What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

SBS AF - Comparison - warm vs cool

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
In any test where a control is used, the control is typical, or unchanged, the norm.
lol i know that, the way you were talking i didnt think you knew, you only talk about the hot and the cold and mention a control but only pics of 2 groups of plants with no explanation which is hot cold and control.

Stress_test

I'm always here when I'm not someplace else
Veteran
lol i know that, the way you were talking i didnt think you knew, you only talk about the hot and the cold and mention a control but only pics of 2 groups of plants with no explanation which is hot cold and control.

LMAO!!
Yeah you got me. I thought I had explained that, and totally didn't.

Thanks for pointing it out, somebody else mighta missed it.

!PeAcE!

very interested to see how this turns out but if I were to run this experiment to make it worth my while I would use clones (for consistent results) and test in 2 degree intervals starting from 50 to 70 it would take 10 seperate grows to figure out in what range provided optimal growth, but even knowing me I would probly do it by the degree. but im curious to see how the ruderalis do, curious one of the first strains i ever grew out was a tester masterlow for mdanzig I remember flowering her on a 14/10 schedule turned out perfect good smoke too.

Hi man,

I am really interested in this topic. I have a thread in the cannabis botany section where I did a sort of similar thing.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=4190456#post4190456

I setup a room in the basement which had about 10F difference on day/night compared to my upstairs room. Also the plants in the basement were frozen twice for an hour or so down to 19F, this was due to a repairman and my landlord. Anyways, the few weeks of being downstairs and the two frozen incidents significantly changed the phenotype of this one particular plant which I was growing clones of in both rooms.

I will be really interested in your results. I definitely think the 72-78F or whatever people seem to think is optimal is only true for specific strains. Probably mostly Indica strains like everyone grows.

I would imagine a Ruderalis strain is quite accustomed to growing in the 50-65F range as that is what their local climate is. Also I would think a sativa strain can tolerate up to 110-120F where most Indica's will suffer anywhere above 90F. It all depends on the origin of the genetics of the plant one is growing.

DJ short says in his book that breeding plants can be affected extremely by their environment and growing certain plants require different environments to see their full potential. His specific examples as I remember were talking about the photoperiod of plants. Most people flower under a simple 12/12, but he recommends trying 11/13 for Sativa, or 13/11 for Indica. Also he recommends changing things in 20-30min intervals each round a clone is grown or breed to see if different results are obtained.

I would imagine the same principle applies to the temperatures the plant encounters during the day and during the night. These things affect the phenotype of the plant and the goal of a grower is to make that effect beneficial to the outcome of the grow( larger plant, stinkier buds, stickier resin, faster flowering time, etc... ).

Good luck on the experiment. Awesome strains b.t.w.

Peace all

H

Happy Trails

hello ?

hello ?

quote:I will try and make updates daily or as regular as possible.

What happened to your updates on this thread?

Seems a lot of folks were and are interested?

Just curious :wave:

Stress_test

I'm always here when I'm not someplace else
Veteran
Sorry folks, My bad.

I thought that I had explained what happened.

I bought 4 new clones and apparently somehow let them slip into the garden with mites.
A couple of days later I left for a week and returned to a devastated garden full of mites and thrips. All the warmer plants were trashed to the point it was senseless trying to continue this comparison.

The cold plants were totally unaffected, obviously mites don't like cold. I did finish the cold plants with above average yield for the strain, but it really doesn't apply since I really did expect that the warm plants would have produced a larger but less potent yield.

The cold plants produced an average of 2oz each of the stickiest, frostiest dank I have ever grown.

I fully intend to repeat this side-by-side as soon as the weather allows. So if this thread gets closed I will start a new one when the time comes.

I am also working on a refrigerated room, and may be able to do this in another week or two. I think it will actually be a more accurate and legitimate test since I can control the temps exactly instead of running an average that fluctuated with outside weather temps.

Another change this go around will be that I will also include clones from a couple strains that are available from a seed vender.
My strain isn't available anyplace else so including other strains that are, should help answer a few more questions.
Such as: The breeding of my strain has been deliberately designed to create a strain that will grow better outdoors in cooler climates than the typical mj likes. So this will tell me/us if I have even began to accomplish that goal.

I have selected 2 strains that I already have and will be looking for a couple more candidates.

Thanx for an intuitive well explained thread. Any one who would knowingly allow giving infected (mite) plants needs to be avoided. Been fightin for almost a year and just about done. Tooo expensive!

HellaFella420

Veteran
i'm going to allow this one...

even though you are not using clones, i will allow it this once.

thank you for getting us going!

LMAO! WTF sleepy!?

I swatted at my monitor twice before I realized that was am e-bug in your signature....!! I thought something was crawling on my screen, bwahaha

S

scai

Sorry to see that you couldn't finsh this test.
Mind you, In Finland, nearly every grower puts some autos or earlys out in summer time.
They are great fans of outdoor growing,many technics, many varieties.
Many go stelth...they plant in forests and meadows and let plant grow on their own.

And about managing cold...I had one Royal Purple Kush male last autumn, and thought I didn't need it.I left it outside and nighttemperature dropped to -15 C.
I took it inside next day, and it was fine! No frozen leaves!

B

BasementGrower

very cool test.. cant wait to see it again.. but iunno ive been dealing with some stupid temps during lights out.. but once i switch my rooms to 2 on during night time.. 1 on during the day. i think it will even it out more.