Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Vertical / Colosseum Growing > DIY vertical LED top fed, recirculating hydro... thing

Thread Title Search
DIY vertical LED top fed, recirculating hydro... thing Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-03-2020, 11:30 PM #11
Medicine, Man

Medicine, Man has a spectacular aura aboutMedicine, Man has a spectacular aura aboutMedicine, Man has a spectacular aura aboutMedicine, Man has a spectacular aura aboutMedicine, Man has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReikoX View Post

Hey Reiko, thanks for stopping by!

I just found your latest workshop, but need to read the whole thing still. I'm digging the over engineering though!

I've got no dimmer on my flower light, since my potentiometer died after a couple years. I need to get something in there to adjust the light level, but was thinking of something a little more advanced than a knob, if it's not crazy expensive. Got any recommendations?
Maybe one of those things with the digital readout, telling how much power it's using? I dunno, haven't researched it as much as I probably should have yet. Maybe a bag of potentiometers would still be cheaper? Lol
Medicine, Man is offline Quote

Old 08-04-2020, 03:17 AM #12
ReikoX
Knight of the BlackSvn

ReikoX has a reputation beyond reputeReikoX has a reputation beyond reputeReikoX has a reputation beyond reputeReikoX has a reputation beyond reputeReikoX has a reputation beyond reputeReikoX has a reputation beyond reputeReikoX has a reputation beyond reputeReikoX has a reputation beyond reputeReikoX has a reputation beyond reputeReikoX has a reputation beyond reputeReikoX has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicine, Man View Post
Maybe a bag of potentiometers would still be cheaper? Lol
Most definitely. I like the ones from RapidLED, they are tested and have a case around them. Only $6 too. A cheap Kill-a-watt meter can help you to adjust them, they can be found for about $35 USD on Amazon. They are pretty handy to have around the house too.

The fancy controller I use ran me $200 USD.
ReikoX is offline Quote

Old 08-04-2020, 04:13 AM #13
Medicine, Man

Medicine, Man has a spectacular aura aboutMedicine, Man has a spectacular aura aboutMedicine, Man has a spectacular aura aboutMedicine, Man has a spectacular aura aboutMedicine, Man has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReikoX View Post
Most definitely. I like the ones from RapidLED, they are tested and have a case around them. Only $6 too. A cheap Kill-a-watt meter can help you to adjust them, they can be found for about $35 USD on Amazon. They are pretty handy to have around the house too.

The fancy controller I use ran me $200 USD.

Awesome, thanks! I saw the pricey one you were using last, and while it looked great, it would significantly increase the overall price of the fixture. I was hoping there might be a middle road somewhere, so thanks again! I'll check em out. Gotta reduce the wattage, and hopefully increase the grammage per wattage lol

Old 08-04-2020, 10:26 PM #14
roybart

roybart is just really niceroybart is just really niceroybart is just really niceroybart is just really niceroybart is just really niceroybart is just really niceroybart is just really niceroybart is just really niceroybart is just really nice
Reading up about vertical grow, is this the end game?

This is the plan view or looking down at the grow area, the right side indicates the placement of the DIY LED's

This is the front elevation or looking at it standing in front of the plants.

Kinda sorta the plants have LED on top shining down and shining from the front towards the wall.
I have some 4 inch wide DIY LED which i could use the fill in the sides if its worth the effort.

The LST training should be like this??

Looking at the plant from the front??

Looking at the side elevation it should be like this??

Thoughts , comments ????????????

Last edited by roybart; 08-04-2020 at 10:27 PM.. Reason: make it pretty
roybart is offline Quote

Old 08-05-2020, 04:34 PM #15
Medicine, Man

You could do it like that, but ideally you wouldn't want or need the overhead lighting to be a true vert grow.

The top thread up in the vertical sections stickys called "LED vertical scrog" by Ichabod Crane is a good example of a 1 plane vertical grow. He does it like your drawing, but I don't think he has the overhead lighting.

Old 08-07-2020, 06:45 PM #16
Medicine, Man

So I brought some pics for a little update, and to illustrate the fork in the road I find myself in.

I'm seeing what look to be signs of deficiencies and excesses in different plants. No big surprise when you run genetics from both ends of the spectrum in the same rez, so now I'm deciding which step to take next.

I could bump the MC up, but I'm already at 5g/gal, and the more Sativa acting plants are already plenty green... But they also look like they may have a possible deficiency too.
I could just add Epsom salts to the rez at a tsp/gal for a magnesium boost.
Or I could drop nutes back to 4g/gal, and add Epsom.

Here's some pics and more info:

Heavenly Hashplant, lighter green, with purpling petioles and streaking stalk. This is heavy Indica, being Bubba x 88g13hp...
EDIT- I think this is actually a Skunky VD by Schwaggy P. She's still pretty Indica though, being:
Chem 91skva x (Mi Skunk x Iraqi)
X
Chem D x (Mi Skunk x Iraqi)

Knights Templar v2, leaning heavy to her Sativa side. The tallest in the tent, you can see her fans, circled in red, acting like they're getting way too much N. They also tend to curl like this when they're higher than the best light, so it's tough to tell for sure. You can also see what look to be burnt tips, and rusty serrations.
Down at her bottoms look to be deficient leaves. These are also down below the best light, so they could be wanting more there.

The other most Sativa acting gal is the Spring Training. On her there's a little worse tip burn, and more rusty serrations. Leaves are plenty green, but I'm still not sure if she's looking like the beginning of a deficiency or excess...

Here's a better lit pic of bottoms of both plants. You can see the yellow blotchiness better...

I'll probably end up just adding the Epsom tonight, and watch for a few days, unless someone screams not to before then lol

Anyway, I'll get better individual pics for an update tonight.

Last edited by Medicine, Man; 08-09-2020 at 06:34 PM..

Old 08-09-2020, 03:10 PM #17
MrMMJ

MrMMJ has a spectacular aura aboutMrMMJ has a spectacular aura aboutMrMMJ has a spectacular aura aboutMrMMJ has a spectacular aura aboutMrMMJ has a spectacular aura about
Your pics are linking to r***itup to view.
MrMMJ is offline Quote

Old 08-09-2020, 06:02 PM #18
Medicine, Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMMJ View Post
Your pics are linking to r***itup to view.

Ha, thanks for the heads up! Fixed...I think...

Old 08-09-2020, 07:07 PM #19
Medicine, Man

Alrighty, so I took some closer shots the other night of the individual plants. The younger are around 2 weeks, and the older are about 6. For picture posting purposes, This post will have the 3 younger plants, and 1 of the older ones...

2wk Heavenly Hashplant:

2wk Skunky VD:

2wk Pillow Book:

Sky Lotus week 6 and her top bud:

Rest of the 6 weekers in the next post...

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:16 PM #20
Medicine, Man

Knights Templar v2 week 6:

KT top:

Spring Training week 6:

ST Top:

2 members found this post helpful.