What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Increase cloning success!! Cut again underwater

frostqueen

Did your plant physiology class study cannabis plants specifically? Because this information relates to herbaceous soft/fleshy cuttings, not stiffer fibrous-stemmed plants like cannabis. I've never done this 'submerge immediately in water!' thing, and I never lose any clones. How do you improve things above 100%?

I will usually take six at a time and often let them lay around on the work table for 5 minutes, and they still do just fine. I never cut at a 45 degree angle, either. Judging from these comments I'm not the only one here who just gets it done without all the unnecessary fuss.

Just saying. You are making assumptions about the value of this technique for cannabis and then presenting that as fact, which is one of the biggest problems in cannabis growing forums IMO. The single most important key to cloning success is having a healthy mother. Using silica to stiffen up the tissues can help with softer branched strains. That has a factual basis.

Budley Doright

Veteran
Did your plant physiology class study cannabis plants specifically? Because this information relates to herbaceous soft/fleshy cuttings, not stiffer fibrous-stemmed plants like cannabis. I've never done this 'submerge immediately in water!' thing, and I never lose any clones. How do you improve things above 100%?

I will usually take six at a time and often let them lay around on the work table for 5 minutes, and they still do just fine. I never cut at a 45 degree angle, either. Judging from these comments I'm not the only one here who just gets it done without all the unnecessary fuss.

Just saying. You are making assumptions about the value of this technique for cannabis and then presenting that as fact, which is one of the biggest problems in cannabis growing forums IMO. The single most important key to cloning success is having a healthy mother. Using silica to stiffen up the tissues can help with softer branched strains. That has a factual basis.

You are correct imo..... this is just one of those things that refuses to die..... Ive done zillions of clones and this doesn't matter one bit.... not that it doesn't matter to some other kind of plants.... but for cannabis you are wasting your time.....

But Its your time to spend......

I don't do the 45 thing either but do scrape opposite sides to expose additional cambium....

frostqueen

I don't do the 45 thing either but do scrape opposite sides to expose additional cambium....

I did a few side-by-side tests on the stem scraping and found that scraped stems rooted a bit faster than unscraped ones, so I'm with you there. I found the same thing regarding dipping in a rooting hormone; the dipped ones had a slight edge on the undipped ones. That said, too long a dip in the hormones actually impeded rooting rather than helped.

Budley Doright

Veteran
You might find this interesting.... I did this really big gg4 clone and scraped opposite sides..... its pretty clear in the pic.... it rooted very vigorously on the scrapes and none really elsewhere....

Latest posts

Latest posts