What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"Curing" Resin - The Next Wave? (& Cherniak's new pamphlet)

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
And BTW,
Hash resin is not a liquid or oil unless it has gone through processing like solvents or combustion. It is resin, made of oil that is mico-encapsulated in a natural wax covering with several plant cells at the bottom of each glandular trichome.
Saying that resin is an liquid is like saying that wood is a gas, because if you burn it the heat converts the wood to gas that combusts. Or saying that ice is a liquid, ice is a solid, or liquid or vapor if "heated enough".
-SamS

Farmer John

Born to be alive.
Veteran
trichomefarmer said:
Hmm how many here have met mr. Cherniak?

“...the quality of hashish is determined purely by its genetic background.”

“...it becomes clearer that heavy presses with high temperatures are not needed any more if the resin is well cured.”

“Our research has shown that at a stable temperature of 37 degrees C, it still takes about 3 months for most resins to mature.”

I have several times and i find it hard to take anything said by L.C. seriously.
'hey you wanna try some afghan?, do you have a pen? we can make a tinfoil pipe.' and yes he made a tinfoil pipe and smoked his afghan. I almost cried.
:yoinks:
ROFLMAO

Farmer John

Born to be alive.
Veteran
And shit, I get worried if my flowering room gets over 70%rh, cant imagine how worried I would be if I had to cure my buds/resin or even keep flowering plants in there, you get mold, damn, just do a test with a piece of wood or plant and see how soon the mold starts to grow in 70%rh conditions, I try to keep my growroom "normal" that is somewhere between 30-40%rh as far as I know and I dry my buds at room temperature and cure them inside the house also, would be a suicide to do it in any of our growrooms and hell yeah, dry sift rocks, gets like this in my hands freshly made and even if I store it.

So its just about health of the plants that mirrors the quality of the resin, all my resin gets sticky like this, havent seen that happen with many commercial bubblehashes and so. Oh and btw that piece was made without any screens, had some plant in there but it was full melt, made of trichs that stick on the walls of the trimbucket, collected by my finger pictured there.

Last edited:

Yarkand

I like the pictures that come in those books, and some of those pictures could never happen again (Afghanistan). Its not about how and what we can do now, its about the history of it all. You can't change history and we learn from history !

If it wasn't for books like L.C & Hashish, then most of the general population wouldn't have a clue (besides certain communities of course)

Peace

:wave:

Dkgrower

Veteran
Hey lotty, dont get offendet :friends: we are just having a debat :wave:

:wave: Dkgrower.

Last edited:
G

Damn, I keep breaking my word on forgetting about this debate BUT what I'm not understanding is, everyone is saying 70%rh at 65f-70f is crazy yet, I have seen it work and also people have been doing this for YEARS with their cigars.

Now, I know people hear hate tobacco and try to say it's sprayed with stuff to keep it fresh but that isn't true, at least when you're talking about high quality cigars. It seems as if you all think I made this up or something, I didn't I learned this from cigar aficionados. The only time they get mold is when the humidity gets over 70% which makes a lot of sense.

I'm not trying to offend anyone BUT I'd listen to a whole industry who has been doing something for years with excellent results before I listen to a group of people who constantly fight with each other just to prove who's right when in a lot of cases they turn out to be wrong as what I've seen with the cannabis community and being that cannabis is illegal, this plays a major part because people who have tried other methods are scared to come out and show & prove because of a fear of getting ratted out on because of jealousy, even I'm thinking twice about saying certain things about some people that I've learned on here because of fear of retaliation. I have heard too many foul things about a lot of people in the community, even though it could just be hear say.

Anyway, just look into cigars, temperature, humidity, mold, and tobacco humidors before you count out what I'm saying. Peace.

Last edited:

trichomefarmer

re-loading
Veteran
come on already

come on already

lotty cannabis is not a cigar. I am fairly positive none of us are storing rolled joints.

cigars are made from tobacco LEAVES. completly different, ie. there are no buds.
a cigar is no where near as dense as most buds and no where close to hash.

to what humidity are the tobacco leaves dried to before they are cured, rolled or what ever the process is?

lotty how long have you been playing with cannabis resin? For some of the people in this thread it has been decades.

Last edited:

Dkgrower

Veteran
lotty said:
I'm not trying to offend anyone BUT I'd listen to a whole industry who has been doing something for years with excellent results before I listen to a group of people who constantly fight with each other just to prove who's right .

I dont think you offend anybody but I think many disagree on what you are saying

And what group are fighting with each other ? the way pepol make dry sift
have been around for hundreds of years and out date tobacco.

http://www.pa-chouvy.org/Chouvy-Hig...ltivation-Hashish-Production-Morocco-Rif.html

Last edited:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
lotty,
I have been to farms in Cuba to the areas near Pinar del Rio to study how the worlds finest cigar tobacco is grown and processed including drying and curing. I have been to the Monte Cristo factory and spent the day watching and asking questions. I have seen them spray tobacco leaves with water, because the leafs were a bit to dry for rolling.
I would never spray water on Cannabis buds or resin, they are not the same at all when it comes to drying or curing.
-SamS

Last edited:
G

I forgot to add this link earlier and keep in mind both tobacco and cannabis are both plants so relative humidity and temperature DOES apply to both of them:

http://www.credo.fr/uk/monde_credo_world/relative_humidity_uk.htm

The Relative Humidity (RH) may be defined as the amount of moisture in the atmosphere as compared with that of complete saturation at the given temperature.

Water exposed to the air gradualy evaporates until saturation point i.e. the highest quantity of evaporated water which the air may retain.

At saturation point, the slightest drop in temperature will cause condensation.
This is known as the dewpoint, and corresponds to 100% RH.

The amount of water present in the air at 100% RH is approximately 15 grammes per cubic meter.

At a Relative Humidity of 70%, the amount of evaporated water is approximately 10.5 grammes per cubic meter.

Why create a humid environment with a constant Relative Humidity of 70% ?

Cigars are naturally hygroscopic products. In common with many organic substances, they dry out in the absence of humidity in the air, or absorb moisture from the ambiant air.
They establish an equilibrium with the atmospheric humidity which surrounds them.

A dry cigar burns too quickly.
the temperature at which combustion occurs is too high as it is not tem-pered by the natural moisture of the cigar. The smoke is hot and acrid: the cigar becomes agressive.
A damp cigar does not burn easily.
It becomes difficult to draw on and craters occur at the combustion point.
The smoke is heavy, the aroma pungent and tart.

For a pleasant smoke, a cigar should contain a certain amount of moisture which corresponds to 13-14% of its total weight.
Thus, the combustion is regular. The draw is easy and the smoke blueish and light.
The aroma of the tobacco is fully developed whilst the irritating effect of the smoke is moderated by the humidity of the cigar itself.

The ideal moisture contents of a cigar (13 to 14%) corresponds to a Relative Humidity of 70%. This is why it is necessary to maintain the Relative Humidity of the atmosphere in which cigars are stored.

http://www.credo.fr/uk/humidificateur_credo_humidifier/humidity_regulator_uk.htm#OM
Our method

The classical method consisted in placing a water reservoir inside the humidor in which the air becomes quickly saturated by evaporated water.

As soon as the Relative Humidity runs past 85%, mould appears. Beyond 90%, cigars will rot away after a few weeks or even days.

The CREDO Precision 70 overcomes this problem. The secret of its originality lies in a physico-chemical solution.
The principle is based on the creation of melange of water and tensio-active substances which limits the potential of the evaporation of the water itself.

The humidity of the air is a function of the composition of this melange.

Therefore, the manufacturer controls the Relative Humidity of the ambiant atmosphere inside any humidor.

Precision 70 is a Humidity regulator.

G

Here's the other one:

http://cannabisculture.com/articles/2776.html

Store your stash
by Pete Brady (05 Mar, 2003)

The Stash Boxx provides the ultimate in safe storage of your kind buds.

Whenever I see somebody take bud for which they just paid $400 an ounce, and put it in a plastic bag, I wince.

Like tobacco, fruit and other natural products, marijuana cannot retain its most sought after characteristics if it is handled roughly or stored improperly. Heat, light, and humidity affect the freshness, smokeability, and potency of marijuana.

Jon Stashman is a Northern California woodworker, designer and entrepreneur who wants to solve your pot storage problems with his series of "Stash Boxx" containers that provide watertight, airtight compartments ideal for marijuana.

"The most common form of stash deterioration results from dehydration," Stashman explains. "Freshly manicured stash needs adequate moisture content. Moisture allows stash to retain its shape, malleability, and fresh flavor. If you look at newly-manicured stash and compare it to stash that is six months old, especially if the stash has been stored in a paper bag, you will see the difference. Fresh hydrated stash looks good and smokes smooth, but improperly stored stash dries out and falls apart."

Stash Boxx containers minimize dehydration and other problems. They are made of unbreakable glass-reinforced "ABS" plastic. Unlike other plastic, ABS cannot absorb outside odors and does not give off its own odor. Other plastics, like the polyurethane used in food storage containers, impart a chemical odor to herb, and smoking such herb might introduce harmful by-products into your lungs.

Stashman says Stash Boxx products are so resistant to external air and water that they have been tested at depths of 100 feet and show no sign of rupture or leakage.

"We equip them with a neoprene O-ring which creates an air-tight, water-tight environment," Stashman explains. "Because Stash Boxx is air-tight, it is also absolutely odor-proof. The smaller boxes are lined with a closed cell foam that provides shock resistance should the box be dropped. Our larger boxes are lined with "pluck-and-pull" foam. This foam is pre-formed into cubes that can be pulled out to form interior storage space in any shape you can imagine. Customers use Stash Boxxes to store breakable smoking accessories or sensitive items such as scales and electronic equipment."

Some tokers believe that storing cannabis in mason jars or plastic bags in the freezer is the ideal way to preserve freshness and potency, but Stashman says that "unless you're very careful to remove all the air from the freezer bag, sub-zero temperatures will greatly accelerate the drying process and could damage sensitive plant tissue."

If your stash has become dry and crumbly, Stashman says, Stash Boxx sells two sizes of humidifiers and a distilled water/propylene glycol solution that preserves correct humidity while also preventing mold growth. Storage mold is a vicious intruder that can destroy treasured stash virtually overnight.

And in case you're worried about using propylene glycol, Stashman says it's used extensively and safely in the tobacco and wine industries to prevent mold growth.

"It is absolutely non-toxic and odorless. It does not impart foreign flavors into tobacco, wine, or stash," he explains. "A few drops of our glycol/distilled water solution will perfectly preserve your stash."

Stash Boxx design and materials are the result of Stashman's experience in the cigar and pipe tobacco industries. He says that most other marijuana storage systems, especially those that are made of wood, are objectively inferior to Stash Boxx.

"Wood allows moisture to escape from your stash thereby contributing to the drying process," he says. "Also, wood expands and contracts radially and tangentially. This loosens glued joints and will eventually cause the box to destabilize. Also, some wood and wood glues impart undesirable odors into your stash."

So if you are wondering why your precious marijuana does not look, smoke or stone as well as it did when you first bought it, analyze your storage methods. Are you exposing your herb to extremes of heat or cold? Are you storing your herb with too little or too much humidity? Do you have your weed in a container that seals tight and is impervious to water or air?

I tried Stash Boxx; it improved the quality and durability of my medicine. Check out the Stash Boxx product line and you will be on your way to preserving your kindest herb.

hashstar

The amount of water present in the air at 100% RH is approximately 15 grammes per cubic meter.

Do you even know what what RH is? At what temp is there 15 grams per Cubic meter?

RH is reletive to the temp...At 30 degrees fahrenheit with an RH of 100% there might be 2 grams of water per cubic meter, at 70-15 grams per cubic meter, at 100-30 grames per cubic meter.

Reletive humidity is really only good for knowing how close to the dew point you are and the dew point is reletive to the temperature

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Anyway this thread is about "Curing" Resin not the best way to store cigars. I suggest you make a Kg of resin and "Cure" it the way you suggest. Then in a few months you can report back how much better the resin is after your "Curing method"
Or maybe you will report back what I have been saying...
BTW the stash boxes are for herb storage not "curing" even cigars are cured before they are sold.
You need to decide what it is you are talking about and stick to it. Tobacco, Cigars, Wine bottles, Cannabis flowers drying, Cannabis flowers curing, Resin drying, Resin curing. They are not all the same at all. Even if they do have some similarities.
Also I do not want to add PROPYLENE GLYCOL to my stash it is maybe safe except that Like ethylene glycol, propylene glycol affects the body's chemistry by increasing the amount of acid resulting in metabolic problems. Propylene glycol is metabolized into lactic acid, causes a build up of acid in the body and is suspected in being a Neurotoxicant, Respiratory Toxicant, Skin or Sense Organ Toxicant.
-SamS

Last edited:
G

If you read my earlier post, I stated that you can use humidification beads which use nothing but distilled water and last indefinitely. They are the new thing in tobacco humidors.

Also, one of the reasons people put cigars in a humidor IS to age tobacco because it develops different flavors as time goes on. It's NOT just for storage.

Lastly, putting cannabis in a humidor IS a form of curing because the meaning curing is to preserve something and that is what you are doing when you put herb in a humidor. Peace.

Last edited:

hashstar

Heres some stats on RH

A 10x10x8 foot (800 cubic feet) garden room can hold

4oz. of water at 32 degrees F.
7oz. of water at 50 degrees F.
14oz. of water at 70 degrees F.
18oz. of water at 80 degrees F.
28oz. of water at 90 degrees F.
56oz. of water at 100 degrees F.

Dkgrower

Veteran
Back on track.....

I think that when we are talking curing your sift It is the plant matrial we are talking abouth, The tricromes dosent get any better it degenerates from the time you harvest.

One think that I think is interseting and that is that many of the danish strains, the sift doesnt make a very oily type of hash, but this last year I tryed out som afghani and they are more oily and very easy consolidates to a homogen and ductile type of hashish with brownish colors.

I think that maby it is because the glandsheads walls are more thin and more easy bust open ?

Also I think that heat is only used to make sift that have alot of plant material come together and is a industri thing, I have never heard abouth warm-pressed high grad marok- it is always cold pressed or not at all

Last edited: