What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Deep Chunk...a breeders discussion

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
I got a pack pf pure deep chunk off the bay a few weeks ago with nothing but making crosses in mind. this will be the start of my work using males and pollen intentionally (had a hermie fcuk my beginner crop of seven over the summer). most of the work ive seen using deep chunk involves clone only strains i know i wont see for a while due to my location and lack of certain connections. first what im going to do probably leading into summer is germ half looking for males specifically, taking clones of said males and growing them out for pollen at a disceet locale outdoors over summer. with the collected pollen im looking to accomplish a few goals right now....1 - i always see reports that the DC is killer smoke but the yield is always low, so ill be experimenting with different yeilders to see if i can keep the DC profile with a decent yeild. in another DC thread done by esbe - very good thread i must say, hes grown DC at 55 N but due to finishing times and his loc they didnt work out to full potential per his word, so finishing time outdoors will be another goal of mine. to the icmag community i ask this, considering clone only strains are out of the question right now, what sativas/indicas would you choose to work with?

one i def have in mind is female seeds early sativa and there maroc, both for decent yields outdoors and finishing time. i also have some of the untested biddys sister which is supposed to finish in 7 weeks. depending how a friends grow goes with the luang sativa theres also the possibility of that being tried as well as GN's zamal. all successfu crosses will be given away to the bay to be given back as freebies, kind of my way of repaying the community, so all imput will be greatly appreaciated, especially ideas in what to use to increase yeild as the only decent yeilders im looking at to use are ak-47 and chronic, plus if i get a good pheno ill def show marijuana mats lemon stinky some DC love. so many ideas so little time.... :joint:

sugabear_II

Veteran
I'd throw it against some burmese (reef or VISC) - but hey I think everything goes well with burmese :D

BTW - when were there DC seeds up on the bay and how much did they fetch? I musta been sleeping

G

so many choces, I dont know the finish time of kali mist but it seems to cross well with every thing and that cross sounds ultra sticky to me, I just popped 5 lemon stinkeys , have you grown it? also i have read DC is really a dominate breeder and overpowers about everything else, good luck and will be looking for those seeds on seedbay

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
its awesome you say burmese

its awesome you say burmese

what a coincidence, last weekend i got some of MODs burmese dream, which is his f1 dreamweaver crossed with burmese pure :headbange i havent seen reefs burmese, i know annaC did a bunch of burmese freebies, if im lucky ill get my hands on some. i also got blockhead and hashberry in my inventory...so many choices. another idea ive had is just to get a bunch of pollen and just do a branch here n there on certains mothers, then possible bx the offspring. the pure DCs were $80, i got some of the warp too, im very interested to see how those come out.

pHrail

I'm going to be working on a breeding project with the Deep Chunks as well, I plan on crossing the best Deep Chunk male I find, with one of the best Mazar females of mine via Dutch Passion. I hope to get these stabilized into a nice pure indica that will be superb. It will definitely be a work in progress. As soon as I get a little further along in the process, i will be sure to document and take some pics. Good luck with your project!

sugabear_II

Veteran
abirdintheair said:
what a coincidence, last weekend i got some of MODs burmese dream, which is his f1 dreamweaver crossed with burmese pure :headbange i havent seen reefs burmese, i know annaC did a bunch of burmese freebies, if im lucky ill get my hands on some. i also got blockhead and hashberry in my inventory...so many choices. another idea ive had is just to get a bunch of pollen and just do a branch here n there on certains mothers, then possible bx the offspring. the pure DCs were $80, i got some of the warp too, im very interested to see how those come out.

MOD selected a burmese male from reeferman stock to make the burmese dream...

Gunnarguchi

ICMag Donor
Veteran
DC x Pot Of Gold ( potency and good yield)
DC vs some of Nordic early mold resistant land races also sounds nice, like Royal Dane, Danish Passion or Lebanon 27 etc.
DC vs Nepalese sativas also sounds good.

B

Brother_Monk

$80 DC's? Sounds like another Richard Williams buy.Tom Hill's DC would have been much more I'm sure. Good luck! There have been many reports of really bad germ rates from the RW corner.

Fj's breeding thread may have a few interesting crosses if you care to look. I believe he has already crossed a nice KaliMist with DC. Look for teresas posts.

I'm giving it a go with a nice mexican sativa, as per Tom Hill's advice, to help increase yields. But first, HTC Skunk IBL x Deep Chunk. Skunky Balls anyone? :joint: :jump:

:ying:

Gunnarguchi

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Brother_Monk said:
$80 DC's? Sounds like another Richard Williams buy.Tom Hill's DC would have been much more I'm sure. Good luck! There have been many reports of really bad germ rates from the RW corner.

Fj's breeding thread may have a few interesting crosses if you care to look. I believe he has already crossed a nice KaliMist with DC. Look for teresas posts.

I'm giving it a go with a nice mexican sativa, as per Tom Hill's advice, to help increase yields. But first, HTC Skunk IBL x Deep Chunk. Skunky Balls anyone? :joint: :jump:

Sounds like its gonna be some cool crosses BM
Ive received som DC beans and crosses myself that im gonna pop very soon and see how they will perform.

DC(HTC) x Erocket/DP

DC x Erocket/Danish Passion

Erocket/Danish Passion x DC

C99 x DC

I expect potent smoke from them all but im especially looking forward to the DC crossed with Erocket/DP as ive had other erocket crosses in my garden this year that really gave some nice sticky buds.

Also the idea about crossing DC with a mexican sativa sounds nice.
Ive purchased sativa mexicana from The Sativa Seedbank for the same purpose.
Eventhough i doubt its a pure sativa as claimed ( 8-9 weeks for a pure sativa?) i think its gonna give a nice yeild with good potency.

Last edited:

Herbalistic

Herbal relaxation...
Veteran
Brother_Monk said:

Yeah, with 80 bucks per 10 seeds, you should get better germ rates...

I bought a pack as it has been longtime in my mind, I have succesfully germed 1 DC bean, which is looking hmm :chin: let´s say DC :D

But, i have ****ed up 5 beans all ready, I mean they crack, but they dont rise/pop up from the soil. If I was selling beans for 80 bucks per 10 seeds, Ive make sure that them beans pop, even in the hands of a newbie..

There are some breeders that have gifted me over 100 € strains just to see me enjoying them, so I must say im little disapointed..

No disrespect for RW, but I 10 beans are 10 beans and when 5 are tossers you cannot do the "selection" yiou were supposed to do....

Maybe RW would like to add his opinion about the subject, so people wont get too negative picture of his work!

BTW, skunk balls sound great :yes:

Last edited:

XyZ

Trichomnia
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the skunky balls should be a successful cross if you find a nice skunky mom and a good afghan dad. this is a typical hybrid that is present in nearly every seedbank. i grew sensis super skunk (skunk/afghan) & the mazar (afghan/skunk) from dutchpassion. i liked the superskunk more. now i have my own skunk/chunk & it's better than both lol. the dc male is making a lower yield but it's multiplying the skunk odor and it makes a nicer potency in the cross.

crossing the dc to a pure sativa is the best way to get uniform plants with better yield and exploding grow-vigor
the F2 gen is where the parent diversity comes out, new traits can be found and isolated for further breeding.

for now i prefer to play with crosses, although i plan and definitely will explore the F2 from the haze/dc F1
i still don't have a great colorful cross in my collection, so my goal in this moment is to create a funny hybrid between deep chunk & a blue (Dj'short)strain ...but i want that it's also nice potent & flavorful. i still have about 200-250 deep chunk seeds and over 1000 of berry-ibl (blueberry F5)...making a random cross very simple, finding really good parents is an completely other story (such things need a lot of time and room...or great luck:)

deep chunk
15012DSC02243.JPG

15012DSC02413.JPG

15012DSC02581.JPG

15012IMG_1928.JPG

15012dc_trics12.JPG

15012dc_trics11.JPG

15012DSC02163.JPG

15012aaa.JPG

skunk/chunk
15012IMG_3999.JPG

15012IMG_3996.JPG

15012DCxSkunk_calyx.JPG

fjällhöga

HazeAddictedFanatic
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@ herba ... , i had the same troubles with the Dc in the beginning ... they favor a very very airy soil mix to thrive in , with good amounts of nutes available for the most time ...

i suggest you highly to cross some mostly sativa females to all the Dc males you got in an open pollination ...

Flo , F13 , Kali Mist , haze´s of all sorts ... , just to see which strains keep on sharing which traits with Dc´s crossing dominance .....

nice thread ... , thx for this nice sunday-coffee read :wave:

Fj

bensittinback

just for the record i germed five deep chunk and all 5 popped and now are healthy. they were slow granted, but all healthy so maybe you may want to look at your technique if you are having germination troubles. my 2 cents, bsb

Herbalistic

Herbal relaxation...
Veteran
bensittinback said:
just for the record i germed five deep chunk and all 5 popped and now are healthy. they were slow granted, but all healthy so maybe you may want to look at your technique if you are having germination troubles. my 2 cents, bsb

Yeah, you are right in a way...

I first tryed to get them up from coco. Summer & coco are bad combiantion when poppin seeds I noticed. These one´s were kept moist all the time, because I had some troubles with coco trying too fast, but it only resulted beans stay inside coco + they started to mold very easily, which I noticed when I "dig" up them DC beans...

I have always had excellent results with poppin seeds in coco, but this summer did **** up too many €/$ :badday:

Maybe I hesitaded too much with the previous statement, thats why I called breeder on this to share his experiences with us. I am not trying to **** up anyones seedsales, as I try to bring positivity into community.

Richard Williams isnt in no way scam artist. I think the fact that Tom passed to seeds for him to reproduce is huge evidence about that. It´s just I really dreamed about growing & "selecting" from those 10 seeds...

Im sorry for RW if I sounded too negative,, but like BM said, im not the only one with bad germing experiences regarding them beans!

But, but...

I got some DC in couple cool crosses I was gifted. Example: Raco´s & Charlie´s/Kaiki´s DC x Highland Nepalese, so those will satisfy my DC tooth :yummy:

esbe

hybridsfromhell
Mentor
Veteran
love your macros so much xyz! shure you made some nice work on dc, hope to see others do more to! one of my dcs from htc was different from yours and racos, toms. earlier and much more bud producing, i crosses two nice e-rocket x danish passion males into it and expect some really nice here. also i hope to see more serious ppl grow them and others among my new dc crosses. toghether we can get much faster to our goals, just needs a lil organising

carpetmunch

deep congo f2

deep congo f2

working on a deep congo f2 have em under 600 watt
any ideas what kind of results this might bring? Might one see much more variation with the f2s leaning to one side of the cross (congo) or the other (deep chunk)? by the way got good germination with 9 out of 10 and very vigorous plants all with deep chunk wideassed leaves very dark green

Anyone else working with deep congo?

CM

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
man, this thread blew up

man, this thread blew up

sugabear - thanx for lettin me now it was reefs burmese that was used
yea there from richard williams now that i read it closer, but it says the DCs used were from tom hill. so many ideas coming forth....

gunnarguchi - i was lookin at the POG equivalent golden skush, have read nothing but good reports about both versions. let us know how the sativa mexicana comes out, ive been waiting for a restock of there paia hawaiian for awhile now.

as far as germ rates go, were i stand now im looking for females out of my deep warps and really just males out of the pure DC. deep warp i think is a sleeper that will do great outdoors b/c texada timewarp add the mold resistance factor to the DC.

fjallhoga - thanx for dropping in, i like the cherry chunk work youve done even though i havent had the chance to grow it out lately. as far as sativas ill be looking at the longer flowerin ones to work with such as thai, luang, kali-most... also annaCs mindboggle x boggy haze and his columbian biko. im one of the many also anxiously awaiting the re-release of the apollo/genius phenos to use as well.

if i had diff living conditions id be able to start this much sooner then summer, but instead it gives me the opportunity to gather all this icmag imput.

esbe -aside from mold and not finishing in time, did you experience any other probs outside? whats the lineage of erocket?

xyz - i was thinkin that a little bit too considering how many strains involving that one blueberry male are now unavailable once seed stock drops off.

Latest posts

Latest posts