What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to Garden By The Moon

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
Many mooncharts incorporate astrology mumbo jumbo.
The author of the thread was telling us how the astro charts are the ones to watch.
I am contending that astro charts are bollocks and always have been.

I couldn't have said it better myself. The simple fact is there's no science behind it. "Yes there is science behind it - we know that the moon affects the tides on earth!". Well no shit.

If you want to grow awesome plants all you need is good light, good nutrients, and good genetics. Even if the position of the moon could affect your grow the difference would be so marginal you wouldn't even be able to notice it.

There are legit reasons to plant by the moon, but ASTROLOGY and starsign hocus pocus has nothing to do with it.

ps. the author of this thread has since been banned from both icmag and fullmeltbubble websites, it turns out she's just as credible as her hocus pocus astrology.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
IMO, astrology as fortune telling is bs. If celestial bodies indeed affect water movement, wouldn't be stretch to suggest a study of movement and stages reflect this potential benefit.

W/o reference to movement and stages, what do farmer's have to go on other than planting times and cycles?

Lol, I remember an aunt using a tree-limb divining rod, hoping to save money on well digging costs. The well diggers arrived and had a manufactured divining rod made from a metal spring with a ceramic ball/weight on the end. I watched those well diggers use the spring before they drilled and hit water the first attempt. They claimed it's accurate but measures water deeper than they can drill. So they're supposed to know the strength of the reaction to judge whether to drill. :chin: Strange stuff.

smokefrogg

Veteran
well regarding the debate between lunar and astrological, i've been following the basic lunar wax and waning, funny as i notice my wife seems to as well

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
I couldn't have said it better myself. The simple fact is there's no science behind it. "Yes there is science behind it - we know that the moon affects the tides on earth!". Well no shit.

If you want to grow awesome plants all you need is good light, good nutrients, and good genetics. Even if the position of the moon could affect your grow the difference would be so marginal you wouldn't even be able to notice it.

There are legit reasons to plant by the moon, but ASTROLOGY and starsign hocus pocus has nothing to do with it.

ps. the author of this thread has since been banned from both icmag and fullmeltbubble websites, it turns out she's just as credible as her hocus pocus astrology.

Well by that logic then Baba Ku's point is invalid as he is now banned also.

Some testing may be in order. Can anyone recommend a good heating mat that could be used for several weeks straight?

Don't really understand

Don't really understand

I don't understand mubo jumbo. So i will just ask; it's april the best month to start seeds. According to the charts and mumbo jumbo, which is the best day this month to start seeds? :comfort:

:thank you::thank you::thank you:

BlueGrassToker

Funny how we can look at a lunar chart that uses the zodiac, and it will be almost 180degrees opposite of those charts that consider only the moon phases.
I too find it hard to buy the zodiac charts, and have always found it without merit.

Pure lunar planters will plant above ground, leafy flowers at the start of the wax of the moon. This means the very first sliver of light after the new dark moon.
This month that happens next week. We are entering a new moon and will be completely dark (new) tomorrow.
The start of the waxing period, and the optimum for planting cannabis is 5th, 6th, and 7th.
FWIW.

ok if you say so

ok if you say so

I don't really understand all that moon phase stuff but is not the 5th 6th and 7th still in aries. but if you say so the 5th 6th and 7th it is. :comfort: :tiphat:

:thank you:

1st-2nd Favorable Days For Planting Root Crops, Extra Good For Vine Crops. Set [COLOR=#006600 !important][COLOR=#006600 !important]Strawberry[/color][/color] Plants. Good Days For Transplanting.
5th-6th Favorable For Planting Beans, Corn, Cotton, [COLOR=#006600 !important][COLOR=#006600 !important]Tomatoes[/color][/color], Peppers, And Other Aboveground Crops
9th-10th Plant Tomatoes, [COLOR=#006600 !important][COLOR=#006600 !important]Beans[/color][/color], Peppers, Corn, Cotton, And Other Aboveground Crops On These Most Fruitful Days. Plant Seedbeds. Start Flower Gardens.
16th-17th First Day Good For Planting Corn, Melons, [COLOR=#006600 !important][COLOR=#006600 !important]Squash[/color][/color], Tomatoes, And Other Aboveground Crops. Last Day Favorable For Planting Root Crops. All Days Favorable For Sowing Grains, Hay And Fodder Crops, And For Planting Flowers.

If i go by this the most fruitful days are the 9th, and 10th. So start germination on the 5th-6th for planting on the 9th, 10th

Is that correct? :comfort:

Rowdy420

New moon is today!

I'd start my beans anywhere from the 5th -10th, this will give you a larger window to work with. All you have to do is keep it close, the waning and waxing of the moon is a fairly slow cycle, just keep your sowing and harvesting within a couple days of the recommended times and you'll soon find yourself in sync.

Good luck, Peace

M

Mr. Mountain

Every seed I planted these last few days came up!

Including 4/4 Avalon X KC36 that are well over 10 yrs old. Every other seed I planted also germinated. 10/10 Sweet tooth 1.1, 2/2 Grape Krush X TBB and 1/1 Sweet Blue X TBB.

All were soaked overnight in a glass of water and planted in rapid rooters.

I usually have high success (90%+) but never thought those Avalon X Kc 36 would have 100% germ after so long.

The last seeds I planted near/on a full moon were Vanilluna... I got a VERY special pheno.

Here she is in re-veg:

It may all be BS but it's been working quite well for me!

BudGood

"Be shapeless, formless, like water..."
Veteran
YES! I found a real good moon calendar in the thread from Cranberry, it is in German though. (Google Chrome will translate halfway decently for you, enough to understand it.)

http://www.astrologie-info.com/mocal.cgi

The moon is in Libra? Am I reading this right? Does it matter where I am (for example near Denver is mountain time, the calendar has 0 UT on it, thinking I need to adjust for that, or not?)

Time to bust out the camera and start a new thread! Thanks everyone! :wave:

BTW, I miss Lola!