What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

120 acres in upstate ny, tell me what to grow.

geoluv

my parents just bought a 120 acre farm in upstate new york an hour west of Albany.

they want it to breed german shepherds and retire, but they told me i can grow whatever i want on it. my heads already spinning as to what i should grow and the equipment i would need. i live in nyc at the moment, so a crop that doesn't require huge amounts of daily care is best, basically something i can just go check on every second or third week.

i was thinking apples, grapes, or strawberries. preferably strawberries.

what is the best way to water an entire field of plants? there is a stream that runs diagonally through the middle of the entire property, also a lake 1/4 of a mile north. the property also has an artesian well and 5 natural springs.

id really like something i can do mostly by myself, the first year i wont have much to pay people for help. i'm not going to get crazy, maybe just a few high tunnels to start. i heard with most crops at that latitude you have to either use a high tunnel or lay down plastic.

my parents already purchased a 25 thousand dollar kabota, and it was used. slammin' deal though, only had 50 hours as a snowplow.

the former farmer used it as a dairy farm but he also said he made 100,000 dollars a year under the table selling the hay that grew in the open fields to people in long island with smaller farms. as you can guess i have dollar signs in my eyes, but i'm a novice. help me choose an easy crop.

i did some research and have decided that organic heirloom veggies are my best bet, but its too late in the season.

you should see the names of the different strains of veggies and fruits you can get for commercial growing. the melons have very weed-sounding strain names like "early sweet" and "sugar baby".

NoSaint

Ask the former farmer for his hay connection and do that. A 100,000 a year for hay is quite a haul in my opinion for overgrown grass...

Can I bowhunt your land?....lol

my parents just bought a 120 acre farm in upstate new york an hour west of Albany.

they want it to breed german shepherds and retire, but they told me i can grow whatever i want on it. my heads already spinning as to what i should grow and the equipment i would need. i live in nyc at the moment, so a crop that doesn't require huge amounts of daily care is best, basically something i can just go check on every second or third week.

i was thinking apples, grapes, or strawberries. preferably strawberries.

what is the best way to water an entire field of plants? there is a stream that runs diagonally through the middle of the entire property, also a lake 1/4 of a mile north. the property also has an artesian well and 5 natural springs.

id really like something i can do mostly by myself, the first year i wont have much to pay people for help. i'm not going to get crazy, maybe just a few high tunnels to start. i heard with most crops at that latitude you have to either use a high tunnel or lay down plastic.

my parents already purchased a 25 thousand dollar kabota, and it was used. slammin' deal though, only had 50 hours as a snowplow.

the former farmer used it as a dairy farm but he also said he made 100,000 dollars a year under the table selling the hay that grew in the open fields to people in long island with smaller farms. as you can guess i have dollar signs in my eyes, but i'm a novice. help me choose an easy crop.

i did some research and have decided that organic heirloom veggies are my best bet, but its too late in the season.

you should see the names of the different strains of veggies and fruits you can get for commercial growing. the melons have very weed-sounding strain names like "early sweet" and "sugar baby".

Yep, then those are what bring allegations of tax fraud. I didn't know hay could bring in that sort of money. Probably so many co-ops, things slip the books.

geoluv

i told my parents to get the hay client list as soon as i heard that, STAT!! who knows the farmer could have just been blowing smoke but long island probably has the highest hay prices in the country so im not putting it down. maybe he got 100,000 on his best year. there are farmers that want 5 year contracts to work our land just to bail hay too, so im guessing it makes money. something is weird about this hay thing, haha. the dude is dying of lung cancer so if the irs wants to go after him, go for it. hehe.

btw, my mums has worked for big 4 accounting firms since they were the big 6 or whatever, so we keep everything legal as hell, which is why there will be no weed planting hempluvr, sorry. even the kabota was purchased tax free for the dog buisness. if anyone wants a 100% legitimatly german german shepherd tell me. we have a brand new litter.

lordbudly

Veteran
Id split it up 50/50 corn/hay, sell the corn to ethanol plants if ya can or even to farmers as livestock feed, along with the hay, grow a couple weed plants in there, if anyone sees em, it must of been those rascally kids again! *shakes fist in the air like an old guy*:joint:

Gather ye rosebuds while ye may.

Gather ye rosebuds while ye may.

Sitting on Arkansas Grass. Make Hay while the sun shines.Night time is for Vaping.

NoSaint

I'm thinking that farmer was bullshitting. Hay's usually for feeding horses and cattle right? How much cattle is in NYC?
Not much landscaping use for it their... Seems weird to me

Prof Sublime

Hard working pothead
Veteran
I'm thinking that farmer was bullshitting. Hay's usually for feeding horses and cattle right? How much cattle is in NYC?
Not much landscaping use for it their... Seems weird to me

I think youd be surpised how many horses are in NYC.......

reddy1

ICMag Donor
sounds like you'll be living the dream. is this going to be a full time endeavor. how much can you commit? crazy ideas i've have because i personally wouldn't want to grow corn, hay or soy beans.....

see if the saffron crocus is winter hardy enough for your zone. very expensive hand harvested crop.
hybrid poplar tree farm. fastest growing tree. they grow 10 feet first 2 years from a cutting. you can sell a tree for $10 wholesale. also can be used for bio-fuel.
a bulb farm. buy bulbs in bulk from holland and make your money back in 3 years. charge people to look at it. lol.
grow petunias in a greenhouse and make hanging baskets that cost you less than $1 and sell for $15-20.

long term...
christmas tree farm. 5 years and $50 a tree.
potted dwarf japanese maples are expensive, hundreds of dollars.
plant heirloom apple trees. NY is #3 for apples produced. lots of commercial variety's do well there.
wine is a growing industry.

see what the local "foody" restaurants are looking for as to local produce they will buy from you. if you want to do the produce thing,, check out the chefs garden website, they are the premier specialty produce company in the US, grown out of Ohio. http://www.chefs-garden.com/

geoluv

i did some readin' 'bout hay. turns out making 100 thousand a year is totally plausible, if not more! i didnt even factor in long island prices wich i think are rediculously high. and long island is not new york city.

and as far as reddy1s questions go; i can commit full time if i want, especialy if i can make hundreds of thousands of dollars growing something as simple as freakin' hay! i can commit some change but not tooo too much before i have to start recouping the investment.

i like the japanese maple tree idea. i looked it up and it turns out there was one in my front yard the entire time i was growing up. the leaf shape is very much like weed. ill have to do some research on the japanese maple tree market.

anything ideas on what i could plant NOW this late in the season? how many acres do you think i could farm myself with the kabota and occasional help from a few people? next year ill probably try three diferent crops in addition to the hay.

the_man

throw down some corn you have plenty of time easy to do

I wish I had 120 acres

hanging baskets start at 20 to 45 in my area

there is a old guy i know who has 6 huge greenhouses sells baskets and flats

he didn't even open this year said he was taking this year off

I want a big greenhouse so bad

Secrets to a Successful Greenhouse and Business sold out until july it has all the contacts in it you will ever need

http://www.bananaplants.net/sectosucgree.html

hotHPS

Well i would grow taters,turnips,leek and carrots. All nice, easy, non demanding and delicious. Harvest, chop it all up, slam it in a bag and sell,sell,sell.

all depends on your soil and how early frost is.. also are you trying to grow something that requires and intense amount of labor to harvest and plant? ie vegetables ... or are you trying to grow something like say blueberry patches (acidic soil) or obviously apples. would be great. Wine in upstate is getting bigger every year but.. you need to be near a body of water and have a good slope.. ie fingerlakes.

I would plant x acres christmas trees, x acres apples, leave 10 acres free, and plant the rest hay if you get the connect. are you interested in animals? if figured you were interested in keepingin low maintenance.

geoluv

^ i do want to keep it simple. ill be planting and picking it myself. my parents don't want to plop down the dough for the bailing and farming equipment until i can prove to them i actually know what i'm doing.

ill probably try to plant a few acres of corn this year since it doesn't seem like its too late. i can plant it and water it with a few sprinkler stands and chop it and shuck it all by hand.

the wine idea is cool, there is a stream and natural springs on the property. the fields aren't flat they are actually slopped a little. the soils ph is fine, nutrient levels should be good, but its kind of rocky because of the area.

belfast

goji berries or wolfberries
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfberry

img_1052.jpg

img_4763.jpg

Consider doing a course in horticulture or getting some book on the subject.

Gardening in Upstate New York
http://www.rochestergardening.com/

http://www.rochestergardening.com/sitemap.html

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/upstateny/

Native Plants – Upstate NY — Cold Climate Gardening
http://www.coldclimategardening.com/upstate-ny/native-plants/

UPSTATE GARDENERS' JOURNAL ONLINE
http://www.upstategardenersjournal.com/

geoluv

^ i wouldnt call it truly upstate, its in the middle. i would have loved to live closer to lake placid but its better to only be 2-3 hours from killington, vt... and nyc.

Last edited:
A

alpinestar

just because you're in the legal plants grow section, it doesn't mean there isnt any security risk

this is still a ganja site that leo cruise

id remove the thread... too much personal info