What's new

Why the medical marijuana community is split over legalizing recreational use

R

Robrites

Proposition 64 has divided the medical marijuana community, with many planning to vote 'no' to legalizing recreational use

Come November, medical pot dispensary operator Lanette Davies won’t be joining others in her industry in voting for Proposition 64, a measure that would legalize the recreational use of marijuana.
The initiative could create a flood of new customers for Davies’ nonprofit Canna Care pot shop, which is located in the back of an industrial park on the outskirts of Sacramento. But Davies fears the Nov. 8 ballot measure will result in big corporations driving out small operators, and the government setting steep taxes and fees on cannabis that will put it out of reach for many of her mostly low-income customers.
“Because of the double taxation and the permit fees, you are not going to have affordable medication,” Davies predicted as her customer bought a $33 bag of Jedi Kush marijuana. “The people who are going to suffer are those who are disabled, who are on low incomes. They are not going to be able to get life-saving medicine.”
She is not the only one concerned. Proposition 64 has split the medical cannabis community, with some seeing new opportunity and others fearing it will wreck a system that is working for nearly 800,000 medical pot card holders.
<aside class="trb_ar_sponsoredmod trb_barker_mediaconductor" data-adloader-networktype="mediaconductor" data-role="delayload delayload_item" data-screen-size="desktop" data-withinviewport-options="bottomOffset=100" data-load-method="trb.vendor.mediaconductor.init" data-load-type="method" data-vendor-mc=""></aside>The division was exposed recently when the California Growers Assn. conducted a survey of 770 industry members, mostly marijuana growers and activists, according to Hezekiah Allen, executive director of the group.
He said 31% of those who responded — some 238 industry members — opposed the ballot measure, while 31% supported it and 38% were undecided. With hundreds of its members in opposition, the growers association decided to stay neutral on Proposition 64.
“We are totally divided,” Allen said. “We have strongly mixed opinions.”
Many growers, dispensary operators and customers of the existing medical cannabis market oppose the measure, arguing it undermines the intent of the Compassionate Use Act of 1996, which allowed marijuana to be used for medical purposes.
Dennis Peron, coauthor of the proposition behind that law, opposes Proposition 64 because he thinks current state laws allow for medicinal use of cannabis with little meddling by the government.
“We don’t need it,” Peron said of the initiative. “Why are there so many restrictions that they insist on as if [pot] were super dangerous?”
Proposition 64, whose major backers include former Facebook President Sean Parker and Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom, would allow adults 21 and older to possess, transport and use up to an ounce of marijuana for recreational purposes and allow individuals to grow as many as six plants.

ReadtheRest

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Prices WILL go down under legalization, until the guvment taxes the shit out of it, then it will cost more than when it was illegal.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Got me thinking......If we were to be able to get into some sort of 'Tardis' (time traveling machine).....and go back 90 years or so in the USA, when alcohol prohibition was repealed...

How would the owners of speak-easy's, gin joint's and honky-tonks feel about alcohol becoming legal again?....How would the owners of once illegal breweries and moonshine stills feel about all the new legal bars and retail establishments that could now operate with a liquor license and sell booze cheaply and freely once again from the major breweries and distilleries?

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
On the off chance it doesn't pass
And
Peron realizes the inevitably of rec legalization...
I wonder if he..or others that are proven canna ...er... intellectuals..could be cajoled into attempting the next bill....

geneva_sativa

Got me thinking......If we were to be able to get into some sort of 'Tardis' (time traveling machine).....and go back 90 years or so in the USA, when alcohol prohibition was repealed...

How would the owners of speak-easy's, gin joint's and honky-tonks feel about alcohol becoming legal again?....How would the owners of once illegal breweries and moonshine stills feel about all the new legal bars and retail establishments that could now operate with a liquor license and sell booze cheaply and freely once again from the major breweries and distilleries?

Another question is . . . why are these auma guys so hell bent on regulating the medical community ?

oldchuck

Veteran

Gypsy, think a little more. Sure, the end of prohibition got a lot of bad operators out of the business but... the way they wrote the new liquor regulations prevented people from home brewing their own beer, or the existence of the now common microbrewers, for more than three generations. And it has only been in the last 20 years or so that small scale distillers were allowed to exist legally. J.D. Rockefeller junior, a prohibitionist initially, wrote most of those rules, designed to limit alcohol production to large corporations which continue to become fewer and fewer larger and larger. And still, we find bloody bodies all over the road from driving drunk. I don't think our alcohol experience for the last 90 years has been all that stellar.

What I don't understand that if the group that wants to keep cannabis unregulated but still be able to open sell, there will still be large corporations that will take over. The largest companies in existence started before any kind of business regulations. When you have a capitalistic economy, monopolies are an inevitablity

Many want to fix the entire corrupt system with cannabis law, when cannabis law is just a mere stepping stone toward a better society.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
I'm not smoking 'their' shit anyway, even if they're giving it away.

iBogart

Veteran
The woman in the article Lanette Davies, the dispensary owner ain't fooling nobody. I bet she doesn't give two shits about those low income, disabled folks as she takes their money. More competition equals lower prices. Actually, the taxes and permit fees will help buoy prices so folks in the business can still turn a profit, which is all they really care about.

I'm not in this to make money, and I have very little sympathy for folks making money off of it in the name of helping sick people.

iBogart

Veteran
Have corporations taken over in California as of yet ?

But it sure looks like that will happen if auma passes.

Who cares? Why not form your own corporation with some business partners, gather up some investors and dominate the scene? It's survival of the fittest man. Like it or not. That's truth.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I have always found it a complete and utter affront to human decency that the powers that be restrict/ban/criminalize/prosecute and persecute people for growing a PLANT, and a medicinal plant at that...

We can legally grow poisonous plants such as Belladonna in our gardens, plants that can actually kill you, but cannabis we can not, and even those that can are, or are to be regulated......it's just so bloody ridiculous.

Sforza

Veteran

How would the Mafia feel about its biggest money maker going away?
Those who benefit from the artificial scarcity are not going to be happy if it becomes legal. Compare a modern brewery or whiskey distillery output and quality with that put out by a home brewery or moonshiner.

There will always be a market for boutique-style microdistilleries and microbreweries for those who are willing to pay extra for a small increase in quality. Same thing for connoisseur ganja.

Sforza

Veteran
Who cares? Why not form your own corporation with some business partners, gather up some investors and dominate the scene? It's survival of the fittest man. Like it or not. That's truth.

True. Look how those terrible corporations like Apple and Google have forced us to use their phones and other services.

There is not much that we use in our daily lives that is not made by a corporation. Corporations are just groups of people. Forming a corporation does not make people evil. If anything, the security laws force corporations to be more honest and accountable than privately held companies.

Sforza

Veteran
I'm not smoking 'their' shit anyway, even if they're giving it away.

Nice thing about corporations, unlike governments, they do not force you to do anything. If you would rather keep your money instead of exchanging it for their goods or services, you are free to do so.

When the government sends you a bill, you better pay up.

Folks,

PLEASE look at the example that Washington has set in implementing recreational.

They have FUCKED medical.

Medical as we knew it is gone in Washington.

If you want meds of questionable genetics, with pesticides and a 37% tax then come to Washington.

I-502 pledged "no impact on medical". Look for yourself. Don't take my word. THEY HAVE FUCKED US!!!!!!!!!

Please be careful when you vote. Make sure that the legislation is really "good". Just because it supports legalization does not mean that it is the right way to do it.

Please take our (Washington) failures in mind when you vote.

I hope that CA fairs better than WA did.

I wish you the best.

FJ.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The most regrettable aspect is I had hoped Colo would be the bar...with the amendment and the 40℅ going to education system..if prop 64 did that i wouldn't give a fuck about the rest..