What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HomemadePerpetualSOGcab....

TemptedSoul

Hello and welcome to my cab tuning thread! I'm here to try and fine tune this sucker so any criticism-good or bad-will be appreciated! I can take it so lay it on me!
Here she is....

Heres what your looking at:

Mothers are in 32oz styrafoam cups, in the veg cell along with rooted clones vegging.
Clones are taken each saturday, put in rapid rooters, and transfered to the bottom cell into a little plastic box.
After about two weeks they are rooting nicely and are put is six inch square pots with hydroton and moved back up to the veg table. It holds 4 six-inch pots, two weeks worth.
After vegging for two weeks, at about five inches tall, I remove the side branching(most of the time!) and stuff them into the flowering cell, which holds 18 six inch square pots, 9 weeks worth.
Actually, part of the flowering table is sectioned off for flushing, 2 weeks worth or 4 six inch pots.

The ebb&flow sections all get gh 3-part nutes and the mommies are in FF ocean forest soil watered with fish emulsion and pureblend. Moms are bonsai'd and strains are rotated in and out(searching for the holy grail).Currently:AK,Papaya,MasterKush,Cheese,and Trainwreck.
Reservoirs are all made from 3/4 inch plywood coated with fiberglass resin. They are all aeriated by a big sunsystem 900 airpump with 2-inch airstones. The tables are constructed the same way. The tables all flood 4 times a day, 5.5 inches deep. Veg res is kept at 650-700 ppm, ratio 1-1-1 gh 3-part nutes, ph'd at 5.8. Flower res 850-900 ppm, ratio 1-2-3, ph'd at 5.8. Res temps stay at around 69f. Res's are topped off once or twice a week via an icemaker line tapped onto the water supply, and through and icemaker filter.

VEG SECTION:

The veg section holds moms and a flood table, I squeeze seedlings in there too. Moms stay indefinately, usually till something better comes along. Rooted clones are put in sqare pots with hydroton and vegged for two weeks.
Lighting is provided by cfl's, 4-42watt soft white and 1-125watt blue. Bulbs are kept close(I can move them up and down the walls). The lights stay on all the time now but I am thinking of going to a 20-4 schedule because I read that mj does better under that lighting regimen.

CLONE SECTION:

Clones are taken each week, dipped in olivias, and rooted in rapidrooters. I usually cut them to about 3 inches and remove the lower leaves. I have two plastic containers(small aquariums from pet supermarket), one of them is sealed(for the fresh clones) and one of them(the bigger of the two) has some small vents on it to allow the older clones to breathe a bit! I open then up and spray h2o on them about every other day. Temps stay at about 83f and lighting is provided by a 65watt fluorex bulb and fixture(blue). I'm at about 90% success rate right now and since I take 6 or 8 a week and only use 2 or 4, I end up throwing away some awesome rooted clones(I still cant get used to that!).

FLOWER SECTION:

The rooted and vegged 5-6 inchers are then transfered to the flowering cell. This table holds 18 of the square pots, so I put in and take out two a week! I usually only put one cutting per pot but sometimes I use two per pot. Thinking of trying four per pot! Maybe overkill! I aint the doc after all! Once again, the table and the res are both sectioned off so that they can spend their last two weeks in the flushing section with clean water leeching out all the nutes! Lighting is provided by 6-70 watt hps hung vertically and arranged in a kind of tier so as to provide for seperate stages of growth. Bulbs are kept close as they wont burn the plants unless one is touching! Penetration is pretty good(At least thats what my wife tells me!)(Liar!) and overlap helps alot! Temps vary from 72f at night to 82-85f during lights on. Air that is drawn out of this cell is scrubbed by a 6-inch carbon filter(homemade). Awesome negative airpressure in this cell! Also, a four inch duct from a wallshaker a/c unit passively feeds cold air to a light blocking intake on the back of the cab.

The whole cab is ventialted by a stanley blower built into a box in the top of the veg section. It blows out the back of the cab through a modified 6-inch flange(or manifold or whatever). I could put a duct on it and vent it up to the attic, but it does fine blowing out the back of the cabinet. The airbox also holds all the ballasts and the bigass airpump and the electrical wiring hub.
Noise is no problem, the wallshaker a/c makes more noise! Temps are a little high, I know. I am seriousley considering adding a 5000 btu ac to the flower cell and sealing it up for co2.
No light leaks! Its pretty stealthy except for the section of the room next to the cab where all the cloning and mixing and staring takes place!
Yield is about 10g per pot at the moment which is about 20g per week. Not bad, but also not good. Could be much, much more.

WOW!BONUS! Check out this triploid trainwreck! Cant wait to see what this baby does!

TemptedSoul

On and off for 20 years. Mostly off! I've always been very interested in hydroponics. Spent most of my time reading about it and soaking up as much information as possible. Back in the day,"High Times" was the best resource around. The internet has sparked an information revolution! Thank god for Al Gore(Did'nt he invent the internet?)! Spent alot of time on og.

Last edited:

Connoisseur300

Smoke it if ya got it!!
Veteran
TemptedSoul said:
On and off for 20 years. Mostly off! I've always been very interested in hydroponics. Spent most of my time reading about it and soaking up as much information as possible. Back in the day,"High Times" was the best resource around. The internet has sparked an information revolution! Thank god for Al Gore(Did'nt he invent the internet?)! Spent alot of time on og.

I also spent alot of time on OG. It was one bad ass site for sure.

I like the ebb and flow setup you have going there. What size pots do you have your plants in and do you think having small containers in an ebb and flow keeps the size of the plants down?

mg00c

welcome to ic tempted soul :wave: . That is one of the cleanest and most organized micro grow I've ever seen. With some awesome strains to go along with it. what are the dimensions of all the chambers and the whole thing? I must say I'm very jealous of how tuned in your system is. Are any of the strains you're using from nirvana? How do you train your mother plants so that they grow like that; perfectly bushy at the top and very squat (they're absolutely gorgeous)

I will deffinately be following this thread my friend :respect:

smoke1sun

What Goes Around Comes Around. But Am I Comming Or
Veteran
Simply beautiful K+++

Please answer Mg00c questions. THANKS

PS how are your 70 watts lights hung. Im tryin to vertically hang some cfls with my 2-70watt hps but cant think of a easy way to do it, and make them adjustable. THANKS. :rasta:

Last edited:

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Damn, dude, talk about a grand entrance. Double extra very impressive.

Connoisseur300 said:
Fuck me. Your my new best friend. Welcome to ICmag!!
No. Fuck ME. He's MY new best friend. Wanna fight about it? :wave:

TemptedSoul said:
Reservoirs are all made from 3/4 inch plywood coated with fiberglass resin.
I've been contemplating a custom plywood res and was wondering about waterproofing methods. How gnarly is fiberglass resin to work with? Do I need a respirator? Res would be approx 22" x 29" x 12" :respect:

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Holly Shit!!! Thats what I call a Micro Cab!:respect: I'm a CFL dude but have thought of playing with some 70-150w HPS like that and just might after seeing your box good job and welcome to IC broski :friends:

Hey since you've been reading HT for years and your set up reminds me of it. Do you remember a article from like 96 or 97 where dude had a closet full of shelves
with mini hydro tables going ? I think he used 3 inch square net pots in trays 2 inches deep filled with nutrient solution and just had a fish tank pump to circulate the water all day and he grew just straight little cola's.. I dunno this is the closest I've seen so far I think he was growing Jack Herer too if that helps...

Last edited:

bigd21

man that is some cool shit........you are my new hero lol, can we get some pics of the entire cab?, and I am also curious about those 70w hps, where did you get them if you dont mind me asking?

TemptedSoul

Damn..... :wallbash: I cant get the picture-textwrap to work! I wonder if its not working or if I'm doin it wrong.

OK! Enough about that....
Connoisseur300 said:
What size pots do you have your plants in and do you think having small containers in an ebb and flow keeps the size of the plants down?
Six inch square pots and no, not in this setup. I have seen big heavy buds come out of 20oz soda bottles. The amount of veg time is closely related to pot size. The amount of usable space is the main limiting factor. I actually am wondering if smaller is better from a grams per watt standpoint after reading Doc's cfl stuff(Doing experiment). If you mean stretch, bigger pot=more stretch. Packed in tightley without enough light penetration=more stretch. Debate anyone?

mg00c said:
what are the dimensions of all the chambers and the whole thing?
Are any of the strains you're using from nirvana?
How do you train your mother plants so that they grow like that?
Its an entertainment center that once held a big tv. Dimensions are 4'11" tall x 4'11" wide x 20 inches deep.
The Papaya(awesome) and the masterkush are from nirvana. Amazing for inexpensive seeds!
Establish good roots and then trim them(the plants,not the roots) back. Frequent pruning with good roots is the key to bonsai! Reveg plants always work well for this too!
smoke1sun said:
how are your 70 watts lights hung?
Coffee cup hooks!

The wire around the hook! Completely adjustable!
FreezerBoy said:
How gnarly is fiberglass resin to work with?
Do I need a respirator?
Fiberglass resin is pretty knarley, latex gloves are a plus(less cleanup). Respirator recommended but not necessary, as long as you have good ventilation(my house smelled bad for awhile because i glassed everything in my livingroom next to my harley, wife kicked me in my junk, smell cleared within a few hours, life went on.).
Thundurkel said:
Do you remember a article from like 96 or 97 where dude had a closet full of shelves with mini hydro tables going?
Not specifically but I have seem similar stuff over the years.
bigd21 said:
can we get some pics of the entire cab?, and I am also curious about those 70w hps, where did you get them if you dont mind me asking?
I Will take some breakdown pics soon so you can see more of the guts of the system. Lights came from lowes. 30$ security light ripped apart and ballasts remotified.

Thanks all for the compliments! :redface: Im Blushing!

tngreen

Veteran
wow man, awesome setup! definitely a lot of thought went into that, great job! doubt you will find much criticism here haha. i noticed you said you weren't too happy with the yields you have been getting. you ever thought about giving Coco-coir a try? you could use it exactly like you are using the hydroton and i think it could increase your yields. there some great examples of Coco E&F in the coco forum, go check it out. welcome to ICmag and keep it green!

TemptedSoul

Came looking for feedback! Thx for your suggestion. Second time I've heard that this week! I guess coco deserves some lookin into.
I need to make a list of upgrades I'm thinking of and see what you guys think. I was already considering the coco thing. I also was told that HYGROZYMEwould improve my yields. Dude claimed it would almost double my output!

I need an avitar! Any suggestions? :confused:

Last edited:

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
TemptedSoul said:

Thanks all for the compliments! :redface: Im Blushing!

Well get used to em cuz coming around here with a organized box like that you are a inspiration to a lot of new growers and old :rasta: I need a entertainment center....

imnotcrazy

There is ALWAYS meaning to my madness ®
Veteran
TemptedSoul: You seem like a man of my own heart, here's my old thread, VERY similar to your set-up, just I worked out of 2 cabs:

Kudos on the build and efficiency of your set-up

imnotcrazy

There is ALWAYS meaning to my madness ®
Veteran
Also, to add, just noticed the Hygrozyme suggestion.... IDK how an Enzymatic suppliment will add to your yields if you don't have any issues with your grow. I've used it a lot in the past and all it seems to add is a large expense at $40/quart, UNLESS you need to correct some root problems

Cymbaline

I'm too much of n00b to offer any constructive comments on your grow, but I have an idea for avatar -

it should be a tokin' Jesus, because you are obviously a GOD! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Connoisseur300

Smoke it if ya got it!!
Veteran
FreezerBoy said:
Damn, dude, talk about a grand entrance. Double extra very impressive.

No. Fuck ME. He's MY new best friend. Wanna fight about it? :wave:
OH IT'S ON!!!! :asskick:
How you doing buddy. :rasta:

I've been contemplating a custom plywood res and was wondering about waterproofing methods. How gnarly is fiberglass resin to work with? Do I need a respirator? Res would be approx 22" x 29" x 12" :respect:

I have no idea how to make a fiberglass res. Can anyone explain to me please??

Latest posts

Latest posts