What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I'm a new rider of the purple SAGE...

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
This is my first SAGE grow - from a clone gifted to me by a friend, and it's a pheno that turns purple in the last two weeks.

It's very attractive, and has many different colors close-up, even when dry - there's burgundy calyxes in there and almost black budleaves. The aroma is spectacular - one of the most pleasant-smelling strains I've ever experienced. It's candy-sweet tropical fruit (mangoes, papayas, etc.), mixed with exotic herbs and spices - it's like an amazing fruit curry - I can't stop smelling the jar! The taste is creamy fruit with an exotic herby aftertaste. There's no sage, but as if I care about that trivial point.

The one note of caution is that it threw a male flower at the base of each bud at 21 days - no idea why, as it was very happy. I pinched them off and they never returned. But I'm picking one or two selfed seeds out of every bud, so I should be able to reproduce this pheno fairly easily. No-one else I know reported any hermie traits, so it must be a one-off. Yield isn't too bad, at 38 grams for a small plant, so I'm happy with that.

The smoke isn't the most potent I have, but it's a beautifully balanced one - perfect 50/50 sativa/indica just as advertised. It's quite long-lasting too, which makes it a great daytime smoke, but it doesn't have much ceiling, so it can get quite heady if overdone - which is easy when it's so tasty!

I probably would grow it again, as it's incredibly easy to grow, tolerant of nutes and pests, and looks and smells amazing...

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Quite a while on that one - it was a very small clone, so it was probably vegged for a good ten weeks before putting into flower. But it's very easily trained, and loves to bush out, without much loss of yield - each stem has a nice fat bud - as you can see.

H&L

Badass thread title there Marmaduke. :rasta: Looks like a killer pheno, I've only smoked a green pheno of SAGE and it was a bit heavy on the indica for my liking.

R

Raistlin Majere

Everybody's lookin' out for him cause they know Red satisfies.
Little girls love to listen to him sing & tell sweet lies.
But when things get confusin' honey, you're better off in bed.
Cause I'll be searchin' all the joints in town for Panama Red.

now i gotta go dust some albums off and find that one :joint:
nice images BTW

Last edited:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
H&L - thanks mate - it really is tasty, and actually does seem quite pokey after a couple of smokes - stronger than I expected, certainly, and definitely not too indica. Though I must confess, I just made a SAGE/Flo cocktail, and it's really knocked me sideways...:)

BTW,the HOGs are rocking, and there'll be some new pics soon. I had a scare with one of them throwing a few nanners, but I think it was down to a light-leak whilst I was away - had friends watering them, and they didn't close the door properly! I picked them off, and it seems to be calming down again...:)

Raistlin Majere, Kinimod - thanks for the comments - I never smoked some Panama Red, but I guess this is the closest I'll get to some Big Sur Holy Weed for now...:)

R

Raistlin Majere

:muahaha:
only lyrics i could remember off the top of my head
but i threw the album on and they all came back
thanks for the trip down memory lane
the PR is still around though, Core is running it now
perhaps someday it might find it's way into your garden
enjoy that sage brother :ying:

skar

a pleasure to read this report Elevator Man..as always with you =)

enjoy this beauty !

Peace

G

Looks cool......

To bad it didnt have an actual SAGE smell/flavor?
Hate it when a breeder lables strains for fun.......
Not me!
Good job on her,ill bet she does a good job no you too!

G

S.A.G.E stands for Sativa Afghani Genetic Equilibrium - it's supposed to be a cross of Big Sur Holyweed to an Afghan, so the SAGE name doesn't refer to the taste or smell.

I grew out this same cut a while back and it's very good, like EM says, very tasty, good yield, very easy to grow, excellent bag appeal, in fact some of the tastiest bud I've smoked. However, it's a bit lacking in potency for my liking, it's not all that strong, nice enough for daytimes, but lacking a real punch imho.

DSCF0030.jpg

DSCF0031.jpg

DSCF0029.jpg

DSCF0026.jpg

DSCF0020.jpg

DSCF0037.jpg

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Well this cut was from a pack of authentic SAGE from TH Seeds, and apparently my friend did get a much more sage-smelling pheno, but he said it was less potent, and lower-yielding, and took a week or two longer to finish. Also they got a more potent one, but also that was pretty shitty yield apparently - this was the best pheno overall.

I'm actually revising my opinion a little on the potency - it does seem to stack up quite well with multiple smokes - one is fairly mild, but two or three gets into heady territory - I like it, and it certainly does look gorgeous. It's very nice mixed with Kentish Creme...muhahah...:)

my buddy sent me a cut of sage a few months back that went 11 weeks and was some truely mind boggling smoke trippy good weed a few bong rips and one would be in a daze

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
I'm down to the last bud of this SAGE, and boy, has it increased in potency the last few days! As always, just as I'm running out. But that's a good sign anyway - will definitely run this one again now. Dry mouth...:)

Ulysses

Guess it gets better with a little bit of curing? Hehehe, must be good... Reminds me of a Blueberry bush I had a few years back, tiny delicious budlets- never made it to the curing jar...

SAGE is (Big Sur Holy Weed x Mazar-I-Sharif) in a 50/50 equilibrium- no Haze
whereas BSHW is Zacatecas Purple crossed with Kush or Afghani...

I'd love to grow some out- a giant tree or two, but can't justify that 20/bean pricetag at HD- like some of DJ's strains, I bet the golden pheno is in the f2s...

EMan, is it trippy/spacey? Are you functional?

Great pics- as usual...

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
It's very trippy indeed! As always, I end up hammering much of it before it cures properly - partly down to impatience, and partly down to having no other weed - my cabinet isn't big enough to produce more than about 38g per plant on average, which is fine, but that's not much at one strain at a time. If I had four at once it would be much nicer.

But I love this strain - it's turned out to be more potent than I initially expected, and the flavour and smell are just sublime perfection. Coupled with the really easy growing, mite-resistance and chunky beautiful buds, I rate it highly. And I've just got to try some of these selfed seeds now...:chin: