What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Thai

Kangativa

Veteran
Funny how a Thai thread can turn to Africans:bump:

As long as it is about plants, thats what counts

Here is a pic of the Malawi I grew, sorry about the quality of the pic.

Malawi Gold

picture.php

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
Having worked in Tully, FNQ, but never grown there I find these long flowering sativas interesting. The wet season...the dry season.

Such a different climate to what I am currently used to. I live in the Victorian alps, snow in winter...bushfires in summer.

Short grow season....indica.

Ah yes, the cerebral rush of a sativa is one thing I will experience again one day.

KITCHA

Veteran
Ok back on topic sorry kanga : ) I grabbed some ace double Thai and viet black x Thai after taking a trip down memory lane last week smoking some nice Thai, it doesnt look pretty but dam that high is quality and has legs that's for sure. How would you describe the taste on the you found in gypsys Thai and the mm Kanga? Cheers kit.

Kangativa

Veteran
Hi there HC......I must say I have smoke more Indica this year than I have my whole life.
I remember the Indica that I got from some Italians in the mid 80's that live not to far from you and it was excellent.....wish I still had it as a pure strain.
But even though I liked some of the Indicas i tried I still go back to the pure Sats.....just cant beat the cerebral high:laughing:

Hi Kitcha...No worries mate, I enjoy reading about other strains, mainly landraces of course:dance013:
The Thai has I believe a sort of fuely smell, taste, quite unique and very strong....its very hard to go back to my younger days and try and remember the Thai sticks and their smell/taste....to many drugs inbetween:)
With the MM it has more of an earthy smell,taste when fully matured, but you can definetly smell that undertone of Thai in it.

JKD

Veteran
Thanks Dave and Kangativa. I'll be picking these up soon for a future grow.

JKD

Leeroy&Co:

The potency sounds awesome man, I'm diggin' these landrace strains, if only i had the time and space, until then, i shall live vicariously stalking and peeping in :p

Kangativa

Veteran
The potency sounds awesome man, I'm diggin' these landrace strains, if only i had the time and space, until then, i shall live vicariously stalking and peeping in :p

Hi Leeroy.....I am like u mate, just luv doing these landraces.
This year I have Kariba Surprise, Thai, Parvati, Oaxacan if u call it a landrace and 2 Mazars, 1 from the Real Seed Company and the other from Shanti.
Those should keep me busy:jump:

ahortator

Veteran
Hi everybody.

Hello Kangativa. I see that you are very busy keeping and breeding all those landraces. It is a hard task but a very enjoyable experience.

I know that this strain can grow into huge monsters and for that mission you are the record breaker :bump:

But, is a full grown Thai a big yielder?

The buds are very thin and sparse, but in a 20' tall plant, what yield can offer?

Best regards :gday:

Kangativa

Veteran
Hi everybody.

Hello Kangativa. I see that you are very busy keeping and breeding all those landraces. It is a hard task but a very enjoyable experience.

I know that this strain can grow into huge monsters and for that mission you are the record breaker :bump:

But, is a full grown Thai a big yielder?

The buds are very thin and sparse, but in a 20' tall plant, what yield can offer?

Best regards :gday:

Hi Ahortator....Thanks my friend.
Yes it is a difficult task, especially when the weather is against you as was with the Africans last season.
No a full blown Thai is not a big yielder and really the only reason you would grow them is because you love it or you are after that super female for your own personal stash, I suppose I could include making crosses, but I think that will be a lot of hard work for somebody that doesnt have the time and space as you definetly need these plants to go to full maturation to know its potential before you do the cross.
As I said before I am going to work on Mazar males crossed to that Thai and in my opinion that will take about 3 years before I get the result I am after due to the long flowering time of the Thai and minimum yield.
But it is all worth it in the long run:dance013:

Stay well....K:gday:

shroomyshroom

Doing what we do because we are who we are
Veteran
Funny how a Thai thread can turn to Africans:bump:

As long as it is about plants, thats what counts

Here is a pic of the Malawi I grew, sorry about the quality of the pic.

Malawi Gold

picture.php

Easy tiger... I am an Afrikaner born Australian raised we are all right in the long run :) I just got back today from my trip over SA and saw some amazing DB grows indoors and out :) the plants were smaller than yours though... wish i had the stones to bring back some of the seeds people gave me.. i had you and bush in mind when i was collecting them

Kangativa

Veteran
Privet R G 59.....Kak dela ???

Very nice looking Thai's, bet you would have problems with those outside where you are:)

So how is the high and taste ???

Stay well....K

Kangativa

Veteran
Easy tiger... I am an Afrikaner born Australian raised we are all right in the long run :) I just got back today from my trip over SA and saw some amazing DB grows indoors and out :) the plants were smaller than yours though... wish i had the stones to bring back some of the seeds people gave me.. i had you and bush in mind when i was collecting them

Hi ya Shroomy.....Yeah mate I remember.....lol

Hey next time you go let me know I might tag along as I like customs:laughing:

So did you find anything you thought was really special ???
I have so many DP seeds here that I must get around to trying them one day, but I am not going to do all the Africans again until I am sure we are going to have a very dry season.
Good growing mate...K

shroomyshroom

Doing what we do because we are who we are
Veteran
lol customs has a field day with my arse due something that happened many many years ago... i was so hung over at the time as well... lol
only plants i saw were the DB's in Durban and some unknown indoor hydro stuff which my old man seemed to like alot... over there its so cheap chips a gram of hydro bought in a single only cost $5 Australian but it was through family so thats to be expected :)

Im pretty sure its ment to be a dry season this year mate well thats what all the old timers keep telling me... busting my nuts to get my water catchments done

keep safe mate

P.s which bank are your DB from ?

Kangativa

Veteran
lol customs has a field day with my arse due something that happened many many years ago... i was so hung over at the time as well... lol
only plants i saw were the DB's in Durban and some unknown indoor hydro stuff which my old man seemed to like alot... over there its so cheap chips a gram of hydro bought in a single only cost $5 Australian but it was through family so thats to be expected :)

Im pretty sure its ment to be a dry season this year mate well thats what all the old timers keep telling me... busting my nuts to get my water catchments done

keep safe mate

P.s which bank are your DB from ?

Lol trust Bushy to pick up on something like that.

The only ones I have from a seed bank are from Afropips's old stock, the rest are gifts.

Jeez i dont even want to know what happened in customs....lol

So far mate we are having a great start coming into spring, with our first storms coming through. I think you might be right we could see a perfect finish this year:jump:

Back to the Thai's....Today I just recieved some seeds that have been in the same family for 2 generations and were grown amongst the Hmong Tribe in Northern Thailand, as you can guess they are soaking right now:dance013:
Cant wait to see how these go.

bushweed

Veteran
Back to the Thai's....Today I just recieved some seeds that have been in the same family for 2 generations and were grown amongst the Hmong Tribe in Northern Thailand, as you can guess they are soaking right now:dance013:
Cant wait to see how these go.

Looking forward to seeing that, and hearing the story of such an exotic acquisition.:smoke out:
Hmong eh? Was it two generations of a Hmong family who grew them? Just that it seems an unremarkable length of time - perhaps they got it in Holland in the early 80s :D

Anyway be good if it gets you Hmongoloid:smokeit:

yoss33

Veteran
The m0ng00se story was very interesting, and especially this part:
It is generally accepted that the true Thai Stick strain is now extinct. The Mr Asia syndicate was buying all that could be produced and it is said that they were the ones who introduced Pakistani indica genetics to the growers. It was said that real Thai Stick took nine months to grow and mature so they crossed it with hash plant to get two or even three crops per season instead of one.​
I'm currently growing a Thai strain (Sativa Seedbank's Full Moon) which according to the description was found on a Thai island and is "totally tropical", "trippy, almost spooky visual high".... BUT as I grow it, it has very fat fan leaves (with overlapping leaflets) that look very much like a hash plant leaves. Otherwise it has the sweet smell, size and branching of a Thai. Sativa Seedbank didn't cross it with anything, so I was wondering when did these paki genes get into the Thais. M0ng00se's story made this clear.

bushweed

Veteran
Sativa Seedbank didn't cross it with anything, so I was wondering when did these paki genes get into the Thais. M0ng00se's story made this clear.

I think this trend began roughly in 1980...but pure sats can have some broadness of leaf early on, here is a Gypsy Nirvana Thai Stick sapling grown by Kangativa...definitely a thin leafed variety
picture.php

and this shot I kid you not is about half way into the plants life
picture.php

these plants went nine months and a few weeks mostly...that bloke there by the way, Nevil Schoenmakers hailing the tree, "I love you cannabis sativa."

picture.php