What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lots of weed today tastes straight up nasty

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
@Douglas.Curtis I think you are missing my point a little bit about personal preference. I was in no way saying there was anything wrong with his Tangie. He loved it and he'd gotten good feedback from some people. He's been growing for 20 years (on a fairly small scale) and knows how to grow.

Myself, and I would venture to guess the OP, like a more old-school smell and taste. When I open the grinder, I don't really want to smell perfume, or artificial fruit as more than a hint of the spectrum.
I find a lot of modern hybrids seem to be specifically bred for a unique smell and taste, rather than necessarily a good smell and taste. Enough people seem to enjoy that to make it viable, but it just isn't my personal preference.
Interesting. The Tangie must be very unique then.

Now that I think about it, I haven't been sampling the 'strain of the day' for the last 7-8 years, and very rarely hit a dispensary. All the genetics I have, and are exposed to, are not from recent stuff.

I'll pay more attention to this moving forward. Thanks for bringing it up. :tiphat:

mack 10

Veteran
Are there Any terps on the market that are actually cannabis derived?
Actually from that strain?

For instance, I saw some GG#4 terps,
They had a faint lemon smell...
If you know the Gorilla,
It is not lemon in any way.

Take that Sour D terps just posted,
I highly doubt it is made from even cannabis.

People are mixing things trying to match terp profiles.
The whole thing is a con.

When some real deal Cannabis terps
Hit the scene, let me no.

I just want people to know what they are actually getting.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
The whole adding terps conversation has nothing to do with growing or breeding or extracting cannabis. It is only a means of trying to fix an inferior product that should have been avoided by doing proper breeding, growing and extracting of cannabis.

I actually get a bit offended when people talk about adding terps as if as a grower and hobby breeder I am supposed to somehow relate what I produce with that whatever it is? Frankendab bullshit?

hyposomniac

Someone gifted me a candle once - berry cheesecake. Smelled very chemical and make me feel sick to my stomach.
Couple years ago I got a bag of 'herb' smelled just like that.
Burned and tasted like shit.

No fucking way that's natural.
I swear I've seen 100x more vile, suspect weed in the past few years than in the past 20 before that.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Someone gifted me a candle once - berry cheesecake. Smelled very chemical and make me feel sick to my stomach.
Couple years ago I got a bag of 'herb' smelled just like that.
Burned and tasted like shit.

No fucking way that's natural.
I swear I've seen 100x more vile, suspect weed in the past few years than in the past 20 before that.

Look on youtube at some of the huge grows. Some many acres under glass. Absolutely beautiful until you start to wonder how they fight pests or mildew in a perpetual grow that size. Most growers I have met will not sacrifice a small crop. Money is more important. Now go down the list of every single way to fix a pest or mildew and wonder. Why, why does this weed taste that way? So sad.

I do not feel bad for pesticide farmers who go broke because their herb sucks. Not a bit.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
When I was in Honduras, their "Trash" was simply amazing. Beyond clean, great taste, just good frigging weed. My "dealer" thought he'd do me a solid by bringing me the good stuff. It was Columbian, dark brown and smelled like someone had been picking their arse when they bagged it. I wouldn't touch it let alone smoke it. He thought I was crazy. To each his own I guess.

clearheaded

like others said overfeed with no cure. alot of folks prefer fresh not truly cured buds as they have more monoterps. but have to be flushed to smoke nicely.

What likely is more the case is 'kush'. majority of everything is based on that and i agree most OGs or crosses tend to be harsh. 1 reason is high pinene and i am guessing from myrcene aswell having natural harshness. "lung expanding" lol its like folks at the start of vaping wanted strong throat hit to get off smokes. somewhat of a phycosymatic reaction like strong tasting cough syrup working better when same drugs can be taken in a tablet.

of course 1 way to tell about extra sugars and nutrients is black ash. if burns white likely just the varietys.

some varietys are very perfumey and i for one LOVE when get a nice rose taste. pretty rare but def not artificially added. remember blueberry is based off of the "floral line" of DJs.

anyway, yes terps can be harsh. 1 part of why truely cured buds are less harsh(less bitey terps liek pinen), but if truelly cured they should also be less green which is NOT what we see in todays herb. perhaps a small reduction in sugar levels but not chlorophyll decrease liek true cures(also would lower mono or lighter terps).

Ready4

Veteran
Bad weed = picked to early, dried way too quick, pumping full of garbage ferts, some bug bombed mite droppings. Wet trim and drying as fast as possible, is the number one cause of bad tasting.

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Are there Any terps on the market that are actually cannabis derived?
Actually from that strain?

For instance, I saw some GG#4 terps,
They had a faint lemon smell...
If you know the Gorilla,
It is not lemon in any way.

Take that Sour D terps just posted,
I highly doubt it is made from even cannabis.

People are mixing things trying to match terp profiles.
The whole thing is a con.

When some real deal Cannabis terps
Hit the scene, let me no.

I just want people to know what they are actually getting.

I went to see So7oman last week. He's got so called cannabis Derived terpenes. He's got vegetable derived stuff too.

People Wass saying that they make a big difference to extracts & joints..

They were pretty crap all of them. Horrible effects, most made me have a foggy head & feel like a comedown of a crack.. Nothing like weed..

I have some canna terpenes I bought back with me to add to my extracts to test out..

The cheese terpene isn't soluble in water like the phenol inside the glandular head.. The extracted terpenes are made in the separation extraction process. The lipids & wax & the phenols & terpenes are separated from the main cannabinoid Isolate

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I went to see So7oman last week. He's got so called cannabis Derived terpenes. He's got vegetable derived stuff too.

People Wass saying that they make a big difference to extracts & joints..

They were pretty crap all of them. Horrible effects, most made me have a foggy head & feel like a comedown of a crack.. Nothing like weed..

I have some canna terpenes I bought back with me to add to my extracts to test out..

The cheese terpene isn't soluble in water like the phenol inside the glandular head.. The extracted terpenes are made in the separation extraction process. The lipids & wax & the phenols & terpenes are separated from the main cannabinoid Isolate

Look for a high terp strain. Grow it organically and roll fat yummy spliffs to share.

Hydro8

Most all the dispensary stuff usually lacks good nose and taste. The big growers usually don't have the time or care to harvest dry and cure the plants like small growers do. Big grower usually just chop a room and process it. Small growers check each plant harvest it when it is perfect, let it dry just right start the curing process burp the jars like babies.

I like stuff that smells nice, but to me it is all about the high..

I have noticed that your average consumer first looks at the buds(visual) then smells(nose) the two big factors that sell cannabis in a competitive market. Bag/jar appeal & nose/smell

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
In a lot of places the kiddies have never smoked nice organic only charred/burned early cut hydro.

Its always easier for business if the consumer doesnt have a clue what they are doing and just turn up with fist fulls of cash..

Also if all the bud is mediocre you ensure people buy the whole menu just to try the various weak terps and dont get too wrecked, or wrecked at all.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I have noticed that your average consumer first looks at the buds(visual) then smells(nose) the two big factors that sell cannabis in a competitive market. Bag/jar appeal & nose/smell

I'm not the average consumer, being a grower and all, but when I'm at a dispensary I absolutely make my decisions based on aroma. You make a good point with the bag appeal, but honestly I think that everyone should be factoring the smells into their purchase decisions.

There's a science to it, even when people don't know it and think they're just "trusting their intuition" or whatever... Those terpenoids go straight into the brain and affect you, telling you at least on a subconscious level that there will be an effect on your mood in that particular direction when you smoke it or whatever.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Synthetic grow was not good until i use special flush extras, made to this.
Check the link in my sig. There's some esoteric info in there which explains why you had to use a special flush. A slight change up in your reservoir management and you'll see some big changes. You'll save money, and you'll also see a quality jump, even with only a 5 day flush. :)

When people sample my best runs, it's difficult for me to convince them it's 100% hydro. ;)

troutman

Seed Whore
Get rid of the chemical fertilizers, go organic, don't overfeed and make sure you give only clean water for the last 3 weeks.

'Boogieman'

I don't think terps were added and the ash does burn white, it has a blueberry menthol smell but tastes like berry perfume.