What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Let's talk organic cloning

dcd

I just got done taking my second run of clones, (10 clones 2 new stains one I cloned in the first run) after the first run seems to be successful.. First run was 5 clones, 3 strains, 100% success after a week. So I don't have the numbers or experience but I found it hard, even after registering to find info on organic specific cloning. I did most of my soil research on this site n I give a bunch of you props!:thank you::thank you:

After digging around trying to educate myself I devised a plan n had at it.

I mixed a 3-4", piece of aloe, with water n a couple drops of pro-tekt. A suggestion from a pretty smart coot on here... I only saw part of the post reposted tho. I couldn't find the whole thing.

My cuts soaked in this solution for 30-60min. I also soaked my medium in it before I started cutting. My cuts were bottom branches with 2-3 nodes. They are both doin good. I cut the stem below the bottom node n trimmed the side branches off it. Leaving 1/8"ish of stem n just a hair of branch. Just enough so I didn't cut the stem... I have nothing to back this up but I'm goin for max root sites with minimal stress. I didn't trim leaves... I've read of benefits but I go for the lowest stress possible.

To transfer to the medium, I used my presoaked livin organic soil mix, take a piece of aloe about 5" n poke the cut in the open end a couple times, get it good n gooey n stick it in the medium enough that it stands on its own.

I mixed a foliar with aloe n couple drops of fulpower, sprayed and covered with the dome... Uncovering to spray n allow air changes a couple times a day.

After I pulled them from the dome I let them dry a bit n watered with some coco water n aloe.

So what can I improve on here? I have a good rate with a low number of clones, but relatively little experience. I'd like to give newbs like me a go to spot for info on organic cloning, so please post your methods n suggestions.

Almost forgot a couple important notes:

Always use aloe quickly, I think it starts to oxidize instantly. You can sub fresh for powdered, gel, or juice. I don't know enough to comment on these.

Put cuts directly into soaking solution. If air gets in the stem it can cause problems.

Thanks and enjoy!:tiphat:

Coba

Veteran
it's strain related for me. I didn't even realize it until I started playing with less messed around with genes

in this picture you can see the root primordia from a strain I have...
picture.php

they travel up past the rhizome almost to the first node of the cotyledon... these genetics would probably root in pool filter sand. definitely in a cup of plain water.

now the dutch genes I have is a different story... I don't know if they like pure aloe gel or not. I think I get better results when I dilute the aloe instead of dipping the fresh cutting directly into the filet meat. they also seem to do better, root faster, stay green and turbid, with a little purple N fixing bacteria sprayed foliarly. so I'll just say for me the sulfur smelling N fixing bacteria is where it's at for rooting my harder to clone stuffs.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
i use straight gel from fresh cut aloe (I grow it for this purpose) might also put powder in teh water if I am rooting in water or peat plugs

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Over the past few years I've been doing a lot of cloning of hardwood type plants that are much more difficult and usually require over wintering in a cellar for roots to kick...

Blueberries, for example, are quite difficult to clone...

So I began working on a "cloning soil" that would fit all the different parameters that was needed for such plants.

The end result, has worked fantastically on cannabis as well. I tend to use 9oz solo cups, with drainage holes...and leave 3-5 internodes on a 4-6" cutting. Rooting hormone or not - it is really your choice, but it works either way if you keep proper moisture levels. No humidity domes needed.

5 gallons peat moss
2.75 gallons coconut coir
.75 gallons EWC
.75 gallons composted cow manure
.5 gallons chunky perlite
.5 gallons vermiculite

1 tbsp Bio-Vam
1 tbsp Bio-Ag Endo Vam

2/3c crab meal
2/3c kelp meal
2 tbsp DE w/ Calcium Bentonite
2/3c pH mineral mix

Mineral Mix:

1/3 dolo
1/3 gypsum
2/3 oyster shell flour

--------------------

Maybe this will come in handy for some one. I've actually been meaning to post / share this now for about a year and just haven't gotten around to it. This thread is a perfect opportunity, I suppose.

dank.Frank

Last edited:

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What Frank said "and leave 3-5 internodes"
if I understand him correctly is the number one important thing for cloning plants IMO & IME. Leave as many exposed nodes in the rooting zone as you can.

This applies to organic or conventional techniques. One can also peel away some of the outer bark in the root zone which can provide more rooting sites, especially in cases of lack of nodes. Be careful not to peel or cut right into a node.

dcd

Frank I woulda liked to have that mix before I took these. I'm only missing the bio-ag, bio-vam, n DE. Do you have to adjust the ph for the blueberries differently? I always thought they liked acidic soil. I guess that's also for growing though.

Microbe man can you be a little more specific? I was at the bottom end of those numbers n only had one node under the soil. How many are you leaving on top? How close do you cut to the node?

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
dcd - yes, blueberries do prefer a lower pH in general - but - this mix has enough sulfur in it the plant can still control the environment with the root zone.

About the only time I EVER use cottonseed meal is when growing blueberries, roses and hydrangeas...and it is specifically because of it's tendency to lower pH.

So, if you really wanted to - you could sub equal parts of the crab meal:cotton seed.

Do keep in mind though my main purpose behind this mix was to get HEALTHIER rooting plants that didn't need a bit of a lull transition period between methods (hydro to soil)...the focus ingredient wise wasn't really nutritional provision as much as it was preventing soil pests in a medium that was otherwise staying moist and not cycling between wet/dry periods.

I'm certainly not claiming it to be the end all of clone mixes - but - it does do a great job. I don't honestly plan on altering it much (at all) unless for some reason I just hit a wall with it.

dank.Frank

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I can only give my way of prepping cuttings. One is not always going to have closely spaced nodes but when growing for this purpose I've pruned to promote this.

I select cuttings which I see having a cluster of nodes which will be in the root zone. I rejoice at more than 3.

If there are less nodes in the root zone I peel the bark more. Each one is different but generally you may cut within 1/8th to 1/16th inch below the bottom node or longer.

Above the rooting zone can be any number of nodes and my cuttings have ranged from 4 to 8 inches for cannabis but longer or shorter for other species. I cut off the bottom foliage above the rooting zone to a point which reduces contact with rooting medium but I have a propensity to leave as much foliage as possible.

This IME makes for a plant which takes off running when planted. If growing small plants it can be triggered to flower within 2 weeks.

Coba

Veteran
I just got all warm and fuzzy inside thinking about dank.Frank walking around in his rose garden looking very intensely at all his flowers with the exact same passion as he does with cannabis and women...

expealadocious

Sounds like your on the right track. I prefer to keep the rh high but no direct spraying tho...
I do root powder dip to peat pellet thingies in a dome with holes drilled. Pretty simple and it works good.

Ever hear of air layering? I havent done any yet but it looks super interesting.

bucketswithsoil

support your local surfboard builder...
I just got all warm and fuzzy inside thinking about dank.Frank walking around in his rose garden looking very intensely at all his flowers with the exact same passion as he does with cannabis and women...

if ya cant.love a hot trampy slutty super hot.chick,then theres something a matter..lol, and of course love for the ganja as well... WHATS UP COBA!!

Sounds like your on the right track. I prefer to keep the rh high but no direct spraying tho...
I do root powder dip to peat pellet thingies in a dome with holes drilled. Pretty simple and it works good.

Ever hear of air layering? I havent done any yet but it looks super interesting.

yeap,WAY bigger clones,as well if some are hard to get to root,have a og.rascal og x bx,that i was debateing on trying this on,but instead i just topped the living shit outta her...didnt wanna lose this girl, so AL might be next option,if for some reason theze clones dont take.. :biggrin:

wonder if dank frank is sayyyyy a christy mack/tory lane kinda of dude,or more downs the line,with say...jennifer Aniston,julia roberts type dude,just was wondering...

like i.was saying,DF and MM,definitely knkw whats up,and so does my man coba.. big Ups.. :respect:

im.same way,cut,nip,dip(clonex),into peat pellet,into dome,and bam off to the races
usually VERY.VERY good results for me useing this way... GL

Coba

Veteran
What up Buckets. Thanks for those ups man.

imo Weird, DF and MM are in a class notches above the one I'm in bro for sure. Weird and DF are FAMILY fucks and MM's from Canada... probably close to where the original BC buds came from.

me, I'm just trying to copy what these guys are doing...

large bless up B.
Respect

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
you can clone without anything ...yeehaw...I have stuck cuts right in soil without any additives and done just fine...

dcd

This is turning out great. I can't give rep yet but it's been earned. Shoulda joined sooner instead of lookin in from the sidelines. Expealadocious I haven't heard of air layering but I'll look into it. Can we bring reveggin into the discussion? Anything you guys do specifically for clones? Ever done a whole plant after harvest? While I have your attention I'm gonna try to get all the info I can... There was something else I saw done but didn't see the outcome. I think he cut the sun leaf/bud off the node maybe debarked n made a tin foil cup below it, lined it with a papertowel n filled with soil. He said it kept the clone connected to the plants system until it had it's own roots n all you had to do was keep it moist. I don't know if he used cloning powder n I've never found anything backing this up... Seems like it is possible, but it's still connected to the plant. So there's also a possibility of harming the plant?

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
For revegging - I like to leave 3-5 good sized flowers from the lower of the plant intact while pruning, so it does at times take proper planning...

I'll harvest, and give the plant a week to recover under LOW INTENSITY CFL on 24/7.

After the first week and the initial shock of being hacked to death wears off, I'll attack the roots and trim them all back and then replant into fresh soil. (my basic organic soil mix)

I think the key here is again, watching your watering levels...and not trying to "grow" the plant with excessive lighting. Remember, the whole container is not full of roots so there isn't going to be much uptake until the roots spread back out...and likewise, there won't be much happening above the soil with new growth until the roots spread back out.

Roots will grow for about 2 weeks and in this process the flowers will start to go brown a bit around the edges, but as they do, you'll notice the calyxes giving way and some new growth tips starting to emerge.

Be patient. It can take 4wks for a full reveg to really start showing signs of new growth.

However, I've seen people reveg single nugs with long stems that were chopped as a "clone" and put in the aerocloner for a few weeks...also with success.

So again, not preaching "my way" to be the only way - because in reality it isn't "my way" as much as it is the process I've developed over many years of learning from the very best at this site. I'm merely condensing and repeating the bits and pieces I've found valuable.

------------

If you REALLY want to learn and study air layering - looking into the fruit/citrus tree industry. Commercial apples have been grown via air layering and grafting for DECADES onto the same old root stocks....

Horticulture really is fascinating - and even more so - how bloody adaptable cannabis is to SOOOO many different approaches is just this side of hilarious. It really is a remarkably versatile plant!!!

dank.Frank

amanda88

I'm happy using aero vera and honey on my clones, one as a surfactant the other as an antiseptic,