What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Costa Rica east coast

Sampled the local sativa in april 2005; and can highly recomend costa rica on the carribean side if you like to wake and bake, do a little bird watching, then go diving with a wide variety of neon charged fish. What a beautiful forested area! Long ago, local plantations brought over jamaicans as labour and the east coast has benefited from rasta and psuedo rasta ever since. Extremely nice raggae party scene down by the border with panama. Just as long as you dont mind a place that is a little rough around the edges(lots of poor people, lots of squaters being run off when we were there, plenty of things and people broken--- the vandals have definitly taken the handle), you can go tropical on the semi-cheap--especially if your comand of spanish is strong.
Dont be misled by the guidebooks: we went to several places where spanish was very neccissary. But back to the subject of cannabis:
Obtained surprisingly strong up sativa for the steep price of $50 americanski per ounce. It was horribly handled, pressed into a brick, almost black, and reminded me of jamaican I used to get in the late 70's. This particular shit smelled and tasted like the worst mexican brick weed; then, 15 minutes later, jumped on ya bowlegged and snatched ya bald. Especially hilarious were the inexperienced smokers who tried it and wound up just looking at the parrots and toucans. If I called the various haze ive tried a '10', this would have rated about an 8. What the seed venders call a 'soaring' high-- very nice for snorkeling but a bit dodgy if its been a while since your last stone. We went in on a full ounce and just gave the leftovers back('tip') to our supplier when it was time to go home to the police-state that was once america.
From this piece of brick I extracted only 9 uncrushed seeds. All others were flatened by whatever press they had used. Got zero germination out of nine seeds--- I was pissed. The plan had been to do two crosses, one with zamal, one with white widow, and see what those tica genetics would do.
Can highly recomend the wierd little criminal towns on the coast if you are young at heart and want romance but have to say, they have an AIDS problem and a crack problem like everyone else. No problem with pot though-- every where you look at say eight in the morning, many many many are stoned on that evil weed. To score, talk to the rasta on the corner and dont let him walk off with your cash.
The jungle is awesome as can be. Yes, our party found snakes( blotched palm viper, hognose viper, and yellow-phased horned viper), but they werent aggresive and were cute as pie. The hognose was coloured exactly like the leaf liter on the forest floor which gave us all the shakes, but when we found her she was just sunning on a mossy rock. If you like exotic birds, this is the place to go(and get stoned). The best bird watching in the ten years i've been into it. If you've ever had a fresh-water aquarium you must see the streams; you'll recognize most of the fish right away. The neat thing there is seeing them interact between species-each pool creates a cool political pecking order that you could watch all day(and get stoned).
Tips: Dont confuse the yuca plant with fat-leaved indica. Stuff a towel under the rooms door at night to keep scorpions out. If you find one(our first one was 4"long next to the bed at 3 in the very stoned morning), dont panic, it really is about as bad as a bee sting (yea one of our party didnt shake her shoes out in the morning and got nailed on the foot). Respect snakes; they have 17 dangerous ones and several more poisonous but not a danger to humans. Bring your own mask and snorkel--fins are too hard to pack and you dont really need them if you read beaches well. The best fish viewing is in one to three feet of water, just hover over some structure-coral or stone and you will see more colours than the first time you took acid. Dont even listen to any sales pitch for condos or lots, all things are padded for tourists; lubrication happens all over the world. Dont stop if privateers seem to block the road-- we didnt get robbed--just pitched over priced shmit aimed at naive tourists. When getting stoned, hide in the shade-- its illegal and no matter how dark your skin you will burn at six degrees from the equator. We saw white people burned badly in under an hour of direct exposure to the sun!
Have fun, relax and be friendly and street-smart. And remember, all signs are approximate yet everyone speaks with bold assurance usally contradicting the sign they are standing under-- whether the sign tells distance or time or hours of operation.

Almost forgot, I asked my nicaraguan connection in costa rica about the strongest weed he had ever smoked. He said it was columbian, sold loose in the form of green buds with red hairs all over. Locally it was called 'red point', but keep in mind this conversation was in spanish, so you could also translate it as 'red dot'. Next time I'm gonna get me some.
Correction: it was not a horned viper(not found there), but , rather, an eyelash viper, in golden phase. These snakes come in 3 paint-jobs: blue, mottled green, and very brilliant yellow. Problem is, several locals are bit every year by the yellow ones, because they lurk in banana bunches waiting for birds; locals picking the fruit dont notice cause the color blends with the fruit---literally deadly species but the one our party found was just chillin on a vine minding it's own bidniz. Dont fear them! You are a fierce warrior whose heart is pure and you have the strength of ten men!!!

Last edited:

GrowingHigher

sounds sweet, though isn't the penalty for possesion in costa rica 10 years?? is it not often enforced?

ill be going to the carribian side of panama in a few weeks and have been nervouse about the weed situation.

Yes, tourists get busted in costa rica and it's something like 8 or 10 years. Also, we saw several prisons(4) in our wanderings, and they didn't seem chummy at all. I talked to locals who claimed that the typical bust is of a north american or european tourist for posession. Locals dont have money and seem to not get arrested for pot. Therefore, one must hide when smoking(jungle+green T shirt)--don't smoke on the beach, retreat into the shade. While camping, stash the little kit away from camp under leaf-litter. While it is illegal, in the southeast corner of the country, everyone is stoned. In town or in a resort you see stoned people everywhere but you dont see anyone smoking(if you know what I mean). Also, while traveling internally in costa rica, ran into a drug enforcement roadblock while holding that dark weed and the aluminum-foil pipe. No sweat at all- they were permanently looking for drug traffickers- folks moving drugs in quantity up from panama-- I , on the other hand was an innocent tourist in a typical mercedes bus-- they waved us through. Costa Rica has some nice sativa but is NOT a smoking paradise--keep your guard up (embrace the noia). Can't speak for panama, went to the border but did not enter; however smoke availability(esp in the southeast of costa rica) was very high. Check out manzinillo preserve in the southeast and tortuguero preserve in the northeast. Great snorkeling down manzinillo way...

GrowingHigher

thanks for the response. i guess ill just have to be careful, im just woried about getting it i guess.

can't wait to go...

and yeah ill be near there jackbaybeh

G

Costa Rica

Costa Rica

I was there for my very first trip to the Carrabean. Great Country . Loved it. I did bring a lil bit of SAGE and some Hash but had to buy some . I'm sure glad to hear you were able to find something worth smoking. Keep on traveling. Ok i had to edit this post as i was wasted on some SD bx2.5 and got all mixed up. Anyways Yeh Costa Rica was awesome they had ppl with some nice weed in Jaco and all the Valonoes was awesome. I did the Caravan tours and it frikn rocked. Anyways im off.
See you around the world
Jubei

G

Smuggling

Smuggling

I always smuggle some stuff with me to every country i go to except NL. As everyone knows its hard to find good weed so i always bmow. I have a vacuum Sealer like what alot of ppl used for entry into the 420cup. Just vacuum seal up your stash 2 times and crouch if for the flight. Not for all ppl and i would never recommend it to someone after what is happening in Bali i wouldn't recommend anyone to smuggle anything anywhere. But well i really like my weed and hash and hate trying to find some when i travel. Good Luck Jubei

G

Traveling

Traveling

Good deal just never come home with any. If you got some seeds maybe but otherwise ship the seeds and never bring any weed home. Good Luck and let me know how the trip was.
Jubei