What's new

Am I Crazy? Would This Work? (solventless hash oil)

S

Space Ghost

ok, here's my idea... In essence it would be a method for condensing and collecting cannabis vapor (like from a vaporizer) into a usable form (oil)

So what one would need is an industrial-sized vaporizer, by this i mean an extremely high capacity crucible and a larger than normal heating element and air pump. Then rather than filling a bag with vapor and inhaling like normal, you would route the vapor into small gauge tubing (maybe 1/4 or 1/8") and then have that tubing be really long and coil it in an ice water bath (maybe a large modified cooler?) to hasten the condensation process.

So now we've got a tube with vapor condensing into oily deposits on the inner walls of the tubing and with a strong air pump, the globs of oil would be pushed towards the end of the tubing. Or you could even push the oil out with a snake device that has the same diameter of the inside of the tubing (but this might not be necessary)

At the end of the tube (once we figure out the right length) just have a dish to collect the drippings and BAM! a safe way to make oil and with no possibility of contamination by denaturing agents, the only thing that would touch the raw cannabis would be hot air....

What do you think? plausible? :tiphat:

SG

Stress_test

I'm always here when I'm not someplace else
Veteran
It might work with some modification.

I don't know how much vaporized weed really has oil in it. But you might be able to spray a steam mist through the vapor and recapture it easier. Then just evap the h2o off.

S

Space Ghost

well the reason I got the idea is that there is a short length of tube between my vaporizer (herbal aire) and the bag and beads of what I can only describe as oil build up, and when I clean it with everclear and drink the resulting concoction it is devastatingly strong (and not because of the alcohol, I only drink about a tablespoon of the stuff). So why not collect those beads of "oil" for smoking or eating/drinking?

G

greenmatter

i think your biggest set back would be keeping your condensing tube clear ..the trick would be cooling the vapor enough so the oil condenses but does not clog the tube ... gonna be tough to pull off IMHO .. good idea though

H

hisser

wouldn't distillation be easier and cheaper to do? just like essential oils are created...

GanjaPharma

interesting idea , I use a vriptech vaporizer (forced hot air) and the glass stem collects a golden oil that smokes and tastes a good as my amber glass. i assume it is condensed vapor, i noticed it builds up quickly if there is ice in the chamber. love to work at a vapor distillation factory....wonder how many tons it would take to make an oz of oil that way.

That's an interesting idea. Basically "distilled cannabis". But I always thought THC breaks down faster under high temperatures. I wonder if "burning" the THC twice would have a negative effect on potency (once to distill it, and again to smoke it).

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ok, here's my idea... In essence it would be a method for condensing and collecting cannabis vapor (like from a vaporizer) into a usable form (oil)

So what one would need is an industrial-sized vaporizer, by this i mean an extremely high capacity crucible and a larger than normal heating element and air pump. Then rather than filling a bag with vapor and inhaling like normal, you would route the vapor into small gauge tubing (maybe 1/4 or 1/8") and then have that tubing be really long and coil it in an ice water bath (maybe a large modified cooler?) to hasten the condensation process.

So now we've got a tube with vapor condensing into oily deposits on the inner walls of the tubing and with a strong air pump, the globs of oil would be pushed towards the end of the tubing. Or you could even push the oil out with a snake device that has the same diameter of the inside of the tubing (but this might not be necessary)

At the end of the tube (once we figure out the right length) just have a dish to collect the drippings and BAM! a safe way to make oil and with no possibility of contamination by denaturing agents, the only thing that would touch the raw cannabis would be hot air....

What do you think? plausible? :tiphat:

SG

Yup, it works? A little messy to collect without a solvent wash.

With a solvent wash, it is easy to collect and makes a killer oral med, which is what we have done with it so far.

I have yet to try fractionating it, which should ostensibly be as easy as controling the vaporization temperature.

Without fractionating it, or sufficient condensing surface, the lighter vapor point constituets appear to be lost first, leaving an oil with strong pain relieving and couch lock capabilities, but lower head or euphoric effect when vaporized or smoked.

So far we have only played with a Volcano, but I have some thoughts on a more complete system that I will share once it gains enough priority to reach the top of the project list.

So far my thoughts are that a chilled vertical plate laybrinth would condense out the vapor from a source similar to a Volcano, and drain it into a collection pan. That that didn't drain could be washed off, if the plates were easily removable.

Just a thought.............

The key to such a process is the condensing and collection method.

Last edited:

purple_man

Veteran
hey fambly!

i guess "steam distillation" is possible with weed... if i remember right, there was a guy, who claimed to be getting some nice oil by vapor distill...

like grey wolf stated, seems like the "high" inducing compounds are most hard to be captured... nearly all folks who tried smoking some volcano "residue/oil" reported on the rather body centered experience... similar to folks who vape their weed with volcano, and smoke the leftovers... the leftovers induce a couchlock style high... seems like the combustion and vaporization points of diff. components (terpenes, cannabinoids, ...) lets some compounds "survive" that type of "extraction", while other components get lost due to their higher volatile properties...

my bigest "concern" would be the "stability" of the "extract"... similar to making oil, it's nearly impossible to capture or keep the lemonin terpenes due to their low boiling point...

blessss

Stress_test

I'm always here when I'm not someplace else
Veteran
Actually you have an interesting idea. I think though that you would reach your goal faster if you back up a step.

Instead of collecting the oils that remain in the chamber or pipe; you would also want to condense the vapors that are being collected in the bag, since those vapors are the concentrate of the THC.

So again the vapor spray to recapture the oils and THC immediately after it is vaporized would probably be the most efficient.

When you distill something, it goes from liquid to gas, then is condensed back to liquid. When alcohol turns into a gas, it's still alcohol. Smoke, on the other hand, is an aerosol of particulate matter suspended in a gas. You can't turn a solid into a liquid through distillation, and I don't even think BHO qualifies as a liquid to begin with.

Honey oil = solids dissolved in your choice of solvent, then solidified again through evaporation of the solvent.

Feel free to refute this.

comphashon

I remember there was a thread on O.G. hash forums and it had pics ( anyone else remember?? )... anyway I can't remember the details ( to much rosin ) but he somehow got the oil to just drip out of the tube ( heat/ pressure ???)... anyway it is totally possible but I don't have the pounds to blow on trying!...

I have smoked vape oil from the volcano and it tasted great ( I never go above 5.5 tho )... and it seems to collect most on the /\ shaped screw??? ( collection method idea??? )...

It's like the rosin but from plant material to start instead of hash...

If you really want to make a lot of this stuff have a volcano party, never go above 5.5, and vape a few pounds with your friends!!! they will love you for it and you will get your solventless hashoil!!!... Have your cake and eat it too ( pound cake lol )

c

jump117

Veteran
I use 190 EtOH to remove reclaim. Solventless way is also possible.
I've seen youtube video on the Tokecity, where the resin condensate removed from the Kut-Vape curve glass tube of heating it by a gas toarch,
the reclaim melts on the heat, oozes and drips from the tube to collecting bowl.

Andyo

Veteran
wouldn't distillation be easier and cheaper to do? just like essential oils are created...

Yes your almost right,bro
You need a solvent with a highr evaporative temperature than the said cannabis oils .Toluene would do it.
And idealy reflux for 1 hr and distil under vacumn so as to keep the temperatures low.
you also keep the solvent with this technique you can remove the chlorophyl from the left behind toluene solvent with a couple of water washes .A