What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

This Is How You End Salt Buildup In Your Medium Forever!!!

Hey KrunchBubble, nice thread. I was just reading about this stuff the other day.

When you water your coco, do you water until run off with this Drip Clean??

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Hey KrunchBubble, nice thread. I was just reading about this stuff the other day.

When you water your coco, do you water until run off with this Drip Clean??

appreciate it, just trying to help out.........

it all on how you water. personally, i dont water till runoff. drip clean works no matter how you water

phattybudz

Hey Krunch I'm running coco A&B with 300ppm/7.2ph tap water, canna terra pro+, (not sure if you're familiar, soilless mix w/peat&stuff... needs less frequent watering than coco) with drip-clean& all other additives. (You don't use shooting powder btw? Another bloom booster?)

Anyways, no run-off?? I always heard run-off was necessary with coco... right now I'm watering 1x a day with dripper stakes 16 3-gallon pots w/3 gallons run-off... thinking that's a bit too much... if I do 1 minute waterings it would be 1.5 gallons run-off or so... whaddya think?

Thanks!! Also what do you think about tap water and H&G in general, somebody said they'd cut their nutes in half, that seems low though. I have been getting browned edges/almost turning white throughout the whole leaf, some soft some crunchy...

I have a BUNCH of A+B left and I have to use this tap water, so I'm really hoping I can work out my issues...

Darth Fader

Thx Krunch. Your threads are always helpful and kickass! I started feeding straight ph'd ro +5 ml Florakleen (EDIT: Every 4th day) to avoid salt buildup in coco and it's been working great in veg so far. I'm going to start increasing the interval to see how far I can push it. Don't know if it works the same way or not, but I'm looking fwd to trying the H&G line once I use up the GH.

snaggy

-Drip Clean From House And Garden-

i get pm's all the time asking why i dont flush my medium or how to use drip clean properly. so, i figured i would post info about it to get out to the masses.
drip clean creates an ionic bond with the salt molecule in your nutrient, making it impossible to build up in your medium. you use under a 1/2 mil per gallon and is very reasonably priced. simple to use, just add to your normal nutrient regimen. they suggest flushing with water the last few days to leech the medium completely. my last crop, i was watering with 1800 ppm's and had 0 ppm runoff after 2 water flushes.
this product is extremely valuable to new growers and pros alike. seeing the amount of people with big time lock out problems or nutrient deficiency, this product will alleviate most of that, if not all.
more people need to try this stuff, its cheap, non brainer, it plain works great! personally i will not grow without it.......:eggnog:

info from website.....
House & Garden Drip Clean is a 100% safe agent providing it is used in the right proportion. Drip Clean contains potassium and phosphors compounds, two very powerful and useful elements in the nutritional plan of the plant. These two compounds have had their chemical molecules changed to remove one of their structures. This makes the molecule into a kind of magnet, as molecules always try to complete themselves. Drip clean attracts dirt particles with every feeding, keeping the drip system clean. Drip Clean can also be used to keep your medium at an optimal EC-TDS level, saving you to flush as often as it will remove salt buildup. Drip clean never fails and is very effective against clogged dripper systems and piping.

Thanks for the post krunch!

But that post leaves me with way more questions.
Site states it contains P & K.
How much P & K?
Coco growers definitely need to know. Otherwise they will question possible K toxicity.
:)

These two compounds have had their chemical molecules changed to remove one of their structures. This makes the molecule into a kind of magnet, as molecules always try to complete themselves. Drip clean attracts dirt particles with every feeding, keeping the drip system clean.
Oh, so the missing molecule is dirt?
LOL.
Also, no mention of removing salts there. Just dirt.

As I understand it, common sense tells me that not cleaning your res cannot remove salts.
So Drip Clean must either relocate the salts, or transform the salts.

If It relocates them.
So you still have an overdose of salt in your solution, but it just doesn't collect at the roots now?
And if it doesn't collect at the roots, then it doesn't collect anywhere, but it is still there pumping constantly through the system.
Does the plants eat salts? If they don't then the salt ppm is constantly rising, whether it is a solid salt stuck at the root or liquid salt flowing through the root.

OR.
If it transforms them.
Then the original nutrient formula is also transformed in some way, making it less efficient.
Or Nutrient companies would just manufacture their nutes to be like this right out of the bottle.

I'm glad it works for you.
But until I find the answers to my above questions, I am far from sold.
Or
Does the plant just ignore the liquified salts altogether?
Should we as a community be speaking of the bads of "solidified salts" only instead?
Makes sense that solidified salts would also choke the plant from having a full root surface to fully feed from.

PS.
I currently only use Nutri+ Clear for a final flush, emergency plant overdose cure (but never happens), and for pump/system maintenance cleaning without plants in system.

HardCoir

Krunch your vert setups inspired me to try, much respect. I use DC but have a Couple Q's.....
1) Do you see any reason to hesitate introducing mid-grow?
2) What could the results be if accidentaly overdosed with DC? ie more than .5ml/gal-
as I may have done this. Would 1ml/gal be cause to remix a res if its for early veg?
THX

Think I could use this to pre flush my soilless medium? I have been having serious problems with my sunshine mix coming out of the bag at an EC of 2.8, and I'm not sure what to do about it. I am considering switching over to perlite as a medium. Thanks for the input.

I used pearlit in a water farm as a medium, worked great, but easy nute overdoase!

opt1c

Veteran
i've been having fun using drip clean in 1gal coco pots feeding with no runoff.... plants r happy and its a lot less work for my lazy ass considering i have over 64 1 gal coco pots ;)

SergeantGod

i've used DRIP CLEAN since i started about a year ago. Never had a salt problem. Never Flush.
Use Final Phase and Hygrozyme the last three weeks and NEVER FLUSHED.

FYI, I HATE FLUSHING. 50 PLANTS IN 15 GALLON POTS!!! THAT'S A LOT OF WATER

killerweed31

Smile Vs Cry
Veteran
i've used DRIP CLEAN since i started about a year ago. Never had a salt problem. Never Flush.

hey bro u use only final phase and hygrozyme for the last three weeks, this is good and i think is like you flushed you no!?!?

danieltanner

Thanks for the post krunch!

But that post leaves me with way more questions.
Site states it contains P & K.
How much P & K?
Coco growers definitely need to know. Otherwise they will question possible K toxicity.
:)

Oh, so the missing molecule is dirt?
LOL.
Also, no mention of removing salts there. Just dirt.

As I understand it, common sense tells me that not cleaning your res cannot remove salts.
So Drip Clean must either relocate the salts, or transform the salts.

If It relocates them.
So you still have an overdose of salt in your solution, but it just doesn't collect at the roots now?
And if it doesn't collect at the roots, then it doesn't collect anywhere, but it is still there pumping constantly through the system.
Does the plants eat salts? If they don't then the salt ppm is constantly rising, whether it is a solid salt stuck at the root or liquid salt flowing through the root.

OR.
If it transforms them.
Then the original nutrient formula is also transformed in some way, making it less efficient.
Or Nutrient companies would just manufacture their nutes to be like this right out of the bottle.

I'm glad it works for you.
But until I find the answers to my above questions, I am far from sold.
Or
Does the plant just ignore the liquified salts altogether?
Should we as a community be speaking of the bads of "solidified salts" only instead?
Makes sense that solidified salts would also choke the plant from having a full root surface to fully feed from.

PS.
I currently only use Nutri+ Clear for a final flush, emergency plant overdose cure (but never happens), and for pump/system maintenance cleaning without plants in system.

These are valid questions I think. I can see how it would be feasible for Drip Clean to keep your lines clear and that it could remove salts if you were running a water to waste system. In a no waste water setup tho, where do those salts go?

Krunchbubble, I've been following your threads for a while and you've been a big inspiration in my own setup so if your saying it's the shit I'll give it a try.. what are your thoughts on this tho?

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
These are valid questions I think. I can see how it would be feasible for Drip Clean to keep your lines clear and that it could remove salts if you were running a water to waste system. In a no waste water setup tho, where do those salts go?

Krunchbubble, I've been following your threads for a while and you've been a big inspiration in my own setup so if your saying it's the shit I'll give it a try.. what are your thoughts on this tho?

it does have a npk, cant remember it though, maybe 0-25-0?

i run no to minimal runoff and it works great. i have no clue the salts go! i know that id does work! i do notice white balls, very small ones on the tops of my coco, looks like salt buildup, but its not?

Why do you use an enzyme "hygrozyme" at end of cycle?

danieltanner

it does have a npk, cant remember it though, maybe 0-25-0?

i run no to minimal runoff and it works great. i have no clue the salts go! i know that id does work! i do notice white balls, very small ones on the tops of my coco, looks like salt buildup, but its not?

Alright man.. I'm going to be running a 50 gal res top drip with 30x5 gal coco buckets, open bulb style pretty soon. So I'm going to try teh Drip Clean and hope that it at least keeps my lines hassle free. I'm sure I'll post some pictures here when the shit gets going.

Last edited:
E

emerald city

Cant quite rap my head around this one....A salt doesnt just disappear...
Im familar with promix, when you fert your leaving behind excess salts that tend to build up with time.Even running a low fert continous feed program dialed in , its hard to keep the numbers from creeping up through out the grow.....so how does the drip clean work ??