Indoors/Outdoors
Resistance To Mold Medium
Pest Resistance Medium

picture.php

picture.php

Of all the strains I'm growing these are my favorites for growth characteristics. Obviously this may change based on the finish but I am planning to attempt pollinating these strains for future projects.

I've been doing some reading and trying to figure out where I'm going to get the "punch" for whatever I do with breeding, as far as I've researched, none of the strains I am growing are known for being particularly strong, so I'm looking for desirable traits in other things like vigor, yield and taste/smell. Hopefully I should be able to add that in later on when I find something suitable, Malawi maybe.

Nuff for now...
Peace

gorilla ganja

Plants are looking nice and healthy. Dry spot blends in well too, good job, unless someone stumbles right into it.

Cheers GG

Plants are looking nice and healthy. Dry spot blends in well too, good job, unless someone stumbles right into it.
Thanks for the comment GG, yeah the green tent fly is better blended than say the bright blue tarp I had otherwise. The tarp would actually function better than the tent fly im using but it'd stand out like a mother... meh... I only need it there for... shit... its at least 6 weeks till majority is ready, could be another 2-3 weeks drying.
Think I'm gonna take the fly/cover off until harvest. I want this spot completely unnoticed between now and harvest, especially those crucial weeks of drying.
It shouldn't take long to take the fly off and I will leave up the supporting/dry ropes up as they're pretty much invisible.
There has been a bit of wind and rain, nothing too extreme, since it was put up so it'll be good to see how it holds up in the weather.
Thanks again GG

What do you think about the autos vs regular seeds in your hemisphere?

Don't think I could speak for the hemisphere but as far as what I've experienced with autos, seeds are expensive, they are earlier flowering, usually smaller plants. The smoke I've had from autos has been OK. Alot of my friends would still love to smoke OK, but Im a wannabe cannaseur...:laughing:
I think I've heard it said before that autos have their place and I'll always have a little place, but not the main garden, maybe just a small field, or a local hillside ;)

Regular photoperiod plants can grow trees, I love trees, I wanna grow trees, I just haven't found the right place, or strain, to do it yet. With the low/no maintenance grows its not likely to be too big, big plants need lots of water. I try not to water at all... for security reasons... trails...

Anyway... both grow pretty well in this part of the hemisphere. Hope that answers your question

Went to go take the fly down and found it in not too bad condition after the weather.

picture.php

Apart from the supporting ropes sagging a bit I think it worked pretty well. So I took the fly off, tightened up the support rope and left it like this.

picture.php

Pretty sure this will be secure for a few weeks until I need it.

Also couldn't resist a quick visit to the bait plot.

picture.php

Frisian Dew definitely my favorite at the moment. Looks like the further-est along and looking good for an an April finish.

picture.php

picture.php

...MB...

Its funny cos I wouldn't put this thread in the outdoor section because these plants are pretty average in comparison to the plants in there.
In this part of the forum I feel relatively... guerrilla... so my little girls may not get centre stage like they deserve but they are still doing their thing.

Like this little mini on the hillside looking a little worse for wear.

picture.php

I think its just under watering from the last fine spell we had. Still trying to push out some flowers though.

picture.php

Its a bittersweet comment to say that the bait plot probably has the best plants I've grown this season, I say probably because there are spots I haven't seen since putting them in. But its doubtful judging by their environment.

Anyway... back to the bait

PC is looking like shit, don't think I'll grow this guerrilla again. It seems like a hungry plant that would grow in a hurry if tended though. It was actually one of, if not the most vigorous growing strain while being watered as a seedling. Regardless of its current condition its maybe 2 weeks into flower and will produce something. If at the end the smoke is awesome I'll probably reassess, may just need to pop them late as minis.

picture.php

MM still looking green and healthy, 2 weeks or so into flower. What makes this plant cooler is that I super cropped the hell out of both of its main branches when it was young.

picture.php

TD has begun stretching by the looks of it and getting ready for flower. This is the most sativa strain I have going this season, Id love to get some good sativas going eventually, but those big bitches are a bit harder to find space for and with a shorter season where I am I worry about them not finishing. This strain was really finicky at the start, germination was dodgy, seedlings were mutant runts. I have since read that this is common with TD. Looking pretty good now though, got a few cuts of it for the CS project.

picture.php

"Sayonara" - Ninja...

Brother Nature

This is so awesome MattSki, you're really on to something nice there bro, hope it all works out for you.

Hope the rains haven't hit you too hard, we've had a weird kind of season up further north. Hopefully the BOP stays true to it's name.

:tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts