What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Motherlode Gardens 2020

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Keep up the good work! You guys get it done! God Bless America!

Thanks for sharing! I am looking forward to watching all the great lines. Ancient OG Afghans are a must have. The medicine is some of the best. I went toward the sativa side with my DC crosses and now I am pulling it back indica. Just selected my 2 males today! I cut off pollination early by early to mid August to minimize seed production.

I grow a densely planted medicine garden about 100-120 sq ft. and I just mulched with peat humus plus composted manure. Put on about 3 or 4 inches thickness and I think its helping the plants. Got them all bonzai pruned and watered with about 44 gal. They are neck high today and moving like bamboo! :smoke:

Have you considered mulching with 3-4 inches peat/manure compost? Would probably help in with the heat out there.

Have a good one! Do who you be! Thanks! :smoke:

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
hmm hope everything is going well down there. it's been weeks and no updates? :(
Ask and you shall receive!

July Update:
The garden is, for the most part, crushing it! This year we have some of the biggest, healthiest plants i have ever seen.

:woohoo:

The heat of the summer really kicked things into high gear in the past few weeks. We've been struggling to keep up with the rate at which the big plants are growing. We just finished the first round of pruning and the first layer of trellis netting, and we already have to start putting a second layer of trellis up on some of the bigger plants. I think I'm going to pick up an orchard ladder at the store tomorrow so i dont break my neck on the hill while hanging nets.

:laughing:

We still have not started doing any root drenches for the big girls, but we are foliar feeding once or twice a week. When we foliar feed we also spray with Venerate and Grandevo for russet mites, rotating them with each application. I have been debating whether or not to spray them with sulfur dust as well, as it is effective against mites, but i'm not sure i need to since we are using the Grandevo/Venerate combo and it seems to be working so far.. The plants have shown very few signs of possible russet mite damage. I still have nightmares about those things. In my opinion they are one of the worst problems an outdoor grower can have.

Our seed project is coming along nicely! we're about a month into our light-dep and the Ancient OG males are dumping pollen now. I can see tons of seeds forming inside the female flowers. We have a few standouts in there including a tremendous Ancient OG f2 which smells like pure heaven. Does anyone know what the offspring is called when you cross an f2 female with an f4 male? Anyway I think we have about a month left with the seed project. This is my first time doing a light dep but i have to say it has worked out pretty well so far. The schedule is not too tough (cover at 5:30pm, uncover at 10:00pm), and the plants seem to be happy, and I will be happy too if we get a lot of seeds from this..

seed project light-dep:
AYKH68bh.jpg

On a personal note, our life here in the mountains is going rather well lately, despite the global pandemic. It hasn't seemed to affect our small community. Last fall we started throwing outdoor parties every month for the full moon, and since then we haven't missed a month, and have been meeting lots of cool people in the area , tons of growers! I learned to DJ and bought a decent sound system, and have been bringing up some DJ friends from LA to play the parties with me, and other people have contributed various things like live painting, fire dancing, and some great private locations.

We just got a new puppy . She's my other dog Bud's grand-neice, from the same line. She is like a tiny little version of him, only 13 weeks old right now. My wife is delighted and when she's happy i'm happy!

introducing Mia, a.k.a. Sinsemilla:

Z2z7px7h.jpg

j9gUsImh.jpg

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Sour Blue Haze

Sour Blue Haze

"Sour Blue Haze" - (gg4 X blueberry temple) - from Stray Fox Genetics:

We're only growing one of these this year but it is quite a specimen. She seems to be always happy. Perfect internodal spacing and lateral growth. I haven't grown it before so not sure what to expect but if the flowers turn out to be as good as the plant structure it will be quite impressive.

0O8smkah.jpg

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Fanta

Fanta

"Fanta" - (Sprite x Mandarina) - from @midpinesglass

This cross is made from two of our farm favorites, the Sprite and the Mandarina. They both pack a punch and a loud citrus flavor profile. We have not grown the Fanta before but if it takes after its parents it is sure to be a winner. We have several of these out on the hill and they all have a very uniform structure, forming almost perfectly-round globes. We have a couple smaller ones flowering right now in our light-dep and they smell tremendous, like limes and orange spice.

c1lZI6vh.jpg

QYGW5S9h.jpg

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Lava Flow

Lava Flow

"Lava Flow" - (Strawberry Milk x Ancient OG) - made here @motherlodeseeds:

We only have one of these in the garden. It's my first year growing it in the mounds but we grew her in our native soil garden a couple years ago and it was one of the frostiest, chunkiest strains we grew that season. The flavor profile is interesting, very sweet and creamy, which you would not necessarily expect from a cross whose lineage includes Bubba Kush and Sour Diesel, but very nice nonetheless.

It's hard to tell in the picture but this plant is about 8 feet tall and nearly as wide. She also has gorgeous dark purple/red stems from top to bottom, and tremendous vigor. She was from seeds that were started a week after the rest so she had a bit of catching-up to do, but now she is getting just as big and fat as any of her campmates here.

tadTRfSh.jpg

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Ancient OG f4 (purple stem)

Ancient OG f4 (purple stem)

Ancient OG f4 - (Iranian Landrace x Snow Lotus) - originally created by Bodhi Seeds, taken to f4 here @motherlodeseeds:

What can i say about this strain that hasn't already been said? It seems redundant to once again describe her incredible vigor, perfect structure, and beautiful appearance. This strain brings me great joy. She is a staple in our garden and has gotten me through some hard times. The flowers are incredibly resinous and potent, and have been known to cure many ailments. We are excited to be making f5's of the Ancient OG this year to continue this great line.

These two Ancient OG f4's pictured here are the biggest plants in our garden right now. I guess they are competing with each other to see who can get the trophy!

FfllWO6h.jpg

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Yosemite Glue

Yosemite Glue

"Yosemite Glue" - (gg4 x Ancient OG) - made here @motherlodeseeds

These ones get really huge. I mean massive. In terms of vigor and structure they can't be beat, but the flowers are really what stand out. Doughy, gassy, chocolate, and sour, covered in a thick coat of glistening trichomes. This strain really combines the best qualities of its parents , the Gorilla Glue and the AOG. Last year we had one that yielded over 15-pounds of top-quality sticky icky.

The plants pictured are nearly 10 feet wide, and it's not even august yet!

tVJ9lLxh.jpg

40degsouth

Congratulations Shrews,
I’m so very happy for you, your wife and of course Bud-e and great grand niece?
It’s only a matter of time before those russets make their way here, I’d imagine and l can’t thank you enough for sharing your experiences and knowledge.
I’m wishing you all, all the very best for the next few months and l really like the new trellising technique you’re trialling off the internal cage.
Cheers,

LizardMan

The size of those plants in the light dep for a seed run are ridiculous, love it man. Cant wait to see the seasons progression, not even august yet!!!

carson

Everything looks amazing once again. Great work. Are you not doing any native soil plants/plot this year? Thanks for sharing with us.

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Yosemite Glue" - (gg4 x Ancient OG) - made here @motherlodeseeds

These ones get really huge. I mean massive. In terms of vigor and structure they can't be beat, but the flowers are really what stand out. Doughy, gassy, chocolate, and sour, covered in a thick coat of glistening trichomes. This strain really combines the best qualities of its parents , the Original Glue and the AOG. Last year we had one that yielded over 15-pounds of top-quality sticky icky.

The plants pictured are nearly 10 feet wide, and it's not even august yet!

View Image

Everything looks super sweet:ying:

HHILL

Nice Shcrews! Looks better every year man. It’ll be interesting to see how the Ancient f4’s turn out.

I liked the f3’s I made from my selections better than the f4s I made. Never took them to f5 though! The f3 I have tastes like mojitos almost. Either way it’s a beast of a plant with incredible potency. It has been cool to see all the hybrids you’ve made with the Ancient line as well. Props to you and man the garden is all time this season!

Peace!

PS - the Space Monkey pairs well with HA OG if you ever go down that road.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sweet sweet summertime! The heat does help them grow! Thanks for sharing! Will be back to check it out later. Time to get out the orchard ladder! :smoke:

Latest posts

Latest posts