What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis Prices & The Coming Devaluation of the Dollar

Many people are talking about this. The dollar is losing value rapidly. The cost of goods and services are going up, up, UP! Gas is higher, and so is the cost of foods. But are prices really going up? Or is the dollar losing value?

When a currency loses value, the cost of goods and services increase. The cost of gold and silver have gone up, since 1 year ago, from $19.00 an ounce for silver, to over $34 an ounce today. Gold was $1000 a year ago, and now it's $1400 an ounce.

That's a 40% to 80% increase in 1 year. That means our dollar has lost 40% to 80% of it's original value in exactly 1 year!!!!!

As well, the dollar is currently on the verge of losing it's world status as the #1 reserve currency. This status has enabled the us to enjoy a lifestyle that we would not have been able to otherwise.

People like Max Kieser predict that when the "devaluation" occurs, it can and most likely will, happen overnight, as it has in past situations in other countries. The next day, you wake up, and a gallon of gas will be $8.00 a gallon, or perhaps, $12.00 a gallon. That is what is being predicted by Max and others like Gerald Celente, and Bob Chapman.

So, here is where my point and questions come in.

Where does cannabis stand in all this?

I think, that when the cost of goods and services triples, the cost of cannabis will as well. That means that people getting $3000 a LB now, will be getting closer to $6000 or even $9000 a LB. But that will not matter too much, because your rent will increase by the same amount, and your cost of gas, and everything you consume. The main thing that I think will happen, is that people who currently grow ANYTHING, even fruit, will be getting 2-3 times their current rates, but they will only be able to get that from the others who can afford it, and are "producers" of goods and services, themselves. For the average Joe out of work, an Ounce will cost $400-$600 or more, and no less. The reason being, no "producer" wll be able to afford to sell their crop for any less than the inflated increase in price to sustain their own cost of living, in the near future, if and when this happens.

The upside for producers will be, at least they "have an existence".

Any thoughts on this?

bobblehead

Veteran
I think you need to finish business school before asking such complex questions. :) Too many factors involved. The price of cannabis doesn't move unilaterally with gold. You have to take into account economies of scale with the cannabis industry. More and more people are getting into the medical industry, more states are decriminalizing consumption... Who told you the dollar is losing power? lol... Against which currency? Do you know how the value of a currency is calculated? The yuan has been held artificially low for at least the past decade... And the Chinese are holding TRILLIONS of dollars... they're not about to let the dollar collapse, and lose their investment. ;) Tell me of a country that's not experiencing recession now.

Like I said, you have more to learn before you can truly understand what you're asking.

Manitoid

How can you deny the dollar is failing?

As soon as there are more consumer economies for Chinese manufacturing, there will be less of a reason for china to hold us in a false limbo above collapse.

I do not think it will take much. replacing the currency that oil is rated by will do it.

All we need to do to guarantee this is to continue to print money at interest.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Couple things, the dollar has been going down overall since it was invented. As said, Chinese and really the whole world depends on U.S. and it's currency.

Pot is a luxury and not like food or shelter. I do not think the dollar will collapse, but it sure isn't getting any stronger is it? Pot price can go up, but essentials will over ride other things. So I kinda agree with you, you are just making it more extreme than I think it will be. If the middle east goes to hell, all bets are off.

bobblehead

Veteran
I didn't deny a struggling dollar... but as I stated, against which currency has it fallen? I have my education in this, so I know a thing or 2... The truth is that the gap between the U$S dollar and the Euro has narrowed in the past 10 years. So which currency has gained against the dollar? The Bolivar...? Evo Morales keeps the value of the Bolivar artificially high... He doesn't like the US.

China is already evolving into a consumer economy. If China allowed the value of the yuan to float, they would have a hard time selling their manufactured goods.

The idea of the "weak dollar" is a fallacy. The dollar just isn't as artificially strong as it was before.

I didn't deny a struggling dollar... but as I stated, against which currency has it fallen? I have my education in this, so I know a thing or 2... The truth is that the gap between the U$S dollar and the Euro has narrowed in the past 10 years. So which currency has gained against the dollar? The Bolivar...? Evo Morales keeps the value of the Bolivar artificially high... He doesn't like the US.

China is already evolving into a consumer economy. If China allowed the value of the yuan to float, they would have a hard time selling their manufactured goods.

The idea of the "weak dollar" is a fallacy. The dollar just isn't as artificially strong as it was before.

Do you work for the Government?

The Rothschilds?

The Federal Reserve Board?

How do you know what you claim to "know"?

bobblehead

Veteran
lol... I went to school and learned to play by their rules. 20% of the population has a bachelors degree. So there's a more than 80% chance that you haven't had any finance classes. I'm not claiming to know everything. I'm telling you how it works. Once you know how something works, you can manipulate it, or you know not to bother anyway...

FYI... I was getting my Finance minor when the stock market crashed in 2007. Real shit. I learned from the news. Textbooks were instantly outdated. Don't try and feed me any propaganda.

Last edited:
lol... I went to school and learned to play by their rules. 20% of the population has a bachelors degree. So there's a more than 80% chance that you haven't had any finance classes. I'm not claiming to know everything. I'm telling you how it works. Once you know how something works, you can manipulate it, or you know not to bother anyway...

FYI... I was getting my Finance minor when the stock market crashed in 2007. Real shit. I learned from the news. Textbooks were instantly outdated. Don't try and feed me any propaganda.
:laughing:

So, you admit your just an average Joe Shmoe with a slightly above average education. Cool Man, now you can get on with your life and get a real education. Good Luck with that endeavor. It's much more difficult once you have been brainwashed.

I never said cannabis was tied to the dollar. If you had read my post, you would know that. You have lost a large percentage of your dollar's buying power. Your dollar is being devalued, even as I type this.

If silver cost $27.00 only 2 weeks ago, and now it's $37.00 an ounce, your dollar can only buy a % of what it did before. You just lost approx. 30% of your purchasing power, in relation to silver. If gold was $1000 an ounce only 1 year ago, and now it's $1400 an ounce, you have lost approx. 25% of your buying power in relation gold.

If a dozen eggs cost $2.00 10 years ago, and now it's $4.00, you lost approx 50% of your buying power.

If gasoline cost $.30 cents more today than it did 2 weeks ago, and gas is approx. $3.00 a gallon, and now it's $3.30, can you tell me where your dollar went? 10% is missing, buddy! Where did it go? Maybe you should ask your college educated friends.

So you assert the federal Reserve can print Trillions of dollars, or extend trillions in credit for bailouts, and the cost of goods and services are skyrocketing, but somehow the dollar is not losing value, because YOU TOOK and ECONOMICS CLASS IN COLLEGE?????

Go smoke another one, buddy. And go back to sleep. You are obviously in your own little world.

Manitoid

:laughing:

So, you admit your just an average Joe Shmoe with a slightly above average education. Cool Man, now you can get on with your life and get a real education. Good Luck with that endeavor. It's much more difficult once you have been brainwashed.

I never said cannabis was tied to the dollar. If you had read my post, you would know that. You have lost a large percentage of your dollar's buying power. Your dollar is being devalued, even as I type this.

If silver cost $27.00 only 2 weeks ago, and now it's $37.00 an ounce, your dollar can only buy a % of what it did before. You just lost approx. 30% of your purchasing power, in relation to silver. If gold was $1000 an ounce only 1 year ago, and now it's $1400 an ounce, you have lost approx. 25% of your buying power in relation gold.

If a dozen eggs cost $2.00 10 years ago, and now it's $4.00, you lost approx 50% of your buying power.

If gasoline cost $.30 cents more today than it did 2 weeks ago, and gas is approx. $3.00 a gallon, and now it's $3.30, can you tell me where your dollar went? 10% is missing, buddy! Where did it go? Maybe you should ask your college educated friends.

So you assert the federal Reserve can print Trillions of dollars, or extend trillions in credit for bailouts, and the cost of goods and services are skyrocketing, but somehow the dollar is not losing value, because YOU TOOK and ECONOMICS CLASS IN COLLEGE?????

Go smoke another one, buddy. And go back to sleep. You are obviously in your own little world.

Totally agree. He over pays for a good old fashioned brainwashing, and even afterwards you sound more intelligent.

BTW, do not invest in gold, invest in long term stored organic food. cannot eat gold.

bobblehead

Veteran
dollar, euro, yuan... they're all losing purchasing power if that's the point you're trying to make. Oil is more expensive around the world. Silver, Gold, w/e... World-wide inflation.

Against which currency has the dollar lost purchasing power? I'm still waiting for that answer.

The future is Green Energy. Energy is a necessity, and the future is solar/wind/geothermal energy. Long term stored organic food? lol... Grow/can your own and sit in your bomb shelter waiting for the revolution to come.

I'll go on to achieve more financial gain and accelerate in my career of choice because of my slightly above average education. please... people come from around the world to get an education at a US University. Luckily my education has also taught me when my words have fallen on deaf ears.

whodare

Veteran
Totally agree. He over pays for a good old fashioned brainwashing, and even afterwards you sound more intelligent.

BTW, do not invest in gold, invest in long term stored organic food. cannot eat gold.

great input...

yea invest in a perishable good... dont forget the tinfoil and ammo.

i would say silver is a better choice for most as its more affordable and there is more room for growth.

and you may not be able to eat gold but since the dawn of history gold has held societal value, therefore while all your long term "organic" stored food is rotting, ill be eating like a king.

whodare

Veteran
ok enough of this poor dirt farmer shit too, where else can you sell flowers for thousands of dollars a pound... if you can't stay afloat getting that get out...

my point is that pot prices will only rise because of greedy cocksuckers who think inflation should be accounted for. well in my book 3000 a # is already inflated.

if you cant do ok selling in a market that is already inflated 1000% then your doing something wrong, so even if the dollar deflates and the cost of everything doubles or worse then 3000 a bow should still get you by.

that is if you live finacially aware and responsible.

E

el dub

LOng-term stored organic food? Sounds like what folks with bomb shelters did back in the 50's.

Btw, if it ever comes to the point of hungry people having to scrounge for food, nobody is going to give two squats about something being organic or no, imo.

lw

M

Milhouse

I think there would be an inverse relationship between the demand for marijuana and the increased price of staple goods. If people have barely enough money to buy groceries and gasoline, they are going to give up luxuries like pot. Also, it would be ALOT harder to find pot, the increased prices would drive down demand, pushing alot of the growers out of business.

The overnight event you are speaking of is quite rare and doesnt happen often in industrialized countries. What you are describing is hyperinflation. It takes quite an event to cause a situation like that, i.e Germany post WWI, Zimbabwe in 2000's, Hungary post WWII. I really dont seeing something like that happeneing in the US unless a MAJOR event happens..not just us losing purchasing power. Our currency has made a comeback against British Pound over the past five years.

whodare

Veteran
I think there would be an inverse relationship between the demand for marijuana and the increased price of staple goods. If people have barely enough money to buy groceries and gasoline, they are going to give up luxuries like pot. Also, it would be ALOT harder to find pot, the increased prices would drive down demand, pushing alot of the growers out of business. yep, there will still be rich people we can take advantage of though...lol

The overnight event you are speaking of is quite rare and doesnt happen often in industrialized countries. What you are describing is hyperinflation. It takes quite an event to cause a situation like that, i.e Germany post WWI, Zimbabwe in 2000's, Hungary post WWII. I really dont seeing something like that happeneing in the US unless a MAJOR event happens..not just us losing purchasing power. Our currency has made a comeback against British Pound over the past five years.
true, but the dollar didnt come back against pound, the pound is just getting hit harder than we are right now
:ying::ying:

bobblehead

Veteran
What's really burning me right now is that I don't think anybody understood about the economies of scale point I had made.

Right now in Cali, growers are pissed that they can't get more than $1,600-2,000 a lb. The state is FLOODED with cannabis. The other med states will follow, it's only a matter of time. That is economies of scale. The production of cannabis is getting cheaper with the large-medium sized operations popping up everywhere. Warehouses and large outdoor ops can afford to sell lbs for $1,600. The same way mom and pop grocery stores became a thing of the past, so will small time dealers... unless they have something unique to give them a competitive advantage... Say growing 20 week thai...

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
Many people are talking about this. The dollar is losing value rapidly. The cost of goods and services are going up, up, UP! Gas is higher, and so is the cost of foods. But are prices really going up? Or is the dollar losing value?

When a currency loses value, the cost of goods and services increase. The cost of gold and silver have gone up, since 1 year ago, from $19.00 an ounce for silver, to over $34 an ounce today. Gold was $1000 a year ago, and now it's $1400 an ounce.

That's a 40% to 80% increase in 1 year. That means our dollar has lost 40% to 80% of it's original value in exactly 1 year!!!!!

As well, the dollar is currently on the verge of losing it's world status as the #1 reserve currency. This status has enabled the us to enjoy a lifestyle that we would not have been able to otherwise.

People like Max Kieser predict that when the "devaluation" occurs, it can and most likely will, happen overnight, as it has in past situations in other countries. The next day, you wake up, and a gallon of gas will be $8.00 a gallon, or perhaps, $12.00 a gallon. That is what is being predicted by Max and others like Gerald Celente, and Bob Chapman.

So, here is where my point and questions come in.

Where does cannabis stand in all this?

I think, that when the cost of goods and services triples, the cost of cannabis will as well. That means that people getting $3000 a LB now, will be getting closer to $6000 or even $9000 a LB. But that will not matter too much, because your rent will increase by the same amount, and your cost of gas, and everything you consume. The main thing that I think will happen, is that people who currently grow ANYTHING, even fruit, will be getting 2-3 times their current rates, but they will only be able to get that from the others who can afford it, and are "producers" of goods and services, themselves. For the average Joe out of work, an Ounce will cost $400-$600 or more, and no less. The reason being, no "producer" wll be able to afford to sell their crop for any less than the inflated increase in price to sustain their own cost of living, in the near future, if and when this happens.

The upside for producers will be, at least they "have an existence".

Any thoughts on this?

if this happened over night the us would be in a full out riot and selling weed would be the last of your worries... -=P

Almost afraid to chime in seeing as how Bobblehead is getting bashed, lol, but it really doesn't work like that.

All paper currencies only have relative value, not intrinsic. You can't just say "gold and silver prices are up 40%, so the dollar is down 40% in value!" It's really quite a lot more complex than that. Gold and silver investments are just one type of good you can purchase with your dollar. If anything, such wild swings in gold and silver are the result of speculation from people thinking like you and reflect reduced confidence in the dollar, not value.

M

Milhouse

Whodare - Whose to say there arent rich schmucks out there like that now? I am sure there are plenty of rich dbags paying stupid prices because they think they are getting something really special. What will be the difference except for far fewer rich people!

Latest posts

Latest posts