What's new

2016 - Cannabis Legalization Bill - Clarification

Bobbles

Below is the bill Nevada will be voting on in 2016, from what I understand. I'm trying to figure out what the law will be regarding personal cultivation.

Is this the bill below? It states in Sec. 6 - Personal Cultivation 6 plants and the next sentence 12 plants. Does anyone know anything about this bill?

Or should I just move to a state thats already and stop wasting my time?

I just want to grow and can no longer afford the MMJ license but need meds. No one knows how to grow out here and the med quality sucks.

Im also for hire. Thanks to anyone who can help.

http://nvsos.gov/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=3294

From my understanding they are going to allow individuals to grow 6 plants per residence. The catch is that you must follow the distance requirements to grow at home, meaning you have to be 25 miles away from a dispensary (medical or adult use) to legally grow your medicine. If you live in Vegas good luck living 25 miles away from a dispensary.

Bobbles

From my understanding they are going to allow individuals to grow 6 plants per residence. The catch is that you must follow the distance requirements to grow at home, meaning you have to be 25 miles away from a dispensary (medical or adult use) to legally grow your medicine. If you live in Vegas good luck living 25 miles away from a dispensary.

Thats dumb. I might as well start looking at moving. No point in waiting years for it to pass, if at all, only to be told you are forced to buy terrible Cannabis at ridiculously inflated prices.

I re-read the bill, what you stated is in Sec. 14 Penalties: (1) Cultivates plants within a 25 miles of a retail store..... etc.

So anyone wants to homegrown is SOL and you're forced into the ridiculous dispensaries out here. Moral of the story, move to Colorado or Oregon if you actually enjoy growing. If Im still here, ill be voting NO as this doesn't help me what so ever.

Last edited:

Bobbles

Im going to use this thread as a hub for the election next year with news, here is what came out today:

Officials say Nevada likely to legalize recreational marijuana
http://www.ktnv.com/news/officials-say-nevada-likely-to-legalize-recreational-marijuana

The ability to grow at home needs to be on the bill. Just as in Colorado and Oregon. Dont mess this up Nevada. If there are any true connoisseurs out here, hit me up. Former med patient, cant afford it any longer.

Thats dumb. I might as well start looking at moving. No point in waiting years for it to pass, if at all, only to be told you are forced to buy terrible Cannabis at ridiculously inflated prices.

I re-read the bill, what you stated is in Sec. 14 Penalties: (1) Cultivates plants within a 25 miles of a retail store..... etc.

So anyone wants to homegrown is SOL and you're forced into the ridiculous dispensaries out here. Moral of the story, move to Colorado or Oregon if you actually enjoy growing. If Im still here, ill be voting NO as this doesn't help me what so ever.

I think this bill needs to pass, and then we need to work on implementing the change to allow home grows. The current issue is that the current dispensary owners are lobbying against home grows - obviously because all they see is dollar signs - and the second part of the issue is that the alcohol industry in lobbying for this new bill. The alcohol industry has gotten a change that forces any licensed establishment in the adult-use cannabis market to use a third party distributor (similar to the alcohol industry) to get the products to dispensaries, and the distributor license is going to prioritize groups that have previous liquor distribution experience.

Everybody wants to stick there hand in the honeypot, and it is up to the population of Nevada to speak out to our law makers and get these issues changed. Please don't vote no on a bill that is overall productive for Nevada based on a small stipulation that we can fight to change.

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
It's not truly 'legalization' if it restricts personal growing is it? Seigerblum is looking out for MME's and doesn't give a shit about you or you wanting to grow a plant and he won't allow it to be changed. Neither will the rest of the NV legislature.
Only way is through a citizens petition and that would take 4 years if it passed the 1st vote.

It's not truly 'legalization' if it restricts personal growing is it? Seigerblum is looking out for MME's and doesn't give a shit about you or you wanting to grow a plant and he won't allow it to be changed. Neither will the rest of the NV legislature.
Only way is through a citizens petition and that would take 4 years if it passed the 1st vote.

I completely agree. True legalization will be when anybody can grow cannabis in their home with the same ease as growing tomatoes, or pomegranates since we live in Vegas.

My point still stands though... if we as citizens of Nevada decide to block the bill that is going to legalize cannabis on a corporate level because it lacks a reasonable way for citizens to grow their own plants then we are part of the prohibition problem. As unfortunate as it is, we have to play ball by the regulators rules until we can work in the things that we want.

As an MME operator I can guarantee you that many of us are just as upset about the outrageous prices, and stipulations on home grows/processing. I personally have sent numerous emails to the State, Segerblum, Titus, and local jurisdictions on why many things need to change on the current state of Medical Marijuana.

I wish that I could be at home. grow some plants, make some RSO, and share it with my friend that has cancer... But I can't do it outside of the facility because of the shitty system we have in place. In fact its so dumb that as a licensed facility operator I can't even make something exclusive for one patient and give it to them directly. I'm forced to produce it and sell it to a dispensary, who ultimately is going to mark it up, and coordinate through them. Oh and did I mention that we can't even purchase our own products from dispensaries at whole sale price? So even if I wanted to donate meds that I've made, I'd have to purchase them at market price. Its dumb... its all dumb.. and now I'm ranting.

resinryder

Veteran
No one that lives in a large city will be able to grow their own. Those outside will be able to if they live far enough away. I won't vote for a bill that puts more money in your pocket on the supply side while taking more out of mine.
Besides, the 25 mile rule violates the equal protections guaranteed in the 11th Amendment of the US Constitution. Nye County Board of Commissioners checked into it and agreed, even passing a law in the county saying patients can still grow because, and I quote the former DA, "they didn't want to be involved in a constitutional lawsuit they couldn't win."

No one that lives in a large city will be able to grow their own. Those outside will be able to if they live far enough away. I won't vote for a bill that puts more money in your pocket on the supply side while taking more out of mine.
Besides, the 25 mile rule violates the equal protections guaranteed in the 11th Amendment of the US Constitution. Nye County Board of Commissioners checked into it and agreed, even passing a law in the county saying patients can still grow because, and I quote the former DA, "they didn't want to be involved in a constitutional lawsuit they couldn't win."

In case I didn't make it clear I think all individuals in Nevada, and our country, should be able to grow their own cannabis, and the 25mile rule is absolutely unconstitutional. However, I do understand the DA's statement... It is a liability for a State to allow its citizens to grow cannabis, strictly because of the federal legality.

resinryder

Veteran
In case I didn't make it clear I think all individuals in Nevada, and our country, should be able to grow their own cannabis, and the 25mile rule is absolutely unconstitutional. However, I do understand the DA's statement... It is a liability for a State to allow its citizens to grow cannabis, strictly because of the federal legality.

No, no you did make it clear. I just don't agree nor support the current or the awaiting model to be voted on.
The DA in Pahrump, sided with the patients, that the right to grow is a patients constitutional right in NV as well as a 11th amendment protection violation with the 25 mile rule the legislature added not with the state mmj law if I wasn't clear with that.

No, no you did make it clear. I just don't agree nor support the current or the awaiting model to be voted on.
The DA in Pahrump, sided with the patients, that the right to grow is a patients constitutional right in NV as well as a 11th amendment protection violation with the 25 mile rule the legislature added not with the state mmj law if I wasn't clear with that.

I think we misunderstood one another lol. I'm glad we're on the same page, its bullshit that the 25 mile rule exists and everybody should be able to grow at home.

MiracleMeds

It seems like a medical card holder could keep growing specific strains with proof that those strains aren't available in dispensaries. But you would probably be taken to court to prove it if caught. Opinions?

Here is what a Nevada attorney said about the medical law:

"Thank you for contacting our firm with your legal inquiry. To answer your question, no at this time there are no permits issued by the state or any other authority that would specifically allow a patient to continue cultivating based on lack of strain availability (or for any other reason). Unfortunately, the law regarding a patient's ability to continue self-cultivating is very convoluted and dependent on individual circumstances (strain availability, location of the patient's home, when they first applied for a patient card, indigence, illness, etc.), even local law enforcement seems unsure of how to enforce the new law. The law was written so that it leaves a lot of discretion to the law enforcement officers as to whether they should bring charges or not. With regard to lack of strain availability, patients are essentially left to prove in court (after charges have been filed) that they needed a certain strain to treat their ailments and that the strain was unavailable in a dispensary, which is not an ideal situation for the patients."

EastFortRock

I live in Oregon, but have relatives in Nevada. I would vote yes, even if you can't grow legally at home. You can have some weed in your car and not get busted or as in my case some dummy can accidentally leave a pipe in your car and you won't get busted for it. Or if if you decide to grow indoors anyway, you are much less likely to get in caught , because smell and possession are now legal and not probable cause to bust down your door, shoot your dog, and find some plants growing. Legality may also help alter the stupid drugged driving laws.

resinryder

Veteran
I'm still voting against it. Take the 25 mile bullshit out and I'll vote in favor of it.
LEO is running adds on tv now that say a mmj card doesn't allow you to drive under the influence. I was stopped a few years ago and my card showed up on the cops info. He asked if I had used recently. Of course I told him no. But the right cop could give a shit, haul you in for a drug test and you'd have to prove you weren't.
And for anyone that says, "vote it in and get the law makers to change it", remember, the mmj law was passed in 2001. It took 14-15 years for them to change the law allowing shops that were required in the original constitutional amendment. Nothing and I meant nothing would change anytime soon with the lawmakers raking in cash from mme owners who don't want us to grow our own

I'm still voting against it. Take the 25 mile bullshit out and I'll vote in favor of it.
LEO is running adds on tv now that say a mmj card doesn't allow you to drive under the influence. I was stopped a few years ago and my card showed up on the cops info. He asked if I had used recently. Of course I told him no. But the right cop could give a shit, haul you in for a drug test and you'd have to prove you weren't.
And for anyone that says, "vote it in and get the law makers to change it", remember, the mmj law was passed in 2001. It took 14-15 years for them to change the law allowing shops that were required in the original constitutional amendment. Nothing and I meant nothing would change anytime soon with the lawmakers raking in cash from mme owners who don't want us to grow our own

Unfortunately this is very true.. Again I operate a MME, but fully support patient home grows.

I had a friend get pulled over by Metro. After the officer pulled up that he was a patient and asked if he was UTI, the officer reacted aggressively and illegally searched his car. The cop found less than a gram of shake, threw it on the ground, stomped it out, and lectured my friend.

Its bullshit that we can legally have and purchase cannabis, but the cops treat you like a criminal. I don't expect this to change if adult use becomes legal, mostly because law enforcement is seasoned to despise cannabis.

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Symbiotic please keep us apprised of any developments as I moving to NV to lease some land with the thoughts of purchasing and am very interested in what is going on. As I understand it once I get my MMJ cards, as a patient I can grow 12 plants outdoors correct?

I read online on the upcoming vote that once we had the MMJ card we can apply to (someone TBD) and receive a "caregiver" status that allows up to grow (as long as we are not with in 25 miles of a dispensary and I am not) for up to 5 patients for a total of 60 plants or am I totally reading the online rules wrong?

I'm confused now?

Bobbles

Symbiotic please keep us apprised of any developments as I moving to NV to lease some land with the thoughts of purchasing and am very interested in what is going on. As I understand it once I get my MMJ cards, as a patient I can grow 12 plants outdoors correct?

I read online on the upcoming vote that once we had the MMJ card we can apply to (someone TBD) and receive a "caregiver" status that allows up to grow (as long as we are not with in 25 miles of a dispensary and I am not) for up to 5 patients for a total of 60 plants or am I totally reading the online rules wrong?

I'm confused now?

ResinRyder - Vote yes on the legalization law. The law at least reduces growing to a misdemeanor, makes cannabis accessible to all and eliminates the MMJ fee.

MegaYields - Yes you can may have 12 plants but they must be out of view and locked in some manner. From what I understand, from reading the bill, its a 12 plant max at any residence.

shaggyballs

Veteran
ResinRyder - Vote yes on the legalization law. The law at least reduces growing to a misdemeanor, makes cannabis accessible to all and eliminates the MMJ fee.

Yes, by all means vote yes on legislature even though you disagree with it's language and then you can consider yourself a settler like the cable commercial....LOL

Vote yes, to legalize because you will spend less time in jail with the new legalization in effect.
Just listen to the way that sounds when you say it out loud!