What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My holy grail: Meigs County Gold

Dinix

First, I need to know if this strain truly exists/existed.

It's a bit of a local legend, SUPPOSEDLY it was a land strain native to the Ohio River valley. Discovered and commercially grown in Meigs County Ohio (hence the name), it was/is an Indica variety that turned nearly a neon yellow when fully ripened. The high is/was worthy of legend as well, with many old farts (subjectively) in the area saying that it was "the craziest pot I've ever smoked, man".

To me, Meigs County Gold is the holy grail of strains. It may or may not exist, but if it does exist it has the potential to rewrite my personal history. If anyone out there has any information on this one, please lemme know.

rosebuds

Meigs county is home to a lot of very talented growers. Those guys also like their "G13," not sure if it's the same cut as other G's, but the nugs are piney, resinous, and stony. I tried something called G-Thai, which I think was a g13/vision thai cross, and it was incredible. I have no information on the meigs gold though.

Dinix

Nor do most peoples. It's strange that as embedded as it is in folks minds around here, nobody seems to know anything about it.

Those guys also like their "G13," not sure if it's the same cut as other G's, but the nugs are piney, resinous, and stony. I tried something called G-Thai, which I think was a g13/vision thai cross, and it was incredible.

I was going to mention something about the resemblance behind the folklore of G-13 and Meigs Gold. It's almost the same except one comes from the government and the other comes from a bunch of farmers in the middle of BFE.

C

cyberwax

Found this doing some digging on the net, may be of some help.

---

Meigs Gold pot"s reputation may be somewhat hallucinatory
By Corey Ryan

March 10, 2008

Meigs Gold is a kind of illicit treasure rolled in a blunt or packed into a bong. Instead of 49ers digging into mines, however, Meigs County has pirate horticulturists planting seeds next to a neighbor’s row of corn.

Across the Ohio University campus and around Ohio, the marijuana seed strain known as Meigs Gold has become a cult legend.

Some are convinced MG was the Grateful Dead’s marijuana of choice when they toured Ohio back in the day. If it wasn’t Jerry Garcia getting high, supposedly Willie Nelson would toke up with the local produce. In Amsterdam, The Netherlands, Meigs Gold purportedly won the Cannabis Cup.

Because Meigs County, just to the south of Athens, is among the poorest in the state, land is cheap and local law enforcement battles a shrinking budget, sources say that it’s easy, cheap and relatively safe to grow marijuana in Meigs County.

“The saying goes, if you want to kill somebody, you do it in Meigs County because you’ll never get prosecuted,” said Margaret Parker, longtime member of the Meigs community and president of the county’s historical society.

As for Meigs Gold, while it has local renown, its reputation apparently isn’t that well-traveled.

“No one in California is buying to get Meigs County Gold,” said Steve Hager, editor in chief of High Times magazine.

Some of the stories glorifying Meigs Gold are apocryphal, too.

For instance, seed entry from Ohio into the Cannabis Cup, the annual marijuana seed competition held in Amsterdam, is as fictional as a talking dog. The Academy Awards for marijuana cultivation is reserved for major seed-manufacturing companies, sometimes from the United States since some states permit medical marijuana, Hager said.

If Hager, the country’s leading marijuana activist and founder of the Cannabis Cup, needs to search Google to become familiar with Meigs Gold, he said, then the marijuana was probably never internationally or nationally acclaimed.

Hager guessed that MG’s reputation is mainly local or regional at most. It’s not uncommon for an area to have a dominant strain of pot, he said, but cultivation is totally illegal in Ohio, unlike the 12 states where medical marijuana is legal under state law.

“Peter,” an OU junior who asked not to be identified for obvious reasons, said he thought Meigs Gold won the 1994 Cannabis Cup, but it never made sense to him because the stories he heard also said the high point of the county’s marijuana came in the ’70s.

“I always heard rumors,” said Peter, who went to an area high school. “You always heard rumors that you could just walk around Meigs and run into it.”

Peter doesn’t grow his own marijuana, but he said he has a friend from Meigs who does.

“One day he went to his dad and tried to buy an eighth (ounce),” Peter said. “He knew his dad had been growing it. He told him if he wouldn’t sell it to him, he would just go somewhere else. Eventually, his dad showed him how to grow it.”

Neither Peter’s friend nor his father agreed to be interviewed for this article.

Despite Meigs’s regional reputation, Ohio marijuana remains on the back burner.

Ohio is not among the 11 states listed by the National Drug Intelligence Center as a leading producer of marijuana. Kentucky, Tennessee and West Virginia (only a bridge away from Meigs) are on the list, but Ohio’s estimated 48,250 cultivated plants in 2005 does not compare to the over 2 million in California, half of the country’s estimated total.

However small the amount when compared to other states, a respectable amount of marijuana does grow in Meigs County, county Sheriff Robert Beegle, DEA agent Tony Marotta and Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation agent Dennis Lowe all confirmed.

Lowe said the number of plants is high enough that it’s not credible to assume the marijuana grown in the county is strictly for recreation.

In 2007, Ohio saw 51,093 seized plants, 9,000 more than the previous year, but Lowe attributed that to better eradication efforts rather than more pot growing in the state.

Stricken with budget cuts, the sheriff’s department does not pay as much attention to marijuana as other illegal drugs.

“We don’t get the marijuana,” conceded Beegle, a member of the sheriff’s department for 50 years, who recalled several drug raids but few convictions. “People will tell you about it, but not when you can do anything about it. No citizens will step up to testify against anyone. People’s values have changed here, that’s for sure.”

The drugs the department pays the most attention to now are methamphetamine labs, prescription medication abuse and cocaine. Cars have been broken into so people could steal prescription medication, Beegle said.

The marijuana reputation affects not only the growers and law enforcement, but also the residents of Meigs County. Margaret Parker has lived in Meigs, or on the border of Meigs and Athens counties, for more than 60 years. She can remember when the stores of downtown Pomeroy, the county seat of Meigs, remained open on Friday and Saturday nights making the town a vital center for commerce.

Now, when Parker drives to another county, she said, people read her license plate and ask her if she has any Meigs County Gold.

But she’ll never leave Meigs. Once she moved to Columbus, hated it and moved back. It’s a trend in this scenic, rural southeast Ohio county. Those who don’t stay for their entire lives often come back to buy a lot of land, retire and avoid the chaos of big city living.

As for Meigs Gold, some stories never die."

I seem to recall a buzz about sending the seeds into High Times back in 1993, I didn't believe it. I left in 1993 never went back to much. Thinking of moving back (just isn't any work). Plenty of places to grow MJ. People grow it everywhere. Then there was the people with the bear traps, packs of pitbulls, and rifles. Needless to say that wasn't fun to walk up on. It was a thriving hemp rope making town (Pomeroy) back in the day. There are old factories in remote places with the hillsides terraced in a way that a spring at the top of the hill (yes spring at the top most hills have them down there) would water the hemp on its way down the hill. Now, at havest time, leo, sets up "speed traps" on all major roads in/out of the county. And really "Meigs Gold" isn't the best smoke, its good though. It was another I came across down there...we called "ubgold"...I was told a Vietnam vet brung it back from the war. I know it made me feel like gold and I never got much of a tolerance to it.

peace.

Dinix

Great piece of information. Thank you.

the only problem is I STILL DON'T KNOW IF IT REALLY EXISTS! lol

It's really the nostalgia that drives me to find it. We all have the most potent strains in the WORLD at our disposal through mail-orders. but like the lady said "some stories never die"

bigherb

Veteran
lov too hear more bout her all this tlk n noo description of the strain

can we pleez get a smoke report

94 cc lmao jh was da winner i wasnt there either but i neva heard of mg till now

bensittinback

no its true guys ive had the so called gold and it was some trippy kickass shit!!!!!! i wonder if the strain is still around????? id bet it is still kickin, lol.:joint:

bensittinback

had a unique taste to it ....cant describe very well but faint skunky undertones were present... and lockdown ensued lol ... couchlock shit...

Dinix

Land strain native to the Ohio River valley?

No such a thing.

Although Meigs Gold may not be that land strain, I have to call bullcrap. There is record of "wild hemp" in the valley from sources including Harry J. Anslinger and anthropological records. Fields of it even. It has been all but completely eradicated.

Although Meigs Gold may not be that land strain, I have to call bullcrap. There is record of "wild hemp" in the valley from sources including Harry J. Anslinger and anthropological records. Fields of it even. It has been all but completely eradicated.

"Wild hemp" yes. That I do not doubt. Native however, it is not.

K

Kola Radical

Actually there are many other local legend strans and land race or at least wild growing pot like we used to search for all over south texas.

Actually there are many other local legend strans and land race or at least wild growing pot like we used to search for all over south texas.

Its been well documented that Cannabis has been cultivated in many areas of the United states for hundreds of years now Kola. Despite great efforts on the part of the U.S Government to eradicate them, ancestors of these plants still grow wild in many states of the union. I've seen them with my own eyes, and certainly don't question their existence.
None of these Cannabis plants are native land races however. Their origins are from elsewhere, most likely India or China. If you can show me some literature thats states otherwise though Kola, I would really love to read it! :D

I certainly don't want this thread to veer off topic, as this is not my intention. I simply want the information contained within to be accurate.

I sincerely hope you manage to locate a source of the Meigs county gold Dinix, and that it does prove to be the "grail" of which you seek! :cool:
Your search is one I am certain many members here at ICmag can definitely relate to.

Last edited:
No Meigs county Gold is not a landrace to Ohio, it was said as posted NATIVE to Ohio!

Even my Grandpa knows that it came from a University project, lot's of University's other than Mississippi have their own research projects. So much is denied, because of an international treaty that banned for any country ratifying; to have more than one cultivation facility. You would be amazed how much of the domestic policy issues come from international issues.

Meigs county has good pot, but honestly you can find that almost anywhere. I would say that the Amish grow the best weed; that is not a huge secret, nor that they don't know a good bit about chemistry. I've heard they can make all sorts of "things" from sassafras.

Meigs county Gold is an old strain, surely worth toking on but with that kind of organic attention.......what isn't good. Lot's of hippies in Ohio, lot's of growers around the Ohio river area; Ohio/Kentucky river area grows more than Northern California. People just get so lost in what people say that have made a name for them self. So that is why so many famous people talk badly about the real G13 story being true........a girl smuggled clones out and people want to downplay what is more powerful perceptually than themselves. N yep there are other cannabis production facilities, uncle sam just loves covert operations. Pretty much the bread and butter of United States culture, covert operations and Virginia farm boys.

Anyhow, surely Meigs county gold beats the pants off of Dumpster. I think someone threw that away for a reason, just of left it there.

dopeshow

I'm about 96% sure that good outdoor from Meigs County just took on the name, "Meigs County Gold." Meigs County is just right at or near the top in Ohio for outdoor growing, and the bud that comes out of there has built a local reputation because of it. The whole south/southeast area of Ohio is really really good for outdoor crop because of the terrain. Starting to get into those mountainous, heavily wooded areas. A guerilla growers dream.

Is it a land race, no.

Is it one single strain like say a White Widow, Blueberry, or Hindu Kush... no.

Is it good, yes.

Ohio is full of farmers and country folk. Growing plants, whether its beans corns tomatoes and peppers in a garden or cannabis, that's what they do. It's very different from the modern chemical fert, gotta be hydro, gotta have the hortilux bulb growing. It's good 'ol boys doing their thing, so of course it's going to turn out good. Best in the country good? Nah...

bigherb

Veteran
Its been well documented that Cannabis has been cultivated in many areas of the United states for hundreds of years now Kola

come on bro americas history is only a few hundred years old

i dont kno of any landrace U.S. strains documented caz there is none

ive lov to hear a few

Pirate138

the Revenant
Veteran
No Meigs county Gold is not a landrace to Ohio, it was said as posted NATIVE to Ohio!

Even my Grandpa knows that it came from a University project, lot's of University's other than Mississippi have their own research projects. So much is denied, because of an international treaty that banned for any country ratifying; to have more than one cultivation facility. You would be amazed how much of the domestic policy issues come from international issues.

Wow there are alot of things wrong in this paragraph. international treaty? What banned marijuana was the 1971 Controled substance act. And NO there are no other universities that grow and study pot besides Univ of Ms. A few others have petitioned but were denied. A university would NEVER illegally grow and study pot in violation of US fed law, they could lose everything. Please try to not spread erroneous info guys.