What's new

Fertilizer for mini roses

K

ka0tik_kreati0n

Bloom or veg fertilizer?! I just bought these mini roses & want to keep them alive & healthy, going to transplant because they have just blossomed.....

redspaghetti

love machine
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey missy,

One of my good friend love mini roses and i got some of these info, hope they help ya.

1.What are miniature roses?
-Miniature roses are true roses that are bred to small compact plants with small flowers in many types and colors and small in-scale foliage.

2.What was the original mini rose?
-The original variety is still in existence. Rosa roulette was discovered growing in a window box in Switzerland in 1919. Anything earlier is unknown.

3.What is a climbing miniature rose?
-A miniature with a strong vertical growth habit that can be trained to grow against a small trellis. They make a great show of color in the garden.

4.Are miniature roses delicate and do they have to be pampered?
-Absolutely not. Minis are tough and easy to grow. They are profuse blooming and more winter hardy, in the ground, than hybrid tea roses.

5.What is a miniflora?
-It is a new classification from the American Rose Society to cover a number of wonderful roses that breeders have developed. They are larger in bloom size and generally in plant size. They make excellent garden and landscape plants. Height is usually 2 ½ feet to 4 feet.

6.What is a hanging basket miniature rose?
-It is a mini rose with a spreading growth habit with canes that drape over the edge of the pot. They make a wonderful hanging basket and provide great color and interest. Unlike fuchsias and geraniums they will last for years with proper care.

7.How do I fertilize mini roses?
-Our recommendation is to use a good liquid rose or garden fertilizer at ½ strength.

8.Why not use granular fertilizer?
-Nothing is wrong with granular fertilizer except it is too easy to over fertilize. Liquid fertilizers, mixed according to directions, are easier to control.

9.How much should I water my Miniature roses?
-Roses love water. As long as you have good drainage in the garden, 1 - 2 inches a week will make them happy and productive. If your rose is in a pot give enough water to keep the soil moist but not soggy. This means in the hot summer (90 degrees) water daily. I usually fill the pots to the rim and when it starts to run out the drain holes at the bottom I go to the next plant.

10.What is a micro-mini?
-One of the smallest of mini roses with perfect small blooms sized from ¼ inch up to 1 inch in with small foliage to match and heights from 6 to 12 inches.

11.Are your miniature roses virus-free?
-Yes, all of our miniature roses are virus-free and own-root.

12.How far apart should I plant my mini roses?
-It depends on the ultimate size of the mini roses. I recommend 12” minimum for micro miniatures, 15” inches for small to medium sized minis and about 2 feet or more for the larger ones. Miniflora’s should be planted 2 ½ to 3 or more feet apart.

13.What do I do about suckers on my miniature rose?
-Minis don’t produce suckers as they are not budded or grafted. What you see is new basal growth which is just more of the same rose you already have. You can leave it to grow or prune it back or out to your own preference.

14.Can I prune my mini rose in summer to shape them?
-Yes. Miniatures respond well to pruning and shaping.

15.When should I prune my mini roses?
-In very late winter or very early spring just before they are putting out new growth.

16.How do I prune them?
-Give them, what I call a haircut, which is taking off the top one third to one half of the growth and shaping the plant the way you like it.

17.Can I get by without spraying mini roses for disease?
-It depends on where you live and how much perfection you demand. In California, Oregon and Washington miniatures usually do not need to be sprayed although you may get some blemishes on the leaves or mildew in late spring that really does no long term damage and you may get some minor blackspot. On the other hand if you live in “blackspot alley” the south and parts of the east you probably will need to do some spraying.

18.What about diseases and sprays on miniature roses?
-Mini roses are susceptible to the same disease as large roses in varying degrees. We test and select our mini rose varieties with disease resistance in mind. Check with your local nursery for rose sprays used in your area.

19.What soil should I use to pot my minis into?
-I suggest a good potting sold from your local nursery (there are many packaged soils on the market) and then if you have good garden soil mix the two 50-50. If your garden soil is poor use all potting mix.

20.Why use garden soil in pots?
-It has micro nutrients and minerals that the potting mix may not have and with its added weight it provides stability.

21.Can I use peat moss with my garden soil?
-Yes, though if it ever dries out you will find it hard to get it to hold water unless you saturate it very well.

22.When should I move my mini rose to a larger pot?
-In the late fall or winter is best when the miniature rose is dormant or semi-dormant. Remove part or all of the soil and replace to with new to invigorate your minis.

23.Can I repot in the summer?
-Yes. They just won’t get as much benefit of the new soil. Remove only a little of the old soil in order to protect the actively growing roots.

24.Can I grow miniature roses indoors?
-You can, but I strongly recommend against it as they suffer due to lack of enough light and humidity.

25.How do minis do in pots outside?
-Outstandingly. It is best to use the small or medium varieties. I recommend an 8” pot or larger (6” is fine for micro minis). After a couple of years repot to the next larger pot size with fresh soil.

Cheers,

Red.
:dance013:

X

xinsanewickedx

thanks for the info red..i transplanted them for kk and gave them a little superthrive ,it seemed to help up til we forgot them out side over night.all blooms were pretty much dead.so they were removed and plant is looking good.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
bone meal is what most people swear by for roses. they want P to flower well just like weed.

too much nitrogen will make them more attractive to pests like greenfly/blackfly etc.

V.

kava

also try a little worm castings this will help keep some of the bugs away from them. I dont have any problems with white flies, aphids, Jap. beetles,or potatoe bug in my garden. mother loves castings for her christmas cactus keeps it blooming from oct till spring time (multiple blooms)

Latest posts

Latest posts