What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First Grow, Any and All Input Welcomed

Chris420

Well this is my baby, somehow I managed not to kill her and I am pretty sure there is about 2 weeks left before I need to chop her.

Here are some pics and there are more in my gallery. I was thinking that when I water next.. in about a day or two that I was just going to give it molasses and water to finish her out. But I wasn't sure if I should maybe give one more dose of some 3-9-6 even though I can see some slight nute burn on the tips. I am at day 41 of flowering and the website I got the seeds on say 7-8 week flowering period. Any input on whether one more dose of bloom nutes would help or hurt at this point.

When looking under my radioshack 60x/100x microscope I am starting to see a few amber trichomes but they are pretty scattered.

Thanks, and enjoy.

Edit: I forgot to tell y'all what kind of mary jane I have here. Its called Le Fruit Defendu and I got the seeds online.
53470IMG_3372-med.JPG

53470IMG_3375-med.JPG

53470IMG_3385.JPG

53470IMG_3395.JPG

53470IMG_3397.JPG

Last edited:

Echoes

Yeah, I'd say two more weeks (maybe a little more) but keep an eye on it with your microscope. I'd just give it straight water and molasses if it were me. That would give it a good two weeks flush and they'll probably go through that final fattening up at the end. They're looking good, especially for your first time. Good job, man. What's the smell like?

Last edited:

Chris420

The smell is very fruity, the best comparison I can give it is that it sort of smells like grape/blueberry fruitsnacks :)

edit: well my concern was that they are not that big.. I was hoping they would be a bit bigger, that's why I thought that one more shot of bloom might help, but if you say I will get a pretty big growth spurt with just water and molasses then I think I will avoid adding to the nute burn.

I got some Grandma's Unsulphured Molasses and also some Plantation Blackstrap Molasses. Not sure which one to use, I want to use the blackstrap because I heard it was better, but there is not Mg listed on my blackstrap molasses. How important is mg at the end of flowering?

Last edited:

green_grow

Veteran
looks like there is LOTS of food left in those leaves, so i wouldnt feed them anymore.
i'd say you did pretty damn good for a first grow and have a good-sized crop on the way. nice scrogging. what light you growing under ?

thekingofNY

Cannasseur
Defintely do not need another dose of bloom nutes.... when u harvest a plant, the leaves should not be all green still.

btw. NICE job for a first time man... quit the green thumb u got there...

Check out this pic of a blueberry right before I chopped it... see how the leafs turned color, thats cause the plant was eating all the food. Granted this was blueberry too, but even the plant next to it, which wasnt blue berry's leafs turned dark like that....

Last edited:

Chris420

I used RedGreenery's Rubbermaid setup and followed it pretty much all the way through. A lot of reading here as well.

The lights were 6x26watt CFL for veg and 6x42watt for flowering.

Okay so I want to let that food come out of the leaves and into the buds?

Thanks for the compliment, and when you say "good-sized crop".. how much you thinking? I was hoping that minimum I would get an ounce out of this baby, and would be super excited with anything over 2 ounces. But from what I have seen and read on these forums I am probably looking at somewhere between 1 and 2 zips

edit: thanks King, I should mention that I planted 4 seeds and 3 popped, and I killed two earlier by topping and fertilizing too early. This one was the first I topped and responded great, the others didn't :(

Also thanks for posting that picture of blueberry right before harvest, I can see that is very similar to what I have now and it looks like I am almost there. So hopefully with just water and molasses from here on out will do the job and I can get some nice color in the buds.

Another question, is the color going to change alot after I cut it or will it pretty much look the same on day one of cut compared to day 30(or 90) of a good cure?

Last edited:

thekingofNY

Cannasseur
Its really hard to guestimate yield my friend... the last 2 weeks of a plants life they really pack on the most fatness i find.

That pic of blueberry was at day 59 or so. Unless your plant was a near pure Indica, and judging from the leafs its not, i would let it go a few more days for sure (way more than 41, at least 50, if not 55 in my opinion), This is also the time when the buds will really fatten up. I just looked at ur pic again, and you still have a TON more white hairs than orange...

for my true blueberry, i read online the strain was anywhere from 45-65 days, most sites said 50-60, although everyone i talked to online said it really can go all the way too 70, but i dont like that type of stone, so i took half at 61, and the other half will be at 66. After seeing what it did the past 5 days, I wish i would have waited for the whole thing till 66 :)

here is the old overgrow, growfaq submission about trichromes, its extremelly interesting read, and will hopefully allow u to read and figure out what sort of high u prefer...

http://www.drugs-forum.co.uk/growfaq/1529.htm

edit: in my experience the color does not change much after the plants already dried and cured... it does most of its color changing in flowering, or rather all of it really. For me anyways.

Last edited:

Chris420

thanks for that link, good read. I was planning on harvesting half at around 55 days, and again at 60, but if they are still growing its going to be hard for me to chop her.

skar

i just looked at the pics..and the only thing i can say is : you rocked this house for your first try..enjoy the fruits of your labor..share with friend and keep in mind that this plant is the sacred one ;)

peace

D

dankbudz

i would let them go 9-10 weeks...but then again i let every strain i have go at least 10 weeks

Bruja64

They look lovely! I really like the way you pruned the plant and then used the chicken wire top. Cool idea. Did you like the way it worked for you?

Just a thought...on my first grow I thought they were done(or almost, say in a few days) then all of a sudden I got a huge growth spurt on the buds.
That was after a good flushing. Just my experiance....which is limited at best.

Good job!

Rainman

The revolution will not be televised.....
Veteran
Great job for a first timer. I say flush and cut from here. You really cant trust the finish times the company's give as they are wrong alot more than right imo. You have to know the plant you are caring for and it looks like you got that covered. She will whisper in your ear when she is ready!!

Chris420

Thanks for all the good words guys, really appreciate it.

As far as the pruning and scrogging, there was probably 2.5 times as many shoots on the top and underneath that I had to cut off about 3-4 weeks into flower to allow for the beasts on top to get as big as they can. I was very depressed doing it because I felt that I was cutting down buds that were going to get bigger, but from what I read with my CFL Lighting there is very little penetration so anything other than the top ones wont mature properly. Also I tried to space out the colas for 8 per sq. foot.

That is kind of why I was hoping to get a good growth spurt because there is still quite a bit of room for the colas to expand.

The chicken wire was something that I saw someone else use on a grow and I thought it was a perfect covering that I didn't have to assemble, just cut and cover the sharp edges with duct tape. The biggest problem was that I didn't have any twisty-ties to help secure the shoots in the perfect place, so I had to improvise and use string and duct tape which made it a bit more difficult. About a week ago I was able to get some twisty-ties and OMG! they work so much better and have so much control with very little effort. Another small concern that makes me smile is that unfortunately with the small chicken wire after about 3-4 weeks of flowering the colas were at the point where I had to squeeze and force them in order to get them through the wire, and at this point there no way they can go through it, so when I chop its gonna be a bit more difficult.

I will be trying to reveg this baby because I wasn't able to get a clone off of her. Other than the slow veg period(which was my own fault, I let her get too big for the size I was growing in), I have been very satisfied with this girls ability to live through.. me? haha! On reveg I definately plan on using the chicken wire again but I will try to secure it to the pot instead of duct tape.

Oh and btw... ALL HAIL DUCT TAPE.. made this grow possible :)

Edit: So the last time I watered with nutes it was 8 days ago, and if I give it a solid 2 week flush from now with water and molasses, do you guys think there are enough nutrients to cover that, and then maybe one more week like Robbie recommends?

Last edited:

Echoes

Chris420 said:
The smell is very fruity, the best comparison I can give it is that it sort of smells like grape/blueberry fruitsnacks :)

Nice. I love fruity/berry flavored smokes. You should submit a smoke report after all is said and done. I'll be watching to see what she looks like come harvest time. I'd expect a nice swelling, especially with that molasses.

Latest posts

Latest posts