What's new

CBD Strains Info

Stoxx

Ok, on request I will post this on some forums. I copied and pasted my own post on GC here. There were various people with various myths that were harmful to progress, such as this or that nute helps CBD, or late harvest helps CBD, or CBD is bad because X, or heating or doing unusual treatments post harvest can do this or that to CBD. So to set things straight, I am posting here what I know. There are still mysteries as to CBD but the general scientific consensus is that genetics dominate CBD/THC ratio, and that codominance is the mechanism at hand. 2:1, 3:1, 4:1, 5:1 ratios or 1:2-1:5 ratios are quite a mystery considering the scientific literature published pinning THC/CBD to certain alleles, and the codominance picture, but here I propose some possibilities.

_____

Most all evidence points to CBD/THC NOT being affected differently by environment. CBD degrades a bit faster under UVB than THC but the effect is minimal, and CBC's photo-degradation is markedly faster. It is speculated CBC may be a sacrificial degradation compound that acts as a sunscreen but this is pure speculation on the part of some scientist back in the late 80s.

Theories as to there being more CBD vs THC in roots or leaves earlier in life are generally urban myths. There are studies on early leaves pre-flowering that indicate leaves follow the same formula of THC-only, CBD-only, or the near-1:1 chemotype. The genetic type determines the CBD or THC makeup. A scatter plot indicates 5:6 or around 11:12 is the codominant chemical phenotype. Again, CBD only or THC only are other possibilities.

There is some slim possibility that pH may affect CBD vs THC. This is pure educated speculation on my part but cyclization reactions IF they are present are indeed affected by pH. Neutral 7 then would hypothetically favor THC. But the effect if present is expected to be very small and secondary to genetics.

Degradation due to light or heat does NOT increase THC levels, nor does it increase CBD levels, nor really affect relative ratios other than the above-mentioned effect that CBD absorbs UVB ever slightly more.

The two compounds are so close and similar that any differentiation based upon mild environmental conditions is rather unlikely.

No scientific, and peer-reviewed journal has ever published ratios of 3:1 or 4:1. That is not to say these ratios do not exist, but perhaps that they are rare, or labs are making mistakes, manipulating data or giving growers what they want.

Some possible explanations for the non-1-to-1 (5:6 or 11:12) ratio phenotypes are STR's, alternate pathways to CBD or THC, or polyploidy (not to be confused with whorl phyllotaxy).

Neither variety indica nor sativa of the drug strain are expected to have any significant CBD. Drug cannabis is generally bred for high THC and so CBD has generally been bred out, except for in some hash strains and strains specifically bred for CBD. Unworked wild landraces, some ruderalis strains, some hemp strains may be of high enough CBD to be of interest, but with each of these, you will have problems such as intersex, stretching, auto-flowering, poor terpene profile.

CBD giving more couchlock is also thought to be a mis-attribution. The effects of cannabis plant are thought to be a combination of cannabinoids and terpenes and perhaps other lesser known or unidentified compounds. CBD alone in moderate doses has generally produced feelings of alertness. It also shows some potential for anti-psychotic and anti-anxiety effects and may (in unscientific wording) produce a mellower ramp up and longer happier and less frightening effect. It certainly does not "block" out the effects of THC at relevant doses though it is a partial GPR18 agonist, a 5-HT 1A agonist (think Abilify, etc.) and a weak CB receptor antagonist.

The couchlock effects are likely linalool with CBN, or some other terpenes and compounds present, possibly in greater concentrations with certain cures and certain strains.

Heating pot does not increase CBD, but for ingestion, the carboxylic acids may be decarboxylated if heated to the proper temperature and held.

For a quick and dirty determination for the presence of CBD, the abandoned BEAM test may be of interest. For those willing to learn something new, TLC is a cheap chromatographic method that if done properly is most likely more reliable than some of these unethical or sloppy labs. It would not be accurately quantitative without standards but spot size can give enough clues about potency. Choice of eluent is key for good separation of CBC/CBG/CBD/THC/acids/THCv/CBDv/etc.

If desired, PM me for references.

As a note and challenge to some of these breeders and labs reporting 4:1 or such ratios on 15-20% total wt% cannabinoids to publish if known the Bd/Bd, Bt/Bt, Bd/Bt chemotype, and if known diploidy/triploidy/tetraploid of the plant, and grow conditions including pH, lighting, medium, etc.

With a $ incentive to publish or produce good lab results, there should be healthy skepticism as to these figures. It would also be consistent and beneficial if labs consistently measured the carboxylic acids, the common and significant isomers THCV/CBDV/delta-8/etc.

Peer reviewed scientific literature including genetic studies tend to suggest these things aren't really making a difference outside total cannabinoid levels. How some are reporting say 18% THC 5% CBD is beyond anyone's wild guess, though I am not saying it is impossible.

I welcome all posters to post what theory, ideas, or findings they have here about CBD and CBD strains.

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
...well this place never ceases to amaze me.... learn sumthang everyday...mynd U

VenturaHwy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
When I backcrossed to a plant I had about 10 times, I got a stretchy indica that had rock hard buds. I called it Rocky. It had the look of OG type buds but had no head high at all, none. What you could feel was the body stone. Might have been good as a medical weed, no good for anything else...

Stoxx

When I backcrossed to a plant I had about 10 times, I got a stretchy indica that had rock hard buds. I called it Rocky. It had the look of OG type buds but had no head high at all, none. What you could feel was the body stone. Might have been good as a medical weed, no good for anything else...

Maybe all CBD?

One all-CBD parent and one all-THC parent makes 100% kids that have the 1:1 chemical phenotype or chemotype which is highly desired and 'hot' right now not just for medical users but for those wanting less self-consciousness, less 'frightening' fast highs, a longer high, a less edgier high, and for many less short-term memory problems. Do you still have seeds or plant?

Stoxx out

_____

CA215 SB420 compliant. All info above and in all my posts are hypothetical/informational only. I do not condone cannabis cultivation for those where such action would be illegal. Information not to be construed as direct or specific advice.

Stoxx

Thank you yortbogy. Seeing that you are a mod, you must have some extensive experience. I too have some experience under the belt, but I'm needing some help on a strange whitish appearance on just 2 plants in veg. Any ideas?

Some time ago, SWNM had TMV which is my concern. All other plants under the same condition are healthy.

Stoxx out

_____

CA215 SB420 compliant. All info above and in all my posts are hypothetical/informational only. I do not condone cannabis cultivation for those where such action would be illegal. Information not to be construed as direct or specific advice.

Does anyone have info on the likelihood of finding a suitable 1:1 phenotype in a 5 pack of feminized seeds from CBD Crew? I hope to find a decent morning strain in CBD Yummy and a relaxing evening strainin CBD Critical Mass. I've never been one who could enjoy a sedating high because such strains induce an unpleasant dissociation that I don't get with sativas.

Ouzo180

So genetics is the only thing responsible (that we know of so far) for CBD production? Bummer but it makes sense.

What about CBN? THCV? Terpene production increases late flower so depending on strain it might still be worth it to take it out a little long.

I read something in the Feb 2012 MedicalHT about "selectively" cloning a Medical Cup winning ATF to get increased CBD levels, sounded like bogus info to me but anyone care to comment on why that might work for some reason?

"Initially the variety hadn't shown high CBD levels but through "selective cloning," Heady says he steadily increased the ATF's potential for producing Cannabidiol over the course of thousands of selections, until he ultimately achieved precisely the right balance of THC and CBD he had in mind-all the while carefully observing the way the plant grew in order to discover the best methods for helping it flourish." -David Bienenstock "IN SEARCH OF CBD"

Ouzo180

No not at all. According to the article he goes by the name "Heady" and is from Emerald Triangle area, old school grower. He doesn't say anything about the method other than what is in that paragraph. Like I said it sounds like nonsense to me, fishermans story kind of thing, he probably just wanted to make it seem like he was awesome because of his mystery CBD cloning technique.....I just wanted to see if anyone else had heard of this before...

Stoxx

Does anyone have info on the likelihood of finding a suitable 1:1 phenotype in a 5 pack of feminized seeds from CBD Crew? I hope to find a decent morning strain in CBD Yummy and a relaxing evening strainin CBD Critical Mass. I've never been one who could enjoy a sedating high because such strains induce an unpleasant dissociation that I don't get with sativas.

Hello again Village Green. According to SB, the 1:1 phenotypes are 100%. But some reports on CBD CM were that they developed a higher rate of nanners on an indoor grow. Don't know if that was an unlucky batch or what, but I really don't trust rushed fem seeds because sometimes breeders skip the 'stress test' to try to induce hermaphrodites, culling them, then using the GA or CS to breed female to female to produce all female seeds. Instead, rushed feminized seeds tend to have a high rate of seeds with hermaphrodite tendencies bred in.

I suppose in a pure female male population, a hermaphrodite would be culled out, but if you have all female parents and you purposely induce male parts, you miss the hermaphrodites that would have produced male parts under light stress anyhow (without CS/GA application). That is herms are finding 'cover' when breeders produce fem seed without first running a stress test and culling herms.

The correct way to produce fem seed is stressing female plants, then culling the ones that easily turn 'hermy', then on the resistant non-hermy-tendency female plants, forcing male parts via GA or CS, and mating to a female. When rushed, this 'stress test' is skipped.

I would wait. CBD crew told me they are about to release SnS widow again which has had a decent track record so far. They are also releasing a few more regular high CBD strains, contingent on successful grow tests going on right now as we speak.

Stoxx

_______

CA215/SB420 compliant. Not to be construed as grow advice or condoning any illegal activities.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Great info here.Another problem what i read about the strains of the CBDcrew is , that not all pheno's have CBD.Some are even high in THC and pretty low in CBD.THeir varieties are not fully stable.

Keep on growing :)

Stoxx

So genetics is the only thing responsible (that we know of so far) for CBD production? Bummer but it makes sense.

What about CBN? THCV? Terpene production increases late flower so depending on strain it might still be worth it to take it out a little long.

I read something in the Feb 2012 MedicalHT about "selectively" cloning a Medical Cup winning ATF to get increased CBD levels, sounded like bogus info to me but anyone care to comment on why that might work for some reason?

"Initially the variety hadn't shown high CBD levels but through "selective cloning," Heady says he steadily increased the ATF's potential for producing Cannabidiol over the course of thousands of selections, until he ultimately achieved precisely the right balance of THC and CBD he had in mind-all the while carefully observing the way the plant grew in order to discover the best methods for helping it flourish." -David Bienenstock "IN SEARCH OF CBD"

CBN is a degradation product. Age post harvest should increase CBN at the cost of THC. As for THCV, it is genetic. Meao Thai, South African strains, NL#5 (from the highland thai), and allegedly JTR, DQ from subcool, and possibly some JH phenos, which would make sense as the pineapple space queen/dream queen/dairy queen all are bred from C99 pineapple flavor phenotype selections, which are basically in-bred Jack Herer lines.

Paco here reported his lab told him monkey balls had THCV.

As for 'selective cloning', I don't think it is a fisherman's tale nor anything new. It sounds to me like what he is doing is working with a huge population, but being completely data-driven, and utilizing the power of numbers. Meaning, he is growing 1000s of plants in identical grow conditions, finding the 1 in a 1000 outliers that show unusually high CBD, then crossing outliers to outliers then from that progeny, selecting the outliers once again.

It is like if you want to breed the smartest dog in the world. An amateur might just get 2 random dogs of a poodle and a border collie and breed them and have 5 kids and pick the best of 5. An analogy of what he's doing is, starting with a huge pool of say 1000 dogs, running the same tests on them, selecting the best of the best, then breeding them, producing 100s or 1000s of progeny, and selecting the best of the best, and after a few generations, you have a dog that is head-and-tails above the rest. It is a sort of accelerated en masse artificial selection process driven by quantitative data. If we had money and space, this would be the way to do it.

It wouldn't even matter if he started with the real Matanuska Thunder Valley strain or the watered-down ATF or Alaskan/Matanuska Tundra strain, it should result in something special to run through so many plants looking for the 'unusually' good plants. It is also why amateur breeders don't get anywhere, because they don't really select or they do not have the number of plants or the space or the legal rights to have that many plants, and so it is like if you are trying to have NBA-caliber basketball player kids, and you pick 5 random males, 5 random females, teach them all basketball, and pick the best out of 5 for each, and breed them and out of their 5 kids, select the best out of the 5. That won't nowhere near guarantee they will be even NCAA good much less NBA good.

Stoxx

Stoxx

How about a good Haze? If you like sativa's the original sativa OG/skywalker OG (not from Amsterdam but LA) is something special. And the highland fruity thai sativas and south african sativas are something else too. Indica lovers say it is too speedy though.

CBD crew said all the seeds will be 1:1, and I haven't found too much contradicting this. I know their Z6/Z7 and Dieseltonic are mixed all over the map. But that 1:1 could be a meager 3%/3% or it could be a sweet 11%/11%. Actually if you look at the literature, on average, the 1:1 is really more like 5:6 or 11:12 by weight (fitting a least squares fit line to a scatterplot of 100s of tested strains).

Stoxx

How about a good Haze? If you like sativa's the original sativa OG/skywalker OG (not from Amsterdam but LA) is something special. And the highland fruity thai sativas and south african sativas are something else too. Indica lovers say it is too speedy though.

CBD crew said all the seeds will be 1:1, and I haven't found too much contradicting this. I know their Z6/Z7 and Dieseltonic are mixed all over the map. But that 1:1 could be a meager 3%/3% or it could be a sweet 11%/11%. Actually if you look at the literature, on average, the 1:1 is really more like 5:6 or 11:12 by weight (fitting a least squares fit line to a scatterplot of 100s of tested strains).

Stoxx

Thanks for that. Flo is my favorite strain by far but will keep me up half the night. I want to acclimate to a sedating strain for night use and hope that CBD will quell the mental anxiety that high THC indicas can sometimes cause. If anyone can remember, Colombian brown weed from the late 70s/early 80s caused an effect which I would like to regain for night use.

Ouzo180

Stoxx:
Thanks for the great info there, that clears up some things for me on THCV and CBN

I guess your right with the nothing new thing, that is breeding 101 but it just seemed odd to be doing it with a clone population. How much time do you think this would take compared to selective cross breeding?

It seems like if it were that easy anyone could just take 5,000-10,000+ cuttings
(1-2k @time) of any given strain and eventually produce a CBD Rich version (Ex.Purple Kush CBD). I'm sure genetic predisposition helps...I guess it takes someone who actually cares enough about CBD's to dedicate a lot of time and effort too which could be/is rare....

fungzyme

As for 'selective cloning', I don't think it is a fisherman's tale nor anything new. It sounds to me like what he is doing is working with a huge population, but being completely data-driven, and utilizing the power of numbers. Meaning, he is growing 1000s of plants in identical grow conditions, finding the 1 in a 1000 outliers that show unusually high CBD, then crossing outliers to outliers then from that progeny, selecting the outliers once again.
Stoxx

So, it's just 'selective breeding' with a sexy new name...(?)

I was wondering if he was maybe finding small CBD variations within a plant from branch to branch (equivalent to a 'sport', maybe?) and selectively reinforcing those differences within a breeding program. Don't know if that would even occur, though.

Stoxx

So, it's just 'selective breeding' with a sexy new name...(?)

I was wondering if he was maybe finding small CBD variations within a plant from branch to branch (equivalent to a 'sport', maybe?) and selectively reinforcing those differences within a breeding program. Don't know if that would even occur, though.

Hmm interplant cannabinoid differences that can be inherited. This, if true would be revolutionary of an idea to biology. It would be going back to Lamarckian genetics no? It is possible-- people are looking into epigenetic changes that can be inherited but it's a new field as I understand it and under-researched.

What he's doing from what I understand is just traditional selective breeding but at an accelerated pace. Probably growing out 100+ seeds, then testing the cotyldons or first true leaves for high CBD content, picking the best, making mothers, taking cuts, making crosses, growing seeds to seedling, killing all the mediocre seedlings, etc. Don't need to flower, then cure, then smoke. Just seed, seedling test, seed seedling test. Only time they grow a plant out would be to mate. But I'm not him so I'm not sure, but from close sources that's how some of these anomalous strains were created.

Ouzo180

It didn't say that he reversed the clone first or anything but that seems far more likely to me. It just said "selected cloning" not breeding. Interesting that it is feasible though...just when you think you know something, =)

Latest posts

Latest posts