What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Disable Java NOW!

Skip

Veteran
The US Dept. of Homeland Security has just issued a warning to all those who use java on their computer browsers.

The latest version has a serious security flaw! This is just a TEMPORARY condition until Oracle secures and updates their java code.
NOTE: This is not about Javascript! That is a different program and necessary to run a lot of things, even here on icmag.

Read here:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

I've decided to leave the chat open for now. It's up to each of you to ensure your security from hackers.
Turns out our chat only uses java on the server side, so you can disable java in your browser and still chat! :)

To disable in Firefox go to tools/addons and find the java entry and disable it.

Last edited:

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good heads up. I havent updated my java in awhile am i safe if it an older version?

FOE20

Parthenocarpe Diem
ICMag Donor
Veteran
and has allot of caffeine and can make ya jumpy...heh...thnx for lookin out Skip..
Always K-line Auto-udates...pic n choose...peace
FOE20

G

gloryoskie

This happens more often than I care to remember. I disabled Java in Firefox a couple months ago, auto upgrades to Firefox enabled the Java. Heads up, better check it yourself.

Damn.

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
NoScript browser add-on. Java-block on-demand. Get it.

And thanks for sounding the alarm, Skip. This is important for people to know.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
The chat applet needs JavaScript to run. Or at least this is what it is trying to tell me when I try to go into a chatroom with JavaScript disabled.

This application requires JavaScript. Your browser either does not support JavaScript or scripts are being blocked.

Later/edit: JAVASCRIPT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH JAVA! READ BELOW FOR MORE INFO!

Last edited:

MIway

Veteran
Dept of homeland security... Just so nazi-esque. Cant help it...they say its bad, i figure it must be world peace in a bikini. There must be a conspiracy in it all...lol

RB56

Veteran
The chat applet needs JavaScript to run. Or at least this is what it is trying to tell me when I try to go into a chatroom with JavaScript disabled.

This application requires JavaScript. Your browser either does not support JavaScript or scripts are being blocked.
JavaScript is a different thing altogether. Just a confusing name. Java is a full programming language with hooks into the OS and hardware - the reason it can be dangerous. JavaScript is much more contained in the browser and mostly deals with little niceties like client side data validation and the like. JavaScript won't show up under installed applications. Java will and that's the one to watch.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I disabled javascript and I got to oracle website to check and it said I have no java installed? still not good?

RB56

Veteran
I disabled javascript and I got to oracle website to check and it said I have no java installed? still not good?
That's probably good, but JavaScript doesn't need to be disabled. If you're running Windows you can go into control panel and look under installed programs (add/remove programs) to see if Java is there.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Thanks for clearing that out, guys! It will probably help others too!
I just tought Java is the software that runs scripts called.. well, Java scripts. Now I know that's NOT true, and they have nothing much in common.

I just checked and I have Java installed, but have not run it for a long time, I get a warning / prompt to allow it each time it needs to run. I don't remember allowing it before, and I'll certainly won't do that now.

And a funny fact, here's the description of Java on their site:

Why download Java?

Java technology allows you to work and play in a secure computing environment.

Yeah, right!

ozman

Thats what I think to...

Thats what I think to...

Dept of homeland security... Just so nazi-esque. Cant help it...they say its bad, i figure it must be world peace in a bikini. There must be a conspiracy in it all...lol

I cant help but wonder if it is just another false flag or what??How can you believe what the DHS say to me they rank right up there with the rest of the jack booted thugs in this goverment.So I dont know if I can trust what they say or not.On the other hand I am very careful what I do online.And I am computer aware.

Skip

Veteran
You can trust DHS on this matter because Java is often a security risk.

As to what is going on to prompt this, if you read the article, it says that the exploit has been integrated into popular hacking scripts which are used everyday by hundreds of hackers. This means attacks will multiply geometrically, with much more success.

As to what a hacker can do once they hack into your computer with the java exploit; almost anything. The can put a keyboard logger on your machine and learn your passwords. They can commandeer your machine to attack others. They can install nasty trojans or viruses.

If you have a really good PAID anti-virus program like ZoneAlarm, you're much safer, but nothing is 100% secure unless you stay unplugged from the internet.

budelight

Discovery Requires Experimentation
Veteran
Doing some work on the server today Skip?

Appreciate all the work you do. let me know if you ever need another hand.

What time you tweaking it till you think?

Cheers,
Budelight