What's new

Finishing times, Photoperiod, Latitude, and how it all works!!

NENugger

After reading this thread, (very informative, thanks) it seems like knowing the light/ dark ratio say 15/9 when a strain began flowering would be crucial to figuring out finishing time for different locations. Would that work?

little-soldier

I wonder if you could test different strains indoor by starving their light cycles. i.e. starting from 15h lights on, wait 2 weeks if they dont flower, go down to 14h and so on.
judging by the quickness of a perticular strain/pheno you could pretty much tell if it will finish outdoors in your area

Pédetoddy

Original skunk #1 flowering in summer soustice, lat 19
Female
picture.php

Male
picture.php

DenverJim

I’ve been outside for almost 10yrs. There are useless strains for outside. Afg #1 from Seedsman might finish inside in 45 days but outside it takes till Nov. I even grew clones last year.
I have found that beeeders flowering times either days or month is of little value since you don’t know weather the seeds were produced inside or outside in a greenhouse with light dep or not.
My belief is that a lot of seeds are produced in southern Spain around 40 degrees N.
I have found that if a plant is grown and seeds are produced and grown outside again they will finish faster. I also had a clone I grew last year from an outside plant. It was about a few month earlier than the original plant. I think starting plants outside let’s them adjust to the photo period and flower so may finish earlier. That is what I am doing this year.
Tropical sativas usually will start in August and just wait till early sept to really produce some will finish by late Sept. I grew hashplant haze, nevil’s skunk , super hz freebie from delicious. The hash plant hz did poorly tiny buds that tasted like shit. The other two produced a massive yield. Finished early Nov. It depends on Oct weather here.
I tried northern varieties awhile back and they don’t do well this far south. Flower fast with marble sized buds with little potency. ( Swiss cheese another worthless strain) Experience and paying attention to everything helps.