What's new

help w pest identification

zizration

Hello, I am very new to the forum and hello to everyone. I have been having some problems with my plants. They were doing pretty good and then they started getting some really bad leaves and growth pretty much stopped. I have been reading about russet mites and convinced myself that is my problem. Here is what I have for pictures. Any help and advice is greatly appreciated..:)

I am sorry for so many posts on this, it seems like my next run of plants is showing same signs as this problem run..:(

Attachments

• Photo on 2016-05-28 at 2.44 PM.jpg
    Photo on 2016-05-28 at 2.44 PM.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Photo on 2016-05-28 at 2.41 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 2016-05-28 at 2.41 PM #2.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Photo on 2016-05-28 at 2.40 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 2016-05-28 at 2.40 PM #2.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 9
  • Photo on 2016-05-28 at 2.39 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 2016-05-28 at 2.39 PM #2.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5469.jpg
    IMG_5469.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

zizration

a few more pictures. any help would be greatly appreciated...

Attachments

• Photo on 2016-05-29 at 8.47 AM #2.jpg
    Photo on 2016-05-29 at 8.47 AM #2.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Photo on 2016-05-29 at 8.48 AM #2.jpg
    Photo on 2016-05-29 at 8.48 AM #2.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Photo on 2016-05-29 at 8.49 AM #2.jpg
    Photo on 2016-05-29 at 8.49 AM #2.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Photo on 2016-05-29 at 8.50 AM.jpg
    Photo on 2016-05-29 at 8.50 AM.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 8
  • Photo on 2016-05-29 at 8.52 AM.jpg
    Photo on 2016-05-29 at 8.52 AM.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 5

zizration

So as I look at these pictures it just gets worse and worse. 1 week ago these were pretty nice little plants.

Any advice/input at all would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_5756.jpg
    IMG_5756.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5758.jpg
    IMG_5758.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5757.jpg
    IMG_5757.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5752.jpg
    IMG_5752.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5754.jpg
    IMG_5754.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 5

zizration

Thank you for responses. Very much appreciated. No movement at all.I hadn't sprayed for exactly 7 days. Looks like bug and eggs though ? I'm not crazy?

I sprayed again today w/ 2 ml/L rosemary oil+ 1ml/L thyme oil + 1ml/L cin leaf + 1 ml/L clove bud oil + 2 ml/L dr bronners peppermint soap. I also added an aspirin 325 mg + silica ( 1ml/5 L ) for good measure . Total mix was 5 litres. (a gallon is 3.78 L .)

I plan on misting w plain water tomorrow morning and flushing with a 1000 ppm vege mix supplemented w aspirin + silica . So bummed as these were looking really nice a short time ago. As they are still in VEG I may go heavy and hit them w AVID, or just chop down and replace.. My last run was also hit with this and I can't go through this again.

zizration

FTR I am fully licensed and legit medical gardener here in Canada. As you can see my last run was very stunted by these bastard creatures..:( ,.,...

Attachments

• IMG_5742.jpg
    IMG_5742.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 6

corky1968

Veteran
I hope you clean everything out real good between each grow.

The second generation of bugs tend to really go crazy.

b_Easy

If it Doesn't move then I'd say sometype of scale bug! Had a very tiny touch of them in past didn't look like that though.

Morphote

Veteran
You are definitely dealing with some type of mite, and you are looking at a real bad infestation. I would scrap everything and start over, but I am hard core like that. When I see that many eggs I know it is a war that will never end. I can give you a list of different ways to combat this infestation, but I fear nothing you do will get rid of the mites completely. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but better to deal with it now than let it persist. Good luck whatever you decide.

M.

zizration

lol not laughing at you, laughing with you...those are all pictures of trichomes and some debris.

You think so? I mean that would be awesome. How come the plants have gotten so messed up? My feeds were decent and preventative sprays in place as well.. any thoughts on how to get back on track here?

zizration

You are definitely dealing with some type of mite, and you are looking at a real bad infestation. I would scrap everything and start over, but I am hard core like that. When I see that many eggs I know it is a war that will never end. I can give you a list of different ways to combat this infestation, but I fear nothing you do will get rid of the mites completely. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but better to deal with it now than let it persist. Good luck whatever you decide.

M.

yea i feel like Im dealing w something here as at magnification on multiple leaves off several plants i see the same bug like things. Id LOVE to be crazy. Any advice and discussion is appreciated! I am going to try a few more things before throwing in the towel.

Scrappy-doo

If it Doesn't move then I'd say sometype of scale bug! Had a very tiny touch of them in past didn't look like that though.

Exactly what I was going to say.

The small circular things are glands. Every plant has them. The larger sliver shaped translucent things look like some sort of scale bug. I've had them before but they were a different kind. There are hundreds of varieties. If that's what they are you will likely see some on the stems as well if you look closely. They tend to start at the bottom of the plant and work their way up to the leaves.

Scale bugs however I don't believe would cause the sort of damage we see here, so you may be looking at more than one pest. From the look of the damage you could be dealing with a root pest like aphids. How are your roots looking?

zizration

i will look at the roots in the morning.. thnx very much for advice. i haven't seen any bugs of any kind, other than the ones in my picts. i have yellow sticky cards out trying to trap anything..

Morphote

Veteran
yea i feel like Im dealing w something here as at magnification on multiple leaves off several plants i see the same bug like things. Id LOVE to be crazy. Any advice and discussion is appreciated! I am going to try a few more things before throwing in the towel.

First indication that you have some type of infestation is exactly what you said: plants slowed down and then they stopped growing. You know something is wrong when you see that. Second indication is the clear necrosis we are seeing on your plants. So, first they stopped growing and now the leaves are dying. I'm not going to debate anyone saying that your pics are of trichs or glands. I would just say to google mite eggs and tell me the pics you see don't look EXACTLY like what you are dealing with. My guess is those mites are hiding in your soil and coming up to suck the juices out of your plants. When they bite your plants they open up the plant to further damage from various pathogens, further compounding the problem. I would start with a neem soil drench. I highly recommend Einstein Oil. Question: pics you posted are from the underside of your leaves, correct?

M.

Scrappy-doo

Here is a thread on scale insects. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=59865

Scroll thru the pics and you will see a few different kinds but there are literally hundreds of all different shapes colors and sizes. I had the kind showed on page 2 and 3. If you do an image search on the web you may find a match to your specific variety... If that's what you are actually dealing with. Not difficult to treat. But again they wouldn't do the kind of damage seen in pics so my guess is something else having to do with yer roots is the real problem.