What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ak-47 Vs. Ak-48

G

Ancient1 The ak48 from Nirvana that I have just finished started to really oil up the last few weeks! The ninth week after all other strains removed I let the ak keep going as , I was hopeing to see it start dripping! To be honest with U, I found the strain to be really easy to work with and even better couch lock!

ancient1

Mothra I have noticed that the bottom of the buds is particularly resinous. I will gently cup them in my hands with my fingers at the bottom and when I pull my hand away my fingers are wonderfully sticky. They also smell very nice. I love how on my biggest colas the lower branches on each main stalk are rising up to meet the main stalk and joining with it making one big fat cola.

So nine weeks huh? If my buds continue to put on weight the way they are doing right now, at 60+ days they are goin to be huge. I am checking the trichs once a week for maturity and it's pretty interseting how they develope. I noticed in early growth that all leaves have small clear nodules on the leaf surface. It appears to me (and I may be wrong) that these are the origin of the trichs. As a plants matures these nodules increase in number, grow out on stalks and become what we know as trichomes.

On a side note, does anyone other than me have this problem when checking the trichomes. I'll have a nice mellow buzz on and put a small sample on a white card. I turn on my radio shack special, put it on the sample and if I don't have it centered just right it disappears. I look all over the table for it only to find it stuck to the microscope. Then you try to move the scope around to get a better view of the trichs and again it gets stuck to the damn thing. I can't tell you the number of times this happens to me when I check these things stoned. It's a comedy of errors and I wouldn't change it for anything.

G

ancient1! MAn, I now feel like not much of a grower! Actually, just a closet grow novice. I can say with shame that having done both hydro and soil, I Have Never Checked trough a microscope to see them little buggers. And Have always been happy with the results.
If it smells good looks good ,sticky and not milky and I am ready to do another project, then they are comming out!
Some times tastier more potent here and there with less potent buds here or there. But hey m8 Its all Good. I once read how picking at diff times gives U diff heads. Sorry to miss the mark. Perhaps one day I will look at the glorious trichs with a scope. :} This was the ak48 I just finished.
Keep up the good work and dont let to much that oil rub off on the hands m8:}

ancient1

Mothra we have a tendency to over analyse our grows. Herb has been growing for millions of years without our help so I'm not sure what all my efforts gain me. You are probably right - if it's stinky and sticky it's probably just fine.

chuckyoufarley

Veteran
sup ancient1 mine got the knife early(56 days) had to make room but they turned out nice been puffin that while the grape punch sits in the jar

Dr Watt

Who What
Cashcrop, yeh I'd go with the Serious Seeds AK-47. As v1ru5 points out there are less keepers per pack with F2's which are AK47 inbred to make AK48's.

I've germinated 32 AK48's recently. I got 18 females. Kept all of em and first crop evaluation was mainly on earlier bloom and yield.

I kept 6 mothers on yield from first 8 week crop. Overall 1 in 3 plants were better / worthwhile.

1 plant was terrible low quality hemp plant - leafy with grassy/hemp smell.

Maturation : 3 plants were 10 weeks or more. 3 to 5 plants 8 weeks. 1 plant you could crop at 7 weeks.

Yield : good - this stuff looks like some kind of Big Bud variety.

Odor : variable - I'd say 7 to 8 > medium smelly.

I'd say it is a 9 week variety because it is a milder smoke - no way a 'one hit wonder'. Whilst the resin is huge at 7 weeks and the AK48 weighs up very well - you need to bud longer to maximise potency.

But budding longer doesn't always give you more potency - varieties can have inherent limits to their potency. The variety has good resin size at 8 weeks and so maybe a good cure would deliver same potency as blooming for 9 weeks.

G

yeppers

yeppers

ancient1 said:
Mothra we have a tendency to over analyse our grows. Herb has been growing for millions of years without our help so I'm not sure what all my efforts gain me. You are probably right - if it's stinky and sticky it's probably just fine.
I agree with U whole heartedly sir ! But hey m8 What else is alot pf estra care and spare time supposed to be used for? Growing Even Better weed ! Peace

Dr Watt

Who What
Overall, I'm pretty impressed with the AK48. All seeds performed well except for one hemp. Maybe 1/3 had more Sativa which lowered yield from these plants because the bud is lighter. These more Sativa need 10 weeks. I think 2 could be cropped at 7 weeks and the remainder need 8-9 weeks. IMO these are pretty good maturation times.

The elusive Cherry pheno. Well, I reckon I've found it in a few individuals. Maybe not as pronounced flavor as some reports indicated - but certainly a floral taste that is crisp enough to seem cherry.

Rotting meat pheno. Yep, about 1/2 had this smell. As an example, one plant has retained this smell dried, good for bag appeal, it tastes more of floral undertone.

The smoke is medium good IMO. The stone comes on good - not panicky or rushy - and wears off without headache or other pains in 2 hours. So the stone is a little short lived but this has benefits - like being able to get stoned and recover for other activities. The quality of taste and high will improve will cure.

Yield - they really bud up way down on the plant - upper buds keep growing until they are gigantum - even without CO2.

In summary, the AK48 does deliver as a high yielding, medium potency, easy blooming plant :woohoo:

Dr Watt

Who What
AK48 also prunes very easily. After the large shade leaves these plants have little leaf - once dry these few bud leaves are easy to remove - so you can almost 'throw those manicuring scissors away'

:kos:

Last edited:
G

Hi Johnstreet, I apreciate your report. I believe you are quite accurate as I grew out the Nirviana ak-47 before the name change. I too am still looking for that elusive cherry pheno. and only got a medium high. I had about five or six females and they were all about the same, not much variation in apperance or smokeability. Thanks again.

Dr Watt

Who What
Potency and taste have improved now the magical 4 to 6 weeks has passed since cropping. This may mean that you could pull about half of them at 8 weeks - I'm still leaving mine go for 9 to ensure potency is there to back up the weight.

:joint:

G

johnstreet: You may have got some cherry-like phenos but ..

(was about to say that i've read that the cherry pheno is very rare)

.. whatever is cherry pheno to you.. ;)

nirvana seeds? if your talkin about the whitestrains(wich is where my growing experience come from) then you are talkin about quality buds...i had a chance to grow out blue mystic, bubliscious, papaya, chrystal and aurora indica...all amazing smoke...my favorites are bubliscious and chrystal...amazing buds came from that, so did amazing melty hashish...heres some shots of nirvana buds

nirvana freakin chrystal OoOO Weee

KGB47

"It's just a flesh wound"
Veteran
cashcrop said:
Hey thanks for all of your opinions. My main concern was which AK was better. I think i'll go with the serious seeds just to be on the safe side. I'm definitly going to try Nirvans White Rhino. U've heard tons of good stuff about it. Hey zepplin, was Blue Mystic relatively easy to grow? Any blues or purples in the finished product?
later all

Two of the Nirvana's White Rhinos. Grow them out, you won't be disappointed, I'm not.

Dr Watt

Who What
Yeh, getting to .75 and the last drop went 10 weeks :yoinks: They'll have to be 1g/w there. As for potency it is medium strong and rates well. It loves screening where upper bud gigantum nature can take hold.

Thinking about how many seeds you need to germinate. Well my #4 and #5 were excellent so in 10 seeds there were 2 keepers. Following that was #11, #18, #27, #28 and #16 still to be evaluated but was the biggest yielder from seed. I had 18 females and prefered 6-9 - excellent.

:joint:

Dr Watt

Who What
They are from different AK48 crops but you get the idea. I scanned film photos and here they are - apologies for quality.

32 AK48 Seedlings - great germination rate - only 2 failed.

Got 18 Females to choose from.

Producing good buds without any CO2 and under minimal watts/ft. I do use Ozi Tonic - which is a flowering additive with some P&K.

But these plants give BigBud results anyways.

G

I gro apollo 11, sweettooth, trainwreck, Nl x kush, and nirvana white rhino... i gotta say the nirvana white rhino is my all time favorite. Anyone who says nirvana seeds are substandard is full of shit, IMO. Ive grown nirvana's Rhino, Widow, ICE, and bubblicious... all top notch strains.

G

those white rhino plants are awesome KGB, I have the pheno on the right and it is a beast with its side branching...

i'm currently growing the AK48 and the plant just won't stop stretching, its started to bud like the last week but we're 5 weeks in and not much bud so i think i've got the 10 week pheno...i've heard from others that the high is crippling so maybe u have to go all 10 weeks or it won't be as strong? also is the sativa pheno still an indica high? this plant i have is just not indica at all the leaves are real skinny (not landrace skinny) and there were 9 finger fan leaves for a long time, now its back down to 3... i really like the plant though i'm planning to try it in hydro... the white rhino is no slouch though...