What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1kw 4x8 tent lights? Gavita vs DEva vs PL Light vs Nanolux

p0opstlnksal0t

I'm looking to run pairs of 1kws in 4x8x8 tents that can be computer controlled to run 12/12 flip schedules. Preferably low profile designs that allow for a closer to cieling mounting option. The top of the list was the gavita pro 1000e but there's no low pro design and I don't want to chance the RFI problems with their remote ballast setup. This brought me to the nanolux and pl light low profile designs. The pl light has no smart controller and I'd prefer to not use a mechanical timer setup to control input power to the ballast. The nanolux has a controller (although it's wifi) and low profile design. Plus it's cheaper than the rest and we'll documented for its use. So I was on the nanolux train until I read up on these square wave Revolution Micro DEva de hps lights. The design is very tight and compact as well as low profile. They give off no RFI at all and they utilize a hard wired controller so no chance of neighbors picking up a "grow light" wifi signal. The problem is no one appears to be using them and at 500 a pop with not much of a distributor base it appears a bit of a gamble to try them. There's no logs of anyone using them.

Muleskinner

Veteran
very cool light! Made by a company in Thailand. As long as it lights the Ushio DE bulb the quality of light is going to be good. You've got to blaze the trail for the rest of us. If you trust the dealer to take it back if there's a problem I'd go for it. The price seems about right to me for a high-end 1000w DE unit.

http://revolutionmicro.com/revolution-products/

The P.L. light 600w HSE HPS I have does give off some RFI, but very little, less than my remote ballast 400w HPS. I have a meter. It's the remote ballast that kills you on RFI.

How much extra room do the low-profile lights give you - only like 6 inches more right? If you pick a higher tent maybe you won't have to worry about height.

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
very cool light! Made by a company in Thailand. As long as it lights the Ushio DE bulb the quality of light is going to be good. You've got to blaze the trail for the rest of us. If you trust the dealer to take it back if there's a problem I'd go for it. The price seems about right to me for a high-end 1000w DE unit.

http://revolutionmicro.com/revolution-products/

The P.L. light 600w HSE HPS I have does give off some RFI, but very little, less than my remote ballast 400w HPS. I have a meter. It's the remote ballast that kills you on RFI.

How much extra room do the low-profile lights give you - only like 6 inches more right? If you pick a higher tent maybe you won't have to worry about height.
:tiphat:

silverhazefiend

"Aint no love in the heart of the city"
Veteran
Bump
Having similar thoughts its been driving me crazy idk all this misinformation makes it harder

So far my options are cheap and effective or expensive and top of the line my main goal is yield then quailty so heres a few options 4x8x6.5

3 gavita 600SE master controller daystar hoods turned up to 660 -cheap and proven easier to cool

5 cmh 315 -high initial cost harder to cool , yield is a question penetration is a question but quality is gonna be better

3 630de air cooled- gonna have to sell a kidney to afford it ..its essentially 2 315s in one bulb so im sure it will be really bright but does it penetrate? Its still 2 315s the tech didnt change ..chance to mix cmh spectrum in one hood, quality and quantity (?)

Im thinking about just going gavita and making life easy but i hate it seems so old school with all new tech ..maybe 2 gavita and 1 630de in the center ? My biggest fear is buying all this fancy shit for no real gains and like another poster said its so many people using 315 but where are the yield pics ? Not ya word of mouth

Sidenote:some people here were ADAMANT ON LED in 2010,11,12 and no not cobs i mean the purple colored shit now look most people wouldnt even buy one now but im sure we all remember the claims i feel like there doing the same thing with cmh and yields

Muleskinner

Veteran
I just got finished running the Gavita 600w HPS in a 4X4X6.5 tent with no hood, it works out fine unless you run a very tall strain. I don't consider these "old tech", the commercial-grade Philips, Gavita, Ushio bulbs that run at 400V are very efficient and cheap to run, the bulbs last 2.5 years as opposed to 200v bulbs that last less than 1 year.

The 600w version of these bulbs gives you 1190 umol of light, 1.9 umol/watt, which is better than CMH and most LED's. Two of them will cover 4X8 pretty well, even the edges.

btw, I have migrated from these 600w HPS to P.L.'s 320W Hortiled Top fixture. Three of them would be perfect for 4X8, it will cost you around $2800 for the three lamps though. No bulbs to replace, no active cooling needed. the technology and spectrum is the most efficient available and custom-designed for flowering cannabis, I am having a lot of fun with them, they are totally delivering on the LED hype, penetration is excellent

Last edited:

silverhazefiend

Veteran
Thanks for that mule its basically the kind of response i was looking for might just do 2 runs then upgrade but i think ill stay with the 600s for now

watts

ohms
Veteran
Two 1k DE's is too much for a 4x8. A 1k DE Gavita covers a 4x6 footprint and you need like 3-4ft. above plant canopy. Go with two 630w CMH (Dimlux maybe?), two Gavita pro 600 SE, or two 1000w Hortilux Platinum square-wave ballast (none or very little RFI.) Any one of these systems will light a 4x8 very well.

silverhazefiend

Veteran
I asked wizzup (forum member) and there is actually a layout he drew up for a 4x8 with ppfd and umol this was a while back but its in the gavita thread

He said the 3 600s would give me better penetration and more even canopy and 4 inches as opposed to the 2- 1k de/se and less electricity..but more equipment to buy

This was a while ago before cobs and 630 cmh so i wasnt sure whats more efficient.

silverhazefiend

Veteran
The problem I've had with 600's in the past has always been airy/fluffy buds. Compared to the dense buds I get off of 1000s

Same strain ?

Idk I've grown random seeds and some would be rock hard some just airy i always thought genetics played a bigger part the only other way i kno people get hard buds is a enhancer but thats kinda frowned on depending on what u use

Forgot to add i DID get airy buds once but thats bc the room wqs so hot and the light was so close but that was my fault all the way

p0opstlnksal0t

Same strain ?

Idk I've grown random seeds and some would be rock hard some just airy i always thought genetics played a bigger part the only other way i kno people get hard buds is a enhancer but thats kinda frowned on depending on what u use

Forgot to add i DID get airy buds once but thats bc the room wqs so hot and the light was so close but that was my fault all the way

Same strain, this was gg#4 ran in a multiple 4x4 tents. Started out with a 600w hps then tried 2x 600 Watters then ended on a 1000w hortilux. The single 1000w gave me the best production and density out of the multiple light arrangements I tried. I'm no master grower however and its possible this was due to user error.

Muleskinner

Veteran
The "ideal" level of light for cannabis often quoted at 800-1000 umol/j per square meter. However, yield will keep increasing all the way up to 1500 umol/J/m2. The yield increases more slowly after 1000 umol, so it's less efficient, but still more yield.

So a 4X4 tent is 1.49 square meters. The best 600w HPS gives 1190 umol/j/m2, so 1190/1.49 is 798. The best 1000w HPS is 2100 umol/J/m2, so that's 1409.

So there's definitely going to be an increase in yield going from 600w to 1000w in a 4X4.

watts

ohms
Veteran
1000w is a lot harder to cool in a 4x4 tent also. You would probably get better yield with a 1000W in a 5x5 with the right reflector.